Personal ICS Survey question

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

JVMerlino

Personal ICS Survey question

Post by JVMerlino »

So I'm now running Myrddin regularly on ICS, and its rating generally hovers between 2500 and 2600. I've set the formula such that nobody rated more than 720 points below Myrddin can challenge it, because I believe every win/loss should come with a reward/penalty. But I haven't set an upper bound to the formula.

However, Myrddin regularly gets challenged by computer accounts that are 300 or even 400 points higher than Myrddin (typically running Komodo or Houdini). And, of course, it loses almost every time. I, personally, would never challenge another computer account even 100 points below Myrddin. But I wonder if I'm in the minority here.

What would YOU do if you were getting challenged by clearly superior engines. Noplay them? Change the formula so that only engines with ratings no more than 100 or 200 points could challenge? Suck it up and do nothing?

Just curious.... :)

Many thanks for your opinions,
jm
mar
Full name: Martin Sedlak

Re: Personal ICS Survey question

Post by mar »

JVMerlino wrote:What would YOU do if you were getting challenged by clearly superior engines.
Hello John,
I would offer a draw :)
No seriously I think that anything within 100 elo is playable. So your 100-200 upper limit seems reasonable.
The problem IMHO are error bars, I bet there are many players with not enough games to have an accurate rating, so having a larger lower limit seems reasonable (I guess startrating is low on ICS). Just my 2 cents.
dchoman

Post by dchoman »

I personally don't mind any number of games from engines within about 200 points, but I don't like many games in a row from engines much more than 200 points higher if they are not run by the author. I am not worried about protecting/building my rating, but I just prefer to play engines where the operator is part of the engine team. In the past, if something like this annoyed me, I've just asked people to limit the number of games and that has worked fine. But I did recently set an upper limit of +300 points to cut down on some of it.

By the way, I have had EXchess challenge Myrrdincomp recently, usually two games in a row, and EXchess is currently ~150 points higher. My apologies if this caused distress. If you would prefer, I would be happy to play unrated. I do find it interesting to play engines by other authors.

- Dan
Peter Skinner
Full name: Peter Skinner

Post by Peter Skinner »

JVMerlino wrote:So I'm now running Myrddin regularly on ICS, and its rating generally hovers between 2500 and 2600. I've set the formula such that nobody rated more than 720 points below Myrddin can challenge it, because I believe every win/loss should come with a reward/penalty. But I haven't set an upper bound to the formula.

However, Myrddin regularly gets challenged by computer accounts that are 300 or even 400 points higher than Myrddin (typically running Komodo or Houdini). And, of course, it loses almost every time. I, personally, would never challenge another computer account even 100 points below Myrddin. But I wonder if I'm in the minority here.

What would YOU do if you were getting challenged by clearly superior engines. Noplay them? Change the formula so that only engines with ratings no more than 100 or 200 points could challenge? Suck it up and do nothing?

jm
Depends on the ICS. Are we talking FICS or ICC?

Peter
I was kicked out of Chapters because I moved all the Bibles to the fiction section.
JVMerlino

Post by JVMerlino »

Peter Skinner wrote:
JVMerlino wrote:So I'm now running Myrddin regularly on ICS, and its rating generally hovers between 2500 and 2600. I've set the formula such that nobody rated more than 720 points below Myrddin can challenge it, because I believe every win/loss should come with a reward/penalty. But I haven't set an upper bound to the formula.

jm

Peter
ICC.

jm
JVMerlino

Post by JVMerlino »

dchoman wrote:I personally don't mind any number of games from engines within about 200 points, but I don't like many games in a row from engines much more than 200 points higher if they are not run by the author. I am not worried about protecting/building my rating, but I just prefer to play engines where the operator is part of the engine team. In the past, if something like this annoyed me, I've just asked people to limit the number of games and that has worked fine. But I did recently set an upper limit of +300 points to cut down on some of it.

By the way, I have had EXchess challenge Myrrdincomp recently, usually two games in a row, and EXchess is currently ~150 points higher. My apologies if this caused distress. If you would prefer, I would be happy to play unrated. I do find it interesting to play engines by other authors.

- Dan
Hi Dan,

No, because, as you stated, ExChess is, as I write this (and rather surprisingly) only about 180 points higher than Myrddin. Like I said, my complaint (whether justified or not) is about engines that are rated 2900+, typically 300+ points higher than Myrddin.

jm
Ferdy

Post by Ferdy »

Up to 4 games per day for opp higher by 200 or more probably is fine. That way you will have the opportunity to examine and update for example the played book lines. This is also a good chance to see blunders and how the game progresses by looking at the score graph.
Kempelen

Post by Kempelen »

Ferdy wrote:Up to 4 games per day for opp higher by 200 or more probably is fine. That way you will have the opportunity to examine and update for example the played book lines. This is also a good chance to see blunders and how the game progresses by looking at the score graph.
Can that be done only with the formula or does it need something to be programmed in the engine?
Fermin Serrano
Author of 'Rodin' engine
http://sites.google.com/site/clonfsp/
Peter Skinner
Full name: Peter Skinner

Post by Peter Skinner »

JVMerlino wrote:
Peter Skinner wrote:

jm

Peter
ICC.

jm
If ICC, I would play as many games as possible. Rating be damned. The learning from book lines and result based learning will only improve your engines playing strength over the long haul.

Wide variety of operators = wide variety of learning opportunities.

I don't see the top people as all Houdini's or Komodo's, but rather 30 different setups I can test against and learn from. This is specifically why I never run massive hardware on ICC. I learn more from the losses than the wins :)

Peter
I was kicked out of Chapters because I moved all the Bibles to the fiction section.
Ferdy

Post by Ferdy »

Kempelen wrote:
Ferdy wrote:Up to 4 games per day for opp higher by 200 or more probably is fine. That way you will have the opportunity to examine and update for example the played book lines. This is also a good chance to see blunders and how the game progresses by looking at the score graph.
Can that be done only with the formula or does it need something to be programmed in the engine?
With that game limit per day and rating restrictions, that thing has to be programmed.