Hispanic chess engines + Winboard Zeta Pack number 18

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

pedrox

Re: Hispanic chess engines + Winboard Zeta Pack number 18

Post by pedrox »

hgm wrote:Indeed, he plays deaf and dumb as soon as anyone asks for that source code. He posted in that thread, so he was well aware of the issue. It is a GPL violation in the first place to not package the source (or a link to it) with the modified executable, but you can get away with it if you take utmost care to make sure that you supply the source instantly to anyone that asks. If you are not willing to take that care, but rather be free to walk out of any discussion about it at any time you like, you should have not brought that obligation on yourself by not providing the source code unrequested (i.e. only by request of the GPL)

Whether he likes to give it to me, has reasons for not wanting to give it to me, dislikes me, or feels he has good reason to dislike me and thinks that others should dislike me too, is all utterly irrelevant. The GPL does not state that you should only provide source code on request to people that you like and are nice to you. It states that you should make it public. Attaching conditions that others should behave nice to you is exactly what the GPL explicitly says you cannot do. You have to render the source code unconditionally, or you are violating the copyrights.
HG,

The following link belongs to your server and has been taken off a thread in this fórum:

http://hgm.nubati.net/WinBoard-4.6beta.zip

In the download you can see a Winboard executable, but you do not find neither a license nor the source code or a text file. In this case you not only break Winboard license, you break the license also polyglot.

I'm not going to defend the right to publish a version of Winboard Zeta if I can not post the code. But if you talk about the GPL you should first meet her.

You do not want the demise of Winboard Zeta, but you've participated in every thread related to Winboard Zeta criticizing each work of Alex.

This not only happens with Winboard Zeta, so does Arena, you take advantage of every thread on Arena to criticize Arena team work and to say that Winboard already a fact that does the same as Arena.

You take advantage of these threads to offer beta versions of your Winboard and I show you these versions do not meet the GPL.

You should be more respectful of the work of others. I do not see anyone in the Arena or Winboard Zeta team involved in the threads where you provide a new version of Winboard, I do not see anyone criticizing your work.

Of course I do not share your opinion about Winboard Zeta, this version is completely stable and I have no problems in thousands of games. The engine manager is simple to install Winboard or UCI engine the easiest way, you can provide openning books in various formats, GUI can use tablebases. The tournament manager is also simple and intuitive, you can follow the progress of the games with standings, results and elos, it allows to know if a game has ended in a non-normal situation, to repeat a game, etc.
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

IGarcia wrote:If you take many sources of something (say information) and you put all together (say a book) you have your rights for the work it took. In this case because the sources (gui and engines) are gpl or freeware he has to do something "else" he is not doing. Why? I dont know.
Seems you are defending code theft, because "you don't know" why it is bad. But there is no arguing with the law, it is what it is. If you want to side with the criminals in public, because you think the law is bad and should be broken, that is your business...
hgm

Post by hgm »

pedrox wrote:The following link belongs to your server and has been taken off a thread in this fórum:

http://hgm.nubati.net/WinBoard-4.6beta.zip

In the download you can see a Winboard executable, but you do not find neither a license nor the source code or a text file. In this case you not only break Winboard license, you break the license also polyglot.
I don't see your point. So what if I not only steal software, but maim and kill to do it...? Does that make Alex any less of a code thief, and WinBoard Zeta any less an infringement of the GPL??? Seems all you say is utterly irrelevant.

Do you see links in this thread to any of my software? (Yes, one, but only because YOU posted it...) And does the fact that my posting behavior is not to your taste make Alex any less a code thief??? As a matter of fact there aren't that many threads about WinBoard Zeta, and if I am in all of them, it is only to point out that this is pirated software.

As a matter of fact, the code of both Polyglot and these WinBoard beta versions is available at all times in the source repository of my website, which people know how to find, and to which there are working links from the home page of the same website as where the mentioned zip file comes from. I consider that to be enough. If you don't, well, sue me!

I am in no way trying to withold GPL code from anyone, let alone people that ask for it, nor do I take active measures for people to make it difficult to get that code. Alex does all those things. If you cannot perceive that difference, then that says more about you than about me or Alex...
IGarcia

Post by IGarcia »

hgm wrote:
IGarcia wrote:If you take many sources of something (say information) and you put all together (say a book) you have your rights for the work it took. In this case because the sources (gui and engines) are gpl or freeware he has to do something "else" he is not doing. Why? I dont know.
Seems you are defending code theft, because "you don't know" why it is bad. But there is no arguing with the law, it is what it is. If you want to side with the criminals in public, because you think the law is bad and should be broken, that is your business...
You are quoting at convenience and taking out of context all.

I do not support GPL violation. I just don't know why Guerrero don't follow rules and I don't care.

You keep comparing GPL violation to other -incomparable- crimes. In every society you have different punishment for different crimes. Comparing this to bank robbery, a Ferrari stolen and such sort of crimes is an exaggeration.

GPL is not followed for many, not only Gerrero. And what you will do? You can keep complaining and nothing will happen, also you can let it go.

I truly think your GLP winboard will live longer than the closed, non gpl, derivate.
hgm

Post by hgm »

You can see what I do (and will continue to do): Every time the subject of WinBoard Zeta comes up here, I will shame it as a GPL violation, and Alex Guerrero as a code thief.

