Strange error in "Chess Pro - with coach"

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

JBNielsen

Strange error in "Chess Pro - with coach"

Post by JBNielsen »

[d]8/K3Pbbk/8/8/8/8/8/8 w - - 0 1 bm ;

"Chess Pro - with coach" for Ipad/Iphone will play e7-e8 and promote to B or N.
It also happens if black has a N on g7.
The error also occurs with reversed colors.

Could it be caused by a rule in the program that says BB versus B etc. is a draw?
JBNielsen

Re: Strange error in "Chess Pro - with coach"

Post by JBNielsen »

JBNielsen wrote:[d]8/K3Pbbk/8/8/8/8/8/8 w - - 0 1 bm ;

"Chess Pro - with coach" for Ipad/Iphone will play e7-e8 and promote to B or N.
It also happens if black has a N on g7.
The error also occurs with reversed colors.

Could it be caused by a rule in the program that says BB versus B etc. is a draw?
I forgot to state clearly, that the program gives the move a score of zero, so it expects it to be a drawing move.
tiger

Post by tiger »

This bug has already been noticed and fixed a few weeks ago. Now the app never plays the promotion.

The bug was caused by the draw detection in the evaluation function. It was... trying to be a little too smart. :)

Thank you for reporting this.
JBNielsen

Post by JBNielsen »

tiger wrote:This bug has already been noticed and fixed a few weeks ago. Now the app never plays the promotion.

The bug was caused by the draw detection in the evaluation function. It was... trying to be a little too smart. :)

Thanks for correcting it.

When will the new version come as an update?

Your program is very nice; especially on an Ipad.

I must say I thought it was a program only for beginners because of the name "with coach". It was only because I was looking for a program with multivariation mode; particularly with the option as showing the best moves on the board with arrows, that I found your program. Very nice with the arrows!
Also nice with the details-option so you can see the score, depth and expected line.
Analyzing games with the possibility of having lines in lines is also very nice!
So this program is also good for Experts, but probably the best for beginners.

I have a few comments; though:
1) In the opening it sometimes proposes some moves with the pawns on the a- and h-files that I find strange.

2) The score of the position is a bit unstable (favours the side at the move?!). When I continue with the move in the expected line the score often changes more than expected...
So I use another program if I want the 'real' score of a certain position.

3) It can show up to 4 good moves, but it does not show moves worse than ca. 0.60 pawn compared with the best move. Sometimes I would like to determine that limit myself (or always see the 4 best moves). To get a better understanding of a position, to see if there could be another tricky move to play against a human opponent (sometimes engines proposes moves that just Looses (slowly) without making it difficult for the opponent)

But all in all a real nice program.

best, jens
JBNielsen

Post by JBNielsen »

JBNielsen wrote:
tiger wrote:This bug has already been noticed and fixed a few weeks ago. Now the app never plays the promotion.

I must say I thought it was a program only for beginners because of the name "with coach". It was only because I was looking for a program with multivariation mode; particularly with the option as showing the best moves on the board with arrows, that I found your program. Very nice with the arrows!
Also nice with the details-option so you can see the score, depth and expected line.
Analyzing games with the possibility of having lines in lines is also very nice!

1) In the opening it sometimes proposes some moves with the pawns on the a- and h-files that I find strange.

2) The score of the position is a bit unstable (favours the side at the move?!). When I continue with the move in the expected line the score often changes more than expected...

3) It can show up to 4 good moves, but it does not show moves worse than ca. 0.60 pawn compared with the best move. Sometimes I would like to determine that limit myself (or always see the 4 best moves). To get a better understanding of a position, to see if there could be another tricky move to play against a human opponent (sometimes engines proposes moves that just Looses (slowly) without making it difficult for the opponent)

best, jens
It was here I searched for a MV mode program:
http://74.220.23.57/forum/viewtopic.php ... ht=#524977

Notice this from the thread:
"Here is my original wish for multi variation mode - use of colours may improve the info:

Multi variation mode for analysis is a BIG wish for serious players!
fx with arrows on the board (rapidly changing if they overlay each other?!).
big blue arrow - the best move
0.10 - thin blue arrows
- and the traffic lights:
0.30 - green arrows
0.50 - yellow arrows
1.50 - red arrows
>1.50 - big red arrows.

Max 6 best moves should be shown.
Min 3 moves should be shown.
Don't show move 4,5,6 if a yellow or red arrow has been shown."

Now I would correct the last line to:
"Don't show move 4,5,6 if a big red arrow has been shown"
tiger

Post by tiger »

JBNielsen wrote:

best, jens

The next version is already finished, I'm just waiting for some German translations and I'm also checking very carefully against iOS 7.

About your points 1 and 2: the Chess Tiger engine inside the iOS app has been vastly improved since the last public PC versions, but in the app it is tuned to play against human players. So the behavior of the engine should not be judged by the same standard as other strong engines discussed in this forum.

About your point 3: I'm getting a lot of requests for many different options that people want me to add in the app. It's really difficult to keep in balance simplicity with all these requests. I have a very long list of things to add in the future, and what you suggest will probably be added later. It's important to understand that I am adding features from most requested to less requested, so I don't really decide what comes next.

And thank you for your kind words!

// Christophe
carldaman

Post by carldaman »

tiger wrote:

About your points 1 and 2: the Chess Tiger engine inside the iOS app has been vastly improved since the last public PC versions, but in the app it is tuned to play against human players. So the behavior of the engine should not be judged by the same standard as other strong engines discussed in this forum.

// Christophe
Hello Christophe,

Any chance you might again release Tiger for Windows/PC platforms? That would be huge news. Not everyone is interested in *just* the highest rated programs, and some of us would prefer to play and analyze with a quality engine that's tuned to play vs humans. :)

Best regards,
Carl
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

tiger wrote:
JBNielsen wrote:

best, jens

The next version is already finished, I'm just waiting for some German translations and I'm also checking very carefully against iOS 7.

About your point 3: I'm getting a lot of requests for many different options that people want me to add in the app. It's really difficult to keep in balance simplicity with all these requests. I have a very long list of things to add in the future, and what you suggest will probably be added later. It's important to understand that I am adding features from most requested to less requested, so I don't really decide what comes next.

// Christophe
Good luck with the new release Christophe........
Cheers,
Dr.D
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
tiger

Post by tiger »

carldaman wrote:
tiger wrote:

// Christophe
Hello Christophe,

Any chance you might again release Tiger for Windows/PC platforms? That would be huge news. Not everyone is interested in *just* the highest rated programs, and some of us would prefer to play and analyze with a quality engine that's tuned to play vs humans. :)

Best regards,
Carl

At this point, I don't even see how it could happen.

// Christophe
tiger

Post by tiger »

Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:
tiger wrote:
JBNielsen wrote:

best, jens

// Christophe
Good luck with the new release Christophe........
Cheers,
Dr.D

Thank you!

// Christophe