Chessbase compatible engines

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

abik
Full name: Aart Bik

Chessbase compatible engines

Post by abik »

Chessbase announced UCI engine support in Chessbase for Android. Great news!

I have packaged some chess engines in 'Chessbase compatible' format so that they are directly available in that application. I will also release a new version of Chess for Android that supports this format to keep the chess ecosystem complete.

Simply download and install the Engines.apk from my Android website (no need to run the app).

For now, the package only contains BikJump versions, but any chess author that wants to be included is welcome to drop me an email with permission to include the binary in that APK.
Albert Silver

Re: Chessbase compatible engines

Post by Albert Silver »

abik wrote:Chessbase announced UCI engine support in Chessbase for Android. Great news!

I have packaged some chess engines in 'Chessbase compatible' format so that they are directly available in that application. I will also release a new version of Chess for Android that supports this format to keep the chess ecosystem complete.

Simply download and install the Engines.apk from my Android website (no need to run the app).

For now, the package only contains BikJump versions, but any chess author that wants to be included is welcome to drop me an email with permission to include the binary in that APK.
That's brilliant. If it works (I have not tested yet), I will definitely add this to my next article. Great job anyhow!

Albert
"Tactics are the bricks and sticks that make up a game, but positional play is the architectural blueprint."
Albert Silver

Post by Albert Silver »

Albert Silver wrote:
abik wrote:Chessbase announced UCI engine support in Chessbase for Android. Great news!

That's brilliant. If it works (I have not tested yet), I will definitely add this to my next article. Great job anyhow!

Albert
I tested it and it works though there are is a glitch: it only displays the first white move in the PV, and when I paste to the notation, it only shows white moves.

That said, it is listed and turns on just fine. I do have one request/suggestion: if you plan to pack them, allow users to choose which engines. BTW, if I want to uninstall, how would I go about it?

Albert
"Tactics are the bricks and sticks that make up a game, but positional play is the architectural blueprint."
abik

Post by abik »

Albert Silver wrote:I tested it and it works though there are is a glitch: it only displays the first white move in the PV, and when I paste to the notation, it only shows white moves.
That glitch has been fixed :-)

For those interested, I put some screenshots of the engine selection screen on my blog.
abik

Post by abik »

Albert Silver wrote:That said, it is listed and turns on just fine. I do have one request/suggestion: if you plan to pack them, allow users to choose which engines. BTW, if I want to uninstall, how would I go about it?
Since the package merely makes engines available, it is probably best to request this feature of [de]selecting engines in the GUI.

If you uninstall the APK (and restart chessbase), all engines disappear again.
abik

Post by abik »

Both the package as well as version 4.2 of Chess for Android are now available from Google Play.
abik

Post by abik »

I published a few more engines in the Chessbase compatible engines package for Android. With thanks to the authors for their permission.