Who is Don/Larry's new partner!?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Graham Banks

Re: Who is Don/Larry's new partner!?

Post by Graham Banks »

Codesquid wrote:
zullil wrote:Maybe A.R.B can join the team, since his system in invincible ...
+1 :wink:
gbanksnz at gmail.com
JuLieN
Full name: Julien Marcel

Post by JuLieN »

Graham Banks wrote:
Codesquid wrote:
zullil wrote:Maybe A.R.B can join the team, since his system in invincible ...
+1 :wink:
And that's why Graham is our favorite logo designer! ;)
"The only good bug is a dead bug." (Don Dailey)
[Blog: http://tinyurl.com/predateur ] [Facebook: http://tinyurl.com/fbpredateur ] [MacEngines: http://tinyurl.com/macengines ]
lkaufman

Post by lkaufman »

Although so far Don is doing ok and is able to work, we are already working with our new partner-to-be on a trial basis. All I'll say about his identity now is that he is an engine author and is well liked by all as far as I know. He has already contributed some promising ideas.
zullil
Full name: Louis Zulli

Post by zullil »

lkaufman wrote: is well liked by all
Well I guess that rules out A.R.B. :roll:
shrapnel

Post by shrapnel »

lkaufman wrote:Although so far Don is doing ok and is able to work, we are already working with our new partner-to-be on a trial basis. All I'll say about his identity now is that he is an engine author and is well liked by all as far as I know. He has already contributed some promising ideas.
That's good to hear ! Any patches coming up for Komodo 6 ?
In my online games, I definitely get the feeling that it is stronger than Houdini 3....it gets a definite advantage, then somehow it peters out.
Intuition tells me that a bug or two is holding back Komodo 6 from showing its full potential. Any patches/bug fixes in the near future ?
i7 5960X @ 4.1 Ghz, 64 GB G.Skill RipJaws RAM, Twin Asus ROG Strix OC 11 GB Geforce 2080 Tis
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

shrapnel wrote:....Any patches coming up for Komodo 6 ?
In my online games, I definitely get the feeling that it is stronger than Houdini 3....it gets a definite advantage, then somehow it peters out.
Intuition tells me that a bug or two is holding back Komodo 6 from showing its full potential. Any patches/bug fixes in the near future ?
Can't really say that I've seen anything wrong in the games I've watched.
gbanksnz at gmail.com
shrapnel

Post by shrapnel »

Graham Banks wrote:
Oh, there is nothing WRONG as such with Komodo 6, but it seems to let slip hard-won advantages against strong opponents.
I don't know what games you've watched, but I suggest you pit it against Houdini 3 in a LTC game...you will see what I mean !
i7 5960X @ 4.1 Ghz, 64 GB G.Skill RipJaws RAM, Twin Asus ROG Strix OC 11 GB Geforce 2080 Tis
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

shrapnel wrote:
Graham Banks wrote:
Oh, there is nothing WRONG as such with Komodo 6, but it seems to let slip hard-won advantages against strong opponents.
I don't know what games you've watched, but I suggest you pit it against Houdini 3 in a LTC game...you will see what I mean !
I've only watched 1CPU and 4CPU games played at CCRL 40/40 repeating.
I'm not saying that you're wrong necessarily, just that I've seen no real evidence at my end.
It should be interesting to see what Don and Larry have to say about your observations.

Cheers,
Graham.
gbanksnz at gmail.com
lkaufman

Post by lkaufman »

shrapnel wrote:
lkaufman wrote:Although so far Don is doing ok and is able to work, we are already working with our new partner-to-be on a trial basis. All I'll say about his identity now is that he is an engine author and is well liked by all as far as I know. He has already contributed some promising ideas.
That's good to hear ! Any patches coming up for Komodo 6 ?
I don't think we have fixed any bugs of significance so far, just made some small improvements. We can't really make any long term plans or commitments right now, but we are trying to decide on a plan for future releases. Of course if we do decide that a bug fix version is necessary it would be free to purchasers of Komodo 6. Right now I don't see the need for one.
As for comparison with Houdini 3, I expect that there is some reasonable time limit beyond which Komodo is stronger and below which Houdini is stronger, but we don't have enough data to draw that line yet. It may also be different for different number of threads, and for AMD vs Intel.
shrapnel

Post by shrapnel »

lkaufman wrote:
shrapnel wrote:
lkaufman wrote: I expect that there is some reasonable time limit beyond which Komodo is stronger and below which Houdini is stronger, but we don't have enough data to draw that line yet. It may also be different for different number of threads, and for AMD vs Intel.
Actually in my tests on my 6-Core, I have found the reverse to be true.... Komodo 6 beat Houdini 3 in a 15 minute Game and was held to a draw in a 1 hour game !
In fact the result confirmed my observations in online LTC games, for the following reason.
In the first game (15 min), Komodo 6 ( With White) surprised Houdini 3 with brilliant moves and jumped to an early lead. Due to the constraints of time, Houdini 3 was unable to come up with suitable replies..... the lead steadily increased and Komodo 6 won.
In the second game ( 1 hour) , Komodo 6 again jumped to an early lead with moves that Houdini 3 wasn't obviously expecting, but this time Houdini 3 had more time to find suitable replies and the lead slowly diminished ; concomitantly, Komodo 6 was unable to maintain the tempo which it had earlier set and the game petered out into a draw.
These are just my observations.
Anyway, you've given me some ideas with your post..will test them out.