chess programs should not be free or too cheap

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

rcmaddox
Full name: Robert C. Maddox

Re: chess programs should not be free or too cheap

Post by rcmaddox »

shrapnel wrote:
rcmaddox wrote:
kgburcham wrote:
first of all, I don't believe you are poor.
second I don't want 3200 elo offered to the poor.
If someone is unemployed or is on disability, I don't want that person dragging down my hobby because of his misfortune.
He should take up a free hobby, like checkers or otb chess, I want computer chess to be expensive for some.
kgburcham
Batista meets Ayn Rand.
I don't see anything wrong in what my friend kgburcham wrote that he should be made fun of. He is entitled to his point of view.
He is not stopping anyone from playing chess ; merely saying that he when spends money on something, he wants his full moneys worth . What is wrong with that ?
If he wants the best software which not everyone can afford, he is also prepared to pay a heavy price for it. That's fair, I think, so again, what's wrong with that ?
Nothing wrong with it at all - except that's not what he said, or at least not all he said.

I've been doing a little arithmetic here. I can rent the 100 core Rybka cluster for $685 a day (500 Euro), which works out to $250,0025 annually for 24/7 access to the cluster.

I don't know if the cluster is appreciably stronger than Komodo running on my modest, declasse laptop, but at least it's priced right! No doubt the teaming rabble are shunning it in droves, praise God! I wonder if I can negotiate an annual rate of $125,000 if I prepay?
syzygy

Post by syzygy »

shrapnel wrote:I don't see anything wrong in what my friend kgburcham wrote that he should be made fun of. He is entitled to his point of view.
He is not stopping anyone from playing chess ; merely saying that he when spends money on something, he wants his full moneys worth . What is wrong with that ?
Nothing, but he is already getting his full money's worth. In fact, he is complaining that he is getting more than his full money's worth.
If he wants the best software which not everyone can afford, he is also prepared to pay a heavy price for it. That's fair, I think, so again, what's wrong with that ?
If he is willing to pay $ 1,000,000 with a lot of luck he might be able to find a programmer that will write an engine for his exclusive use.
Everyone likes a free lunch, but just because someone wants better food and is prepared to pay for it, why should he be criticized or asked to go for spacewalks ?
He is criticizing the decisions of those that have the exclusive rights to decide what to do with their creations. That's a bit silly.
Uri Blass

Post by Uri Blass »

shrapnel wrote:
rcmaddox wrote:
kgburcham wrote:
first of all, I don't believe you are poor.
second I don't want 3200 elo offered to the poor.
If someone is unemployed or is on disability, I don't want that person dragging down my hobby because of his misfortune.
He should take up a free hobby, like checkers or otb chess, I want computer chess to be expensive for some.
kgburcham
Batista meets Ayn Rand.
I don't see anything wrong in what my friend kgburcham wrote that he should be made fun of. He is entitled to his point of view.
Everyone likes a free lunch, but just because someone wants better food and is prepared to pay for it, why should he be criticized or asked to go for spacewalks ?
I think that good people are not going to complain if everybody get a better food.

I have no objection to the possibility that everybody get better hardware and better chess software.

I think that it is better not to have a competition between humans A and B that is not about playing chess or about writing a better chess program but about the question if the pair of software and hardware of A is stronger than the pair of software and hardware of B.

Uri