Would you donate to a new server?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

How much would you pay towards a new TC server?

Nothing
56%
$0-$5
10%
$5-$10
13%
$10-$20
21%

Total votes: 48

JuLieN
Full name: Julien Marcel

Re: Would you donate to a new server?

Post by JuLieN »

Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:
JuLieN wrote:
Sean Evans wrote:
ZirconiumX wrote:If the TalkChess server moves, *someone* will have to pay for the new server.

There are good deals for servers out there (I use 3ix, which are great for low-traffic websites.) but would anyone donate toward the yearly costs? Looking at TCEC, most likely.

How much would you donate toward the yearly costs of running a server?

Matthew:out
Donation is the wrong way to go. Have a membership fee structure. The higher the fee paid the more unlocks you acquire. For example annual memberships could be as follows:

1. Guest - Reading privileges ($0.00)
2. Bronze - Guest privileges and posting privileges ($10.00)
3. Silver - Bronze privileges and something else ($20.00)
4. Gold - Silver privileges and something else ($30.00)

Definitely, not donations!

Cordially,

Sean
5. Elite - Gold privileges plus you escape moderation ($99.00)
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I'm trying to get Terry contribute. :P
"The only good bug is a dead bug." (Don Dailey)
[Blog: http://tinyurl.com/predateur ] [Facebook: http://tinyurl.com/fbpredateur ] [MacEngines: http://tinyurl.com/macengines ]
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Sean Evans wrote:Donation is the wrong way to go. Have a membership fee structure. The higher the fee paid the more unlocks you acquire. For example annual memberships could be as follows:

1. Guest - Reading privileges ($0.00)
2. Bronze - Guest privileges and posting privileges ($10.00)
3. Silver - Bronze privileges and something else ($20.00)
4. Gold - Silver privileges and something else ($30.00)

Definitely, not donations!

Cordially,

Sean
That would surely be a recipe for disaster. :wink:
Nobody should be above moderation.
gbanksnz at gmail.com
LucenaTheLucid

Post by LucenaTheLucid »

There is an obvious solution here. Everyone migrate to openchess.
gerold

Post by gerold »

LucenaTheLucid wrote:There is an obvious solution here. Everyone migrate to openchess.
Been a member there since it opened. Rybka chess, and a couple other i also go to. Openchess and Rybka chess was opened because they didn't like it here to much so they opened own forum. Not a bad idea for anyone not happy here. :D
jdart

Post by jdart »

That is a good question.

I am hosting arasanchess.org at dotster.com for about $110 a year. There is no fixed bandwidth or disk limit. I am getting several thousand hits a month and 40-50GB of download traffic. I'd offer to put the forum software on that site but they don't give hosting customers root access so I can't install custom software. On the other hand there are other providers that are even cheaper and do give you root - one I looked at is http://www.server4you.com/vserver/. The costs are really not very high. I'd certainly chip in some to keep it running.

--Jon
RJN

Post by RJN »

I tried to vote for a donation, but guess my membership here is still too green, which is a bit ironic :!:

You are not eligible to vote in this poll.
Last edited by RJN on Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Peter Skinner
Full name: Peter Skinner

Post by Peter Skinner »

I could easily host this board on my servers, and I already host several engine websites, the ACCA/CCT websites, and the Computer Chess Authors forum. As any of those people will tell you, I am about as hands off an admin as you get. I upgrade things when needed (or asked to) and the only thing I have ever charged anyone is for the yearly domain fee.

Each of my servers have 10TB of bandwidth and at least 120GB of SSD space at their disposal (two of my servers have 1TB of SSD space), so resources would likely never be an issue.

I take daily snapshots for backup purposes as well.

Peter
I was kicked out of Chapters because I moved all the Bibles to the fiction section.
ZirconiumX

Post by ZirconiumX »

Martin Thoresen wrote:
ZirconiumX wrote:If the TalkChess server moves, *someone* will have to pay for the new server.

There are good deals for servers out there (I use 3ix, which are great for low-traffic websites.) but would anyone donate toward the yearly costs? Looking at TCEC, most likely.

I am not quite sure I am following, you are suggesting TCEC should pay for this website?
No, I was just making an observation based on how many people donated during TCEC Season 1.

I think Sean's membership structure would be suicide. I know that if that were what TC charged, I wouldn't come here.

I suppose we'd also have the question of do we use ads to help raise some money?

Some believe in the almighty dollar.

I believe in the almighty printf statement.
Sean Evans

Post by Sean Evans »

ZirconiumX wrote:
Martin Thoresen wrote:

I am not quite sure I am following, you are suggesting TCEC should pay for this website?
No, I was just making an observation based on how many people donated during TCEC Season 1.

I think Sean's membership structure would be suicide. I know that if that were what TC charged, I wouldn't come here.

I suppose we'd also have the question of do we use ads to help raise some money?

No advertising or you now are being controlled by outside commercial interests. We cannot speak freely. We should be self-supporting through our own contributions.

Cordially,

Sean
geots

Post by geots »

Absolutely n_o_t_h_i_n_g!

Over and out-