Would you donate to a new server?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

How much would you pay towards a new TC server?

Nothing
56%
$0-$5
10%
$5-$10
13%
$10-$20
21%

Total votes: 48

casaschi

Re: Would you donate to a new server?

Post by casaschi »

jdart wrote:I'd offer to put the forum software on that site but they don't give hosting customers root access so I can't install custom software.
You don't need root access or even a shell account to run a phpBB forum.
You just need php support, a mysql database and the ability to upload files.
You can check the detailed requirements here https://www.phpbb.com/ and even try installing a test forum.
reflectionofpower

Post by reflectionofpower »

The bottom line why Talkchess doesn't really care about this is because not many people donated to keep THIS site going from what I remember. So buying a new server and everything is beating your head against a wall.
rcmaddox
Full name: Robert C. Maddox

Post by rcmaddox »

Steve Schwartz is retired and chess computers and software are no longer the profit center they once were for Your Move Chess and Games.

So we're lucky to still have a forum at all.
gerold

Post by gerold »

ZirconiumX wrote:If the TalkChess server moves, *someone* will have to pay for the new server.

There are good deals for servers out there (I use 3ix, which are great for low-traffic websites.) but would anyone donate toward the yearly costs? Looking at TCEC, most likely.

How much would you donate toward the yearly costs of running a server?

Matthew:out
You may need to get ok to move from the sponsor of this site. They have it until a certain date i think. Just who owns the name (Talkchess)