Think about building a moderation team

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Michel

Re: Think about building a moderation team

Post by Michel »

And as for the sissies that get offended by certain posts, and want to call upon the moderator everytime. They need to grow up: it's not a kindergarten. I say it's their problem and they need to grow up and stop crying. And if they can't do that then they should leave the forum and do something else of their time.
The biggest problem is not so much people posting offending things but rather people hijacking threads. One may try to ignore the OT posts but that does not seem to work in practice. The S/N ratio of such hijacked threads quickly drops down to zero.

A recent example of this was when a rather interesting thread about underpromotions in computer chess suddenly and unexplainably degenerated into a discussion about the merrits of the goto statement.

The present moderation team has been very good in dealing with this issue by splitting threads if necessary.

This being said I also don't mind if the moderators delete posts containing personal attacks. It makes the forum a more pleasant place. I don't see why personal attacks would ever be necessary to make a point.
geots

Post by geots »

lucasart wrote:How about no moderation team for a while ?

Perhaps the best moderation is no moderation.

I would be curious to see how that goes. So what? there will be some spamming and trolling, but it's already the case, and no moderation can prevent it. Sometimes moderation is even counter productive and spills oil on the fire.

For example, on OpenChess, there is no more spamming and trolling than here. Yet Jeremy Bernstein (almost) never intervenes.

Can "no moderation team" be an option in the vote ? I think this "candidate" has a serious chance at winning the election. People prefer freedom, to censorship.

PS: This is not a joke. I am serious, and would like to see "no moderation team" as a contender in the election.

I am curious what you prefer to do if a certain person comes back and blatantly calls Ed Schroder- and I quote- "a lying bastard". The moderation team before our current one saw this thread and this quote- and did NOTHING. Chose not to moderate it. With no moderation at all- who exactly is going to stop this type of attack by mentally challenged idiots? If as you say- no moderation, which = NO MODERATION. So that statement by a brainless shit cannot even be moderated. Unless you want what- maybe a little now and then- by who? Your ideas on this issue are delusional.

gts
Adam Hair

Post by Adam Hair »

I think there is some need for moderators. Someone has to deal with trouble makers, mediate disputes, perform housekeeping duties. All for the purpose of protecting the flow of information between members.

It would be good if some members who have an interest in the welfare of CCC and some time each day to devote to reviewing the posts would run for moderator. This site is the best resource for information for everyone with an interest in computer chess, and it is in every member's best interest to ensure it stays that way.
geots

Post by geots »

Adam Hair wrote:I think there is some need for moderators. Someone has to deal with trouble makers, mediate disputes, perform housekeeping duties. All for the purpose of protecting the flow of information between members.

It would be good if some members who have an interest in the welfare of CCC and some time each day to devote to reviewing the posts would run for moderator. This site is the best resource for information for everyone with an interest in computer chess, and it is in every member's best interest to ensure it stays that way.

To show how serious I am about the best interests of TalkChess, if you guys agree to stay on- or at least run again- I'm not talking about moderating threads because no one elected me to do it- I would be willing to help you 3 guys by doing any mundane, boring or time- consuming work in the background that would be of help to you. A promise from me to you.

All the best,

gts
Adam Hair

Post by Adam Hair »

geots wrote:
To show how serious I am about the best interests of TalkChess, if you guys agree to stay on- or at least run again- I'm not talking about moderating threads because no one elected me to do it- I would be willing to help you 3 guys by doing any mundane, boring or time- consuming work in the background that would be of help to you. A promise from me to you.

All the best,

gts
I am glad that you think we have done a good job as moderators, George. But I really would like to be an ordinary member once again. The volume of work is not taxing at all, but some of the decisions that have to be made are have been taxing to me.
Henk

Post by Henk »

Michel wrote:
And as for the sissies that get offended by certain posts, and want to call upon the moderator everytime. They need to grow up: it's not a kindergarten. I say it's their problem and they need to grow up and stop crying. And if they can't do that then they should leave the forum and do something else of their time.
The biggest problem is not so much people posting offending things but rather people hijacking threads. One may try to ignore the OT posts but that does not seem to work in practice. The S/N ratio of such hijacked threads quickly drops down to zero.

A recent example of this was when a rather interesting thread about underpromotions in computer chess suddenly and unexplainably degenerated into a discussion about the merrits of the goto statement.

The present moderation team has been very good in dealing with this issue by splitting threads if necessary.

This being said I also don't mind if the moderators delete posts containing personal attacks. It makes the forum a more pleasant place. I don't see why personal attacks would ever be necessary to make a point.
The biggest problem is people giving you bad advice or bad information. How often does it happen that you follow some advice, change your chess program (costing you hours or days) with the result that it performs worse than before.
JuLieN
Full name: Julien Marcel

Post by JuLieN »

Adam Hair wrote:
geots wrote:

All the best,

gts
I am glad that you think we have done a good job as moderators, George. But I really would like to be an ordinary member once again. The volume of work is not taxing at all, but some of the decisions that have to be made are have been taxing to me.
Adam is right. A mod's life turns into a real nightmare. Your friends pretend they don't know you, you check behind your back every two steps when you're outside. And it's very taxing for your nerves... I've heard that not a single biology student in Chicago passed his exam this year, and little girls started to disappear in Fuquay-Varina... :(

This being said, we really need volunteers to take the spot after us! ;)
"The only good bug is a dead bug." (Don Dailey)
[Blog: http://tinyurl.com/predateur ] [Facebook: http://tinyurl.com/fbpredateur ] [MacEngines: http://tinyurl.com/macengines ]
JuLieN

Post by JuLieN »

From left to right :
Adam: "Say, Miguel, they don't want us to quit. But we need a break! What could we do?"
Miguel: "Maybe we could clone ourselves?"
Julien: "You tried that already and it didn't work!"
[Blog: http://tinyurl.com/predateur ] [Facebook: http://tinyurl.com/fbpredateur ] [MacEngines: http://tinyurl.com/macengines ]
michiguel

Post by michiguel »

JuLieN wrote:Image
From left to right :
Adam: "Say, Miguel, they don't want us to quit. But we need a break! What could we do?"
Miguel: "Maybe we could clone ourselves?"
Julien: "You tried that already and it didn't work!"
Miguel: "How do you know?" "How do you know?" "How do you know?" "How do you know?" "How do you know?" "How do you know?" "How do you know?" "How do you know?" "How do you know?" "How do you know?" "How do you know?" "How do you know?" "How do you know?"
JuLieN

Post by JuLieN »

:lol: :lol: :lol: