Hiarcs wins 3rd World Chess Software Championship

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Modern Times

Re: Hiarcs wins 3rd World Chess Software Championship

Post by Modern Times »

hgm wrote:
All in all the chances of Houdini to win such an event would not be very good. Especially if it has to face 2400-core opponents. It doesn't really surprise me at all that Robert is shy to compete! :lol:
:D It would win quite easily I think. Scaling beyond 16 cores is not that good normally, and Houdini has a few hundred Elo up its sleeve to start with anyway.
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

Well, apparently Robert thinks differently... :lol: :lol: :lol:

No amount of talking has ever made anyone World Champion. That's for sure.
Modern Times

Post by Modern Times »

hgm wrote:Well, apparently Robert thinks differently... :lol: :lol: :lol:

No amount of talking has ever made anyone World Champion. That's for sure.
True. On the other hand, winning a tournament where no top 10 engines are competing certainly doesn't make you one either. It is a joke.
hgm

Post by hgm »

Actually it does. The official World Champion. It does not matter who doesn't compete. Only who does. Its the same in every sport, and it has never been different. You become World Champion by winning the official World Championship. Any other claim on that title is just bragging.

Seems to me you are just in denial...
Modern Times

Post by Modern Times »

hgm wrote:Actually it does. The official World Champion
No it doesn't. Show me where this is the "Official" World Championship ??

You are in denial about what these tournaments have become - irrelevant.
Laskos
Full name: Kai Laskos

Post by Laskos »

hgm wrote:Actually it does. The official World Champion. It does not matter who doesn't compete. Only who does. Its the same in every sport, and it has never been different. You become World Champion by winning the official World Championship. Any other claim on that title is just bragging.

Seems to me you are just in denial...
Is ICGA affiliated with FIDE? Just curious about FIDE allowing social events like WCCC to be called whatever. How are the girls there, in Yokohama?
Gerd Isenberg

Post by Gerd Isenberg »

Laskos wrote:Is ICGA affiliated with FIDE? Just curious about FIDE allowing social events like WCCC to be called whatever. How are the girls there, in Yokohama?
ICGA is Affiliated International Organization of FIDE, with the aim to organize the World Computer Chess Championship.
http://www.fide.com/component/fidedirec ... affiliated
http://ilk.uvt.nl/icga/organisation/

There once was a statement in ICGAJ related to FIDE/ICGA, where FIDE abstained from computer-computer championships, and authorized ICGA in organizing their own championships.
Modern Times

Post by Modern Times »

But there is no "Official" World Championship. Anyone can host an even and call it that. ACCA does for example

http://chessprogramming.wikispaces.com/ ... ampionship

http://compchess.org/ACCAWCRCC/2013ACCAWCRCC/WCRCC.html

That is no less of a World Championship than the ICGA. In fact it is has far more participants than the ICGA can muster.
Gerd Isenberg

Post by Gerd Isenberg »

Modern Times wrote:But there is no "Official" World Championship. Anyone can host an even and call it that. ACCA does for example

http://chessprogramming.wikispaces.com/ ... ampionship

http://compchess.org/ACCAWCRCC/2013ACCAWCRCC/WCRCC.html

That is no less of a World Championship than the ICGA. In fact it is has far more participants than the ICGA can muster.
I don't know exactly per jure. I assume they have at least some customary right for the exact wording "World Computer Chess Championship", ie. "Livingston Chess960 Computer World Championship" is Ok. I wonder why the Yokohama game events, sponsored by "Brain & Mind Sports Organization" with ICGA president David Levy involved, in ICGAJ mentioned as "Brain & Mind-Sports Computer Olympiad" i.e., the 17th Computer Olympiad, is called "Games Tournament 2013" on their current site. Problems with IOC?
hgm

Post by hgm »

Modern Times wrote:
hgm wrote:Actually it does. The official World Champion
No it doesn't. Show me where this is the "Official" World Championship ??

You are in denial about what these tournaments have become - irrelevant.
As others mentioned ICGA derives the right to conduct official compute-chess world championships from its affiliation to FIDE. (Check the FIDE website.)

So in fact the WCRCC is less of a World Championship than WCCC. And one could argue that it is in fact nothing but a 'Mickey-Mouse title'. To make it official, they should seek ICGA recognition. (Or FIDE recognition, but FIDE would most likely refer you to ICGA.) I see no reason why they would not get it; there is wide support amongst Chess programmers for these events.

That is how it works in the real world. Communities of people conducting a certain activity tend to create an association handling their interests, to prevent chaos. (Like every idiot in Hong Kong or elsewhere starting their own 'World Championship' in their backyard.) For Chess this association is FIDE, for chess programmers it is ICGA.

ICGA is a pretty democratic organization. If the programmers don't like how things are handled, they just have to snap their fingers, and they will be handled differently. Things are as they are by majority consensus of the members. Like it should be.

Of course chess programmers that are not members, or don't raise their voice to be heard, will have no influence. And people that are not Chess programmers at all, have no say whatsoever. (Sorry Ray...)

Seems to me there are just a lot of people here that are sour that the World does not automatically shape itself in the form they would prefer, without them having to make any effort whatsoever to make that happen.