Amazon $50 gift card

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Albert Silver

Re: Amazon $50 gift card

Post by Albert Silver »

bob wrote:
AdminX wrote:I received a Amazon $50 gift card. Now what to do with it? I would like to spent it on Chess. Chess Book, Software or Clock maybe ??? Any ideas? What's good in the book world? Due to internet access I have not read many books lately, except for ebooks that is.
If you have a kindle, buy books galore. My favorite e-toy in fact..
Agreed. I have a 7-inch tablet and though I do play some online blitz with it, the rest of the 90% I use it for is reading. In fact, I swap around with it and my 4.7-inch hi-res phone which is very usable as a reader. The online syncing means the machines always know where you left off even if you were reading on the other before.

When strolling about I very much enjoy Audible audiobooks, some of which are free (Heart of Darkness is read by Kenneth Branagh) or heavily discounted. I prefer this than listening to music to be honest.
"Tactics are the bricks and sticks that make up a game, but positional play is the architectural blueprint."
bob

Post by bob »

Albert Silver wrote:
bob wrote:
AdminX wrote:I received a Amazon $50 gift card. Now what to do with it? I would like to spent it on Chess. Chess Book, Software or Clock maybe ??? Any ideas? What's good in the book world? Due to internet access I have not read many books lately, except for ebooks that is.
Agreed. I have a 7-inch tablet and though I do play some online blitz with it, the rest of the 90% I use it for is reading. In fact, I swap around with it and my 4.7-inch hi-res phone which is very usable as a reader. The online syncing means the machines always know where you left off even if you were reading on the other before.

When strolling about I very much enjoy Audible audiobooks, some of which are free (Heart of Darkness is read by Kenneth Branagh) or heavily discounted. I prefer this than listening to music to be honest.
Audio is gone on the most recent kindle paper white. But I am a total fan. I have about 500 books in mine, some free, most not. Project Gutenberg is pretty damned nice...

If you want some interesting fiction, try "Wired" and the sequel "Amped". Couple of the best books I have read... More unexpected turns than one can count.
Albert Silver

Post by Albert Silver »

bob wrote:
Albert Silver wrote:
bob wrote:

Audio is gone on the most recent kindle paper white. But I am a total fan. I have about 500 books in mine, some free, most not. Project Gutenberg is pretty damned nice...

If you want some interesting fiction, try "Wired" and the sequel "Amped". Couple of the best books I have read... More unexpected turns than one can count.
Will do. In turn, check out "Wool".

I love the insta-dictionary in the Kindle software, no matter the language. It means that if I run into a word I don't recognize while reading Victor Hugo (in French), I get an instant French dictionary definition, same for Portuguese while reading Machado de Assis, which has been my latest literary bend.
"Tactics are the bricks and sticks that make up a game, but positional play is the architectural blueprint."
Kirk

Post by Kirk »

A couple of enjoyable books

Modern Chess Analysis by the late Robin Smith

Karl Marx Plays Chess and Other Reports on the World's Oldest Game by Andrew Soltis

Bobby Fischer Goes to War and The Bobby Fischer I Knew by Arnold Denker
Queen of the Kings game by Polgar

Five Crowns by Yasser Seirawan (I like 'No Regret's by him too)

and last but not least Worlds Greatest Chess Games by Nunn and Emms. It is fun to read with your favorite chess engine(s)
“He knew all the tricks, dramatic irony, metaphor, pathos, puns, parody, litotes and... satire. He was vicious”
AdminX

Post by AdminX »

bob wrote:
I own a Kindle, Nook HD+, and iPad. Mostly use the Nook since I rooted it to run full Android. I have both the Kindle and Nook apps running on it. Most of my reading have been tech books. I have read a few works of fiction lately like "Shadow of a Dead Star" and "Red Eye" by Michael Shean. I only have 5 Chess books in my E-library so far, but way more real books on my book shelf.

Of late I've been watching the World Chess Cup Matches and this got me thinking of getting back into going over chess games using a real board. On a side note I really have enjoyed casting those WCC Matches on my Big Screen, I wish we had this tech back during the Fischer vs. Spassky match. I'm not saying that going over the games in the Newspaper the following day was a bad thing. :D
"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."

Post by Henk »

I will write a book about my chess program Skipper. It will cost 50$.
So you have to wait a while.
AdminX

Post by AdminX »

Henk wrote:I will write a book about my chess program Skipper. It will cost 50$.
So you have to wait a while.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Post by AdminX »

kaissa wrote:Understanding Chess Middlegames by John Nunn (Jan 10, 2012)
$17.46

Understanding Chess Endgames by John Nunn (Aug 25, 2009)
$17.46

Understanding Chess Move by Move by John Nunn (Feb 14, 2001)
$16.26

should give you hours of chess enjoyment.

Regards,
Strongly looking at these Nunn options.

Post by AdminX »

Albert Silver wrote:
There are excellent chess ebooks and one advantage is they are cheaper than their print brethren. If you don't already have them, I highly recommend:

Garry Kasparov on Garry Kasparov, Part 1: 1973-1985 [Kindle Edition]

His detailed notes on his games are truly fascinating. The text tends to be a bit overwhelming with all the dates, results and opponents, but there are many extensive quotes by players and coaches who recount their impressions. All in all, easily one of his best and most interesting works IMHO.

Zurich 1953 by Najdorf

Please note that I think Najdorf's book is superior to Bronstein's.

Finally, if you seek a book on the middlegame or endgame, I would recommend either:

Find the Right Plan with Anatoly Karpov [Kindle Edition]

or

Fundamental Chess Endings by Lamprecht and Mueller [Kindle Edition]

It is well-known that Karpov actually wrote very little in the books with his name, and this is no big exception. However, the story behind this book is that the main author, Anatoly Matsukevich, showed his manuscript to Karpov, who read it, and the champion liked it so much, he added some material of his own, and accepted to use his name to promote it. I think the book is excellent.

Fundamental Chess Endings is not new, but was thoroughly revised with endgame tablebases and input by Dvoretsky. The Kindle edition was carefully made and the many links and larger diagrams show the attention to detail. FCE is generally considered a reference book, but can be considered a textbook as well, since the work contains many exercises as well as a summary of vital points to remember for each type of endgame.
Hi Albert,

When I saw Zurich 1953, I thought I already had it. However then I realized it was by Bronstein (Dover Edition) and not by Najdorf! I was not even aware that Najdorf wrote a book on that tournament. Will have to take a look at that one as well.

Thanks! :D

Post by fern »

Man, forget fpr w while about chess..
Get "The sleepwalkers", a fantastic book about how IWW happened.
Just 14 buck in kindle regards
fern