Komodo 5.1 MP has been released

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Gusev

Re: Komodo 5.1 MP has been released

Post by Gusev »

Got it, installed it, it works. Thank you very much! :D
Don

Post by Don »

Gusev wrote:Got it, installed it, it works. Thank you very much! :D
We are getting some great feedback so far, so I think you will really enjoy this.
Capital punishment would be more effective as a preventive measure if it were administered prior to the crime.
dbxuau

Post by dbxuau »

Good release don. We all appreciate a timely release. Keep up the good work, and smash houdini.
JuLieN
Full name: Julien Marcel

Post by JuLieN »

Don wrote:
Gusev wrote:Got it, installed it, it works. Thank you very much! :D
We are getting some great feedback so far, so I think you will really enjoy this.
BTW, hope both you and Larry are well, now, Don! Thanks for delivering despite the ups and downs life brought you both in the course of this project!
"The only good bug is a dead bug." (Don Dailey)
[Blog: http://tinyurl.com/predateur ] [Facebook: http://tinyurl.com/fbpredateur ] [MacEngines: http://tinyurl.com/macengines ]
shrapnel

Post by shrapnel »

Hmm... have a look at the IPON list.... both Houdini 3 AND Stockfish 3 beating Komodo 5.1 MP :shock: , even if not by much.
Sad and a little disappointing.
Must say that I'm really impressed with the way Stockfish is becoming stronger and stronger, with each Update (barring a few hiccups ).
Some chess bloggers say that Stockfish is beating Houdini 3 convincingly and quite consistently, in their Tests ! :shock:
i7 5960X @ 4.1 Ghz, 64 GB G.Skill RipJaws RAM, Twin Asus ROG Strix OC 11 GB Geforce 2080 Tis
Don

Post by Don »

shrapnel wrote:Hmm... have a look at the IPON list.... both Houdini 3 AND Stockfish 3 beating Komodo 5.1 MP :shock: , even if not by much.
Must say that I'm really impressed with the way Stockfish is becoming stronger and stronger, with each Update (barring a few hiccups ).
Some chess bloggers say that Stockfish is beating Houdini 3 convincingly and quite consistently, in their Tests ! :shock:
I would like to read these blogs. Can you point us to some of them?
Capital punishment would be more effective as a preventive measure if it were administered prior to the crime.
Laskos
Full name: Kai Laskos

Post by Laskos »

shrapnel wrote:Hmm... have a look at the IPON list.... both Houdini 3 AND Stockfish 3 beating Komodo 5.1 MP :shock: , even if not by much.
Don't be disappointed, Komodo MP probably scales well both in time and with number of cores, it will be a tough opponent on strong machines and LTC, like the TCEC competition. We have three super-competitors in different branches of development, Houdini, Komodo, SF, and that's good.
yanquis1972

Post by yanquis1972 »

i'm running a 5+3 tournament, H3 v K5.1, silver suite, 256MB hash, tablebases, 4CPU each ponder off, hyperthreading enabled & tasks running occasionally (chrome).

after 51 games the result is:

+12 =15 -13 from komodo's perspective. suffice to say, if strength is a reason you're avoiding komodo, it's a poor one, unless you wish it to be the absolute strongest engine. i have seen several test results that show it performing = to houdini 3 head-to-head, so i am not surprised by this result. will post a final result (100 games) if i let it run that long.

EDIT: there are a 'missing' 11 games, so i'll have to check that. despite this, an excellent in the reported games.
Last edited by yanquis1972 on Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.
yanquis1972

Post by yanquis1972 »

it's a wonderful project & i fully support them, & even have the dev version page bookmarked, but i really, really wish they could do something about smoothing the evaluation.
Don

Post by Don »

yanquis1972 wrote:
it's a wonderful project & i fully support them, & even have the dev version page bookmarked, but i really, really wish they could do something about smoothing the evaluation.
I thought the dev versions were not available except to people blessed by the project as developers?

I have considered contributing something to Stockfish myself because from time to time we will see if something we are doing works in Stockfish or one of the clones. Actually Larry (who really cannot program) was still able to improve the performance by adding some simple stuff that we do.

I'm not suggesting that we do this, but if the top 5 authors swapped source code and owned someone else's code for a few weeks, I am pretty sure every program would go up at least 50 ELO. It was very easy for us to add ELO to other fine programs.