Playing program for beginners?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

kaissa

Playing program for beginners?

Post by kaissa »

Hello,

I will be teaching again this year to teenage students. I need a program that will

1. Play at different ELO levels
2. Show threats and stuff

so that they can learn by playing instead of being hit by a freight train and not learn.

Chess Tiger on Ios is really nice but there is no Android or PC version. Chessmaster series like a good choice for the PC. Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Kempelen

Re: Playing program for beginners?

Post by Kempelen »

kaissa wrote:Hello,

I will be teaching again this year to teenage students. I need a program that will

1. Play at different ELO levels
2. Show threats and stuff

so that they can learn by playing instead of being hit by a freight train and not learn.

Chess Tiger on Ios is really nice but there is no Android or PC version. Chessmaster series like a good choice for the PC. Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
In my humble opinion, and taking into account that I am not a teacher, I would advise others to avoid a program that "show threats and stuff". This turns students a lazy aptitude. They need to think by themself and previse tactics before they happend. What is more, to propertly learn I would not let stundent to take back moves also. If they failt at a tactics move the game is lost. The pain of throw the game because a single move is the best medicine to learn to play propertly. I wish I would have been teached that way.... is my personal experience..... I was a student that let me to play the way you propose....
Fermin Serrano
Author of 'Rodin' engine
http://sites.google.com/site/clonfsp/
Vinvin
Full name: Vincent Lejeune

Post by Vinvin »

Chessmaster XI, may be ...
Vinvin
Full name: Vincent Lejeune

Post by Vinvin »

Robert Pope

Post by Robert Pope »

I would love to get Chessmaster XI, but the only place I have ever found it for sale is on ebay, usually at ridiculous prices. Is it for sale anywhere? Ubi has a link to buy it, but it just goes to their store, which doesn't have it.
jefk
Full name: Jef Kaan

Post by jefk »

well you could try this one:
http://www.arkangles.com/kchess/reviews.html

[quote="Robert Pope"]I would love to get Chessmaster XI, but the only place I have ever found it for sale is on ebay, usually at ridiculous prices. Is it for sale anywhere? Ubi has a link to buy it, but it just goes to their store, which doesn't have it.[/quote]
modolief

Post by modolief »

I think Lucas Chess is especially good. I have taught children as well, and this one has useful computer opponents that are less strong. I haven't used it extensively yet, but I think it has a lot of features you'll find useful. And the GUI is more modern than Chessmaster. Also, it's under steady development so you can expect progress with it rather than abandonware.

http://lucaschess.host22.com/