cutechess-cli 0.6.0 released

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Re: cutechess-cli 0.6.0 released

Post by hgm »

ilari wrote:Cutechess-cli saves games in the PGN in the same order they were created, so if game #1 stalls or just takes a really long time, and games 2 - 10 finish in the meantime, the PGN file will still be empty because it's waiting for game #1 to finish. When game #1 finally finishes, games 1 to 10 are all written in the file at the same time.
Is that really useful? In WinBoard I just write them in the order they finish. The 'Number' PGN tag identifies the game anyway, in case people are interested.
snino64

Post by snino64 »

I realize the compiled and this is the result

qmake
make
cd projects
./cutechess-cli: error while loading shared libraries: libcutechess.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
./cutechess: error while loading shared libraries: libcutechess.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

What mistake am I making?

Thanks
Tom Likens

Post by Tom Likens »

Ilari,

So if I understand you correctly, if any of the games hang then those games will effectively block any other games from being written to the PGN file.

OK, I can test this by re-running the gauntlet and checking if less than 8 games are playing. I wonder though, do you really want this blocking behavior? Once it occurs, it seems like that is it, no more useful information. At that point, you might as well kill cutechess-cli and the gauntlet, since all you're doing is subsidizing the electric company.

Anyway, I'll re-run things and if it loses contact with the PGN file again I'll check the active number of games.

regards,
--tom
jdart

Post by jdart »

You need to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH to where these libraries are located. (Even if they are in the local directory, because in Linux or Mac OS, unlike Windows, that directory is not in the search path by default).

If built from source the libraries are in the projects/lib directory.

--Jon
snino64

Post by snino64 »

Jon, thank you very much

Now It work very well.

Thanks very much, Ilari and Arto!
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

Tom Likens wrote:I wonder though, do you really want this blocking behavior? Once it occurs, it seems like that is it, no more useful information. At that point, you might as well kill cutechess-cli and the gauntlet, since all you're doing is subsidizing the electric company.
Indeed, this is one of the reasons I did not do it in WinBoard. The only case where I would care about the order of games in the PGN is if it would swap the order of games that belong in a different round of a round-robin. Because that would make it hard to run standard cross-table tools on the PGN to extract an intermediate standing after a completed round.

I fixed this in a non-very-elegant way by having an option -syncAfterRound that prevents games of a new round to start before the previous round has committed all its games to PGN. This can cause the tourney to hang when one of the games hangs. The difference is that WinBoard is interactive, so you can interfere with the hanging game and abort it, which will cause an automatic replay, or adjudicate it. In the worst case (if WinBoard itself was hanging), you can always remove the blocking game by editing the tourney file.
phenri

Post by phenri »

Hello Ilari,

Thanks for release
Is it be possible in the future, cutechess can read a JSON arranged in this way?

Code: Select all

{
            "command": "stockfish_4_64bit_sse42.exe",
            "name": "stockfish_128MB",
            "protocol": "uci",
            "workingDirectory": "engines\\stockfish-4-win\\",
            "options": [
                {
                    "Threads": "1",
                    "Hash": "128"
                }
            ]
        }
rather than that?

{
            "command": "stockfish_4_64bit_sse42.exe",
            "name": "stockfish 128MB",
            "protocol": "uci",
            "workingDirectory": "engines\\stockfish-4-win\\",
            "options": [
                {
                    "name": "Threads",
                    "value": "1"
                },
                {
                    "name": "Hash",
                    "value": "128"
                }
            ]
        }
phenri

Post by phenri »

Hello,

What does this message?

Warning: EngineProcess: pipe reader was terminated
Macumba

Post by Macumba »

After spending some time learning how to use, finally I succeded

I don't use the json file because I never was able to put it in function.

On the other hand, I wrote a dos batch file with variables that saves me time. because I don't have to repeat a lot of configuration stuff like the json file demands. In combination with polyglotUCI and Wb2UCI avoids me to use winboard.

Thank you for this tool.

Kind regards, Arturo Ochoa.
phenri

Post by phenri »

Macumba wrote:After spending some time learning how to use, finally I succeded

I don't use the json file because I never was able to put it in function.

On the other hand, I wrote a dos batch file with variables that saves me time. because I don't have to repeat a lot of configuration stuff like the json file demands. In combination with polyglotUCI and Wb2UCI avoids me to use winboard.

Thank you for this tool.

Kind regards, Arturo Ochoa.
Hello Arturo
Can you show me your (sophisticated) batch file? Thanks