Syzygy / egbb discussion

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Daniel Shawul

Re: Where are you Houdart?

Post by Daniel Shawul »

Yes i want to see how you butchered the code. Send it to dshawul@yahoo.com
Ryan Benitez

Post by Ryan Benitez »

Houdini wrote:Daniel, I don't have time for your nonsense.
As I told you before, Houdini 4 will use Syzygy bases which is a far superior solution in many respects.
egbb are good, but Syzygy are excellent. Deal with it...
I call BS. It is not the system used but the probing code that is the issue. Saying that you have bitabases working but they are only good for analyzing but not games is avoiding the fact that they are not implemented correctly.
syzygy

Post by syzygy »

Ryan Benitez wrote:
As I told you before, Houdini 4 will use Syzygy bases which is a far superior solution in many respects.
I call BS. It is not the system used but the probing code that is the issue. Saying that you have bitabases working but they are only good for analyzing but not games is avoiding the fact that they are not implemented correctly.
I don't think you at all know what you're talking about. Both systems come with probing code. But you're just another one of those ... persons ... that seem to bear a grudge so this is just not interesting.
Daniel Shawul

Post by Daniel Shawul »

Ryan Benitez wrote:
Houdart's ignorance has been established with Kai's tests already. Ofcourse Toga and others implemented it correctly as they should be used and don't need any other DTM/DTZ to win games, which has shown the same ELO as others with DTM+bitbases. That is like an 100Gb solution to what you can do with bitbases alone, go figure ...
Ryan Benitez

Post by Ryan Benitez »

syzygy wrote:
Ryan Benitez wrote:
I don't think you at all know what you're talking about. Both systems come with probing code. But you're just another one of those ... persons ... that seem to bear a grudge so this is just not interesting.
Grudge? I don't know you. I simply do not accept claims on insufficient evidence. Comparing the whole system based on who makes to easiest example code to cut and paste into their robbolito based engine seems absurd to me. In practical terms I expect the same results with both systems given a competent implementation of each for the engine they are going into. Please show me data if you wish to claim otherwise.
Daniel Shawul

Post by Daniel Shawul »

In practical terms I expect the same results with both systems given a competent implementation of each for the engine they are going into.
It is just a load of crap. Kai has done tests with all bitbases and shown the same ELO for all with same error bars.
http://www.talkchess.com/forum/viewtopi ... 72&t=49684
Houdini

Post by Houdini »

syzygy wrote:I don't think you at all know what you're talking about. Both systems come with probing code. But you're just another one of those ... persons ... that seem to bear a grudge so this is just not interesting.
Agreed, the nonsense that has been written above is beyond even the usual standards of internet forums, we're really hitting very deep lows.

This discussion becomes even more insane when you consider that probably nobody else on this forum has the same EGTB implementation experience as I have. Is there another engine with successful Nalimov, Gaviota, Scorpio and Syzygy bases implementation?

What a freaking waste of time...

P.S. Daniel, if you want a copy of the code please send your e-mail to houdini@cruxis.be before tomorrow evening, after that I will be off-line until early November.
Daniel Shawul

Post by Daniel Shawul »

Are you for real? You butchered Scorpio bitbases implementation and thought they should be removed until Ferdinad showed you how it should be done. Here is a reminder.

http://www.talkchess.com/forum/viewtopi ... 05&t=49684

I already gave you my email address but didn't get anything ....
syzygy

Post by syzygy »

There is no reason to expect the "same" results as the technical details are vastly different.
Houdini

Post by Houdini »

Daniel, stop spreading FUD about the egbb probing in Houdini 3. It works very well for analysis.

Note that the egbb probing WILL be removed from Houdini 4, there is no point any longer now that Syzygy is available. Did you really think that I changed my mind? :lol:

And for the third time, send an e-mail to houdini@cruxis.be with your request for egbbdll.cpp so this can be handled tomorrow by the Houdini support.

Can this stop now?
Last edited by Houdini on Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.