For me, that is fun enough. Whether the FSF will want to take any legal action is up to them, and frankly, I don't care. Like you mentioned, I don't really need the source code of WinBoard Zeta. The modifications that were worthwile were not so difficult to implement independently.
pedrox

Post by pedrox »

hgm wrote:You can see what I do (and will continue to do): Every time the subject of WinBoard Zeta comes up here, I will shame it as a GPL violation, and Alex Guerrero as a code thief.

For me, that is fun enough. Whether the FSF will want to take any legal action is up to them, and frankly, I don't care. Like you mentioned, I don't really need the source code of WinBoard Zeta. The modifications that were worthwile were not so difficult to implement independently.
Alex Guerrero idea was to publish the source code for Winboard Zeta and donate the images created for the public use.

Alex has changed his opinion and he believes that it is worth continuing with Winboard Zeta project. He considers that it is necessary to belittle his work, which you have done from the start (I could provide links for your nice comments). As you say now you do not need the source code, is another example of belittling their work and this is what you have done in each thread about Winboard Zeta and this is what you do in every thread Arena.

I agree with the decision of Alex. I'm tired of seeing your contempt for the work of others when it comes to Winboard and do not like your threats (FSF). You are the first that does not comply with the GPL, since your distribute beta versions without a license, without code and without providing a link to the download code or to your website. Yes, this is silly, but you do not and no one does. However, in this thread two persons told me that if I do not then I fail.

I therefore feel obliged to withdraw Winboard Zeta, I have removed the links from the website. I feel the harm caused to all programmers of Winboard, but not for you since. Winboard Zeta began in Winboard X and did not use your code.

As Ignacio says, this is not a problem about the GPL, this is a problem that you have when there is an alternative to Winboard, with the source code also you'd still have a problem and attacking in the same way to Winboard Zeta saying that everything presented is obsolete. I think (and Alex too) that Winboard has become your toy. And you only want one version of your toy.

When Winboard Zeta began, neither Alex nor I made any comment on your Winboard, nobody has despised your job, Winboard Zeta was only alternative. I could have done propaganada in forums saying that I use Winboard Zeta because I have problems with Winboard, and this has been true, I have not used this to belittle your work. However you do it with others and what you do with each derivative of Winboard.

I now know I should not post Winboard Zeta under the conditions that I did, this is wrong. But I have to say that you are a disappointment to me, I respect you as a programmer, but you disappoint me as a person.

That's all I have to say respect.
hgm

Post by hgm »

Well, let one thing be absolutely clear: I don't care a hoot about whether you respect. Especially since most of what you say are just fabrications of your own mind.

For one, I am part of the official GNU XBoard project, which means that in practice on everyday matters I represent GNU in making decisions about XBoard. And GNU can violate the licence on their own software as much as they want, and I am acting as their de-facto representative...

You are just trying to distract attention from Alex'wrongdoings by smearing me. To equate my alleged violation of the GPL of providing a bare executable of a beta version for which the sources are available on the GNU website to Alex' intentional and willful witholding of source code from others to prevent that his patches can be incorporated in the main branch, is as silly as insisting that someone is a shoplifter when he carriers the one and single single item he wants to by to the cash register in a supermarkt while the supermatket's rules say you have to use a shopping basket.

The harm is to all users of WinBoard, because Alex' misbehavior prevents that all developments can be collected in a single version, and they now have to choose between versions lacking some features, or lacking others.

I never belittled the work of Alex. I did have some criticism on claiming support for book formats with unknown probing algorithms, which I think is fully justified. Seems to me he is using this as a (flawed) pretext to 'justify' withholding the source, which he never intended to release in the first place.

Note that I am not suppressing anything, that is another of your defaming fabrications. Alex can distribute WinBoard Zeta all he likes, the only thing he has to do is publish the source code, or the link to the source code, or even just mail it to me (if he has no opportunity to host it himself) so that I can put it on line. Nothing would be simpler than that. The only one that is stirring up trouble here is Alex, not me. And now you are trying to argue that it is not the fault of the perpetrator when he is caught in a crime, but of the one who exposes him!
pedrox

Post by pedrox »

hgm wrote: For one, I am part of the official GNU XBoard project, which means that in practice on everyday matters I represent GNU in making decisions about XBoard. And GNU can violate the licence on their own software as much as they want, and I am acting as their de-facto representative...
THIS IS ILLEGAL

This should not be so, since you're not the only programmer of Winboard. You can not take the code of Winboard X and use in the main version of Winboard and then do what you want because you are a representative of GNU.
pedrox

Post by pedrox »

hgm wrote:I never belittled the work of Alex.
You've made ​​clear and not exactly with open books. When I did the presentation of Winboard Zeta you said that all Winboard Zeta is obsolete. You've shown pictures of Winboard Zeta with a malfunction trying to belittle the work of Alex, but there are users who like the images created by Alex and then you do option in your Winboard and you've published in the same thread of Winboard Zeta four hours after their presentanción.

This is a lack of consideration and more if you are the current main author of Winboard.

You can not see that there is a derivative of Winboard. You'll catch all for the major version and then what sense does it make a derivative? And the derivative programmers have to hear that his version does not have anything interesting since everything is in the version that you represent.
Last edited by pedrox on Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
pedrox

Post by pedrox »

hgm wrote: You are just trying to distract attention from Alex'wrongdoings by smearing me.
I have already acknowledged that the publication of Winboard Zeta should not have done if I had not the source code available to publish.

I have already said that the pack has been removed and is no longer available. Winboard Zeta is a finish project.

No need to continue discussing this.