Amazon $50 gift card

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

AdminX

Amazon $50 gift card

Post by AdminX »

I received a Amazon $50 gift card. Now what to do with it? I would like to spent it on Chess. Chess Book, Software or Clock maybe ??? Any ideas? What's good in the book world? Due to internet access I have not read many books lately, except for ebooks that is.
"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."

Re: Amazon $50 gift card

Post by jdart »

IMO you can't go wrong with a recent issue of Informant or ChessBase magazine (if you don't subscribe already). (NIC Yearbook is good too but more narrowly focused on openings).

--Jon
overlord

Post by overlord »

I also got Amazon voucher some weeks ago. I bought John Watson book - Play the French 4th edition. Really good book. Price is about 25 USD.
Gerd Isenberg

Post by Gerd Isenberg »

German amazon has M.M. Botvinnik
"Meine neuen Ideen zur Schachprogrammierung" ;-)

http://www.amazon.de/Meine-neuen-Schach ... 3540110941
Henk

Post by Henk »

AdminX wrote:I received a Amazon $50 gift card. Now what to do with it? I would like to spent it on Chess. Chess Book, Software or Clock maybe ??? Any ideas? What's good in the book world? Due to internet access I have not read many books lately, except for ebooks that is.
My best chess book is A. Kotow. "Lehrbuch der Schachstrategie (Band 2)"

These chess books of Nimzowitch (Mein System) were entertaining too, but its all about blocking and uberdeckung.

To be more accurate: my most entertaining chess book was a Dutch one:
Hans Bouwmeester: "Schaken als vak, brug naar het professionele schaak"

I also had a small square chess book about "counter gambits". Very entertaining. Don't know the author. Unfortunately I lost the book.
Henk

Post by Henk »

Henk wrote:
AdminX wrote:I received a Amazon $50 gift card. Now what to do with it? I would like to spent it on Chess. Chess Book, Software or Clock maybe ??? Any ideas? What's good in the book world? Due to internet access I have not read many books lately, except for ebooks that is.
My best chess book is A. Kotow. "Lehrbuch der Schachstrategie (Band 2)"

These chess books of Nimzowitch (Mein System) were entertaining too, but its all about blocking and uberdeckung.

To be more accurate: my most entertaining chess book was a Dutch one:
Hans Bouwmeester: "Schaken als vak, brug naar het professionele schaak"

I also had a small square chess book about "counter gambits". Very entertaining. Don't know the author. Unfortunately I lost the book.
Author is T.D. Harding. Today there are newer versions of that book. I had the one of 1973 I guess.
Kempelen

Post by Kempelen »

Buy a tactics book. They are always good to stay fit and there are a couple of them from this year which look promising.
Fermin Serrano
Author of 'Rodin' engine
http://sites.google.com/site/clonfsp/
kaissa

Post by kaissa »

Understanding Chess Middlegames by John Nunn (Jan 10, 2012)
$17.46

Understanding Chess Endgames by John Nunn (Aug 25, 2009)
$17.46

Understanding Chess Move by Move by John Nunn (Feb 14, 2001)
$16.26

should give you hours of chess enjoyment.

Regards,
Albert Silver

Post by Albert Silver »

There are excellent chess ebooks and one advantage is they are cheaper than their print brethren. If you don't already have them, I highly recommend:

Garry Kasparov on Garry Kasparov, Part 1: 1973-1985 [Kindle Edition]

His detailed notes on his games are truly fascinating. The text tends to be a bit overwhelming with all the dates, results and opponents, but there are many extensive quotes by players and coaches who recount their impressions. All in all, easily one of his best and most interesting works IMHO.

Zurich 1953 by Najdorf

Please note that I think Najdorf's book is superior to Bronstein's.

Finally, if you seek a book on the middlegame or endgame, I would recommend either:

Find the Right Plan with Anatoly Karpov [Kindle Edition]

or

Fundamental Chess Endings by Lamprecht and Mueller [Kindle Edition]

It is well-known that Karpov actually wrote very little in the books with his name, and this is no big exception. However, the story behind this book is that the main author, Anatoly Matsukevich, showed his manuscript to Karpov, who read it, and the champion liked it so much, he added some material of his own, and accepted to use his name to promote it. I think the book is excellent.

Fundamental Chess Endings is not new, but was thoroughly revised with endgame tablebases and input by Dvoretsky. The Kindle edition was carefully made and the many links and larger diagrams show the attention to detail. FCE is generally considered a reference book, but can be considered a textbook as well, since the work contains many exercises as well as a summary of vital points to remember for each type of endgame.
"Tactics are the bricks and sticks that make up a game, but positional play is the architectural blueprint."
bob

Post by bob »

If you have a kindle, buy books galore. My favorite e-toy in fact..