Help! They sold me Windows 8!

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

geots

Re: Help! They sold me Windows 8!

Post by geots »

hgm wrote:I bought a nice new laptop today, with a 2.4 GHz i3 (2 cores, 4 HT, 3MB L3, 4GB DRAM, 350GB HD). But unfortunately it came with Windows 8.

How can I get a decent start menu? At the moment all I can get is a totally crappy page that does not fit the display, and lists every item in the menu tree as a bulky square, without any grouping. So after installing WinBoard, for instance, I get some 19 new tiles very far out of view.

Even more important, how do I start a command-prompt window?

I already do have a Cygwin prompt, but the ftp there does not seem to work. (I already had that problem in Windows 7, but there I could use Windows own ftp from the Windows command prompt.)

Should have done like me. I had gotten used to Windows 7 finally and like it. I bought a new system straight from Dell. I told them Win7 or the deal was off. Guess what I got?

gts

PS: Computer systems are like employees and wives. Switch because of problems and you end up with another with their own set of problems and baggage.
geots

Post by geots »

If you make it clear to Dell that you take no bullshit- they will install XP on it if you will spend the money with them. Of course they won't let you know that in the beginning. But I am talking here desktop- not laptop. They start with an empty shell and build it to your specifications.

gts
Sven
Full name: Sven Schüle

Post by Sven »

hgm wrote:Even more important, how do I start a command-prompt window?
Have you tried "Windows Logo Key + R", and then enter "cmd"?

Sven
Daniel Shawul

Post by Daniel Shawul »

I got the windoze 8 couple of months ago.

Tips:
-start button -> hover on the bottom left corner and right click you will see control panel, command window (with and without admin etc). Newer versions have the start button itself or so i hear
-power off button -> hover on the bottom right corner and click settings, then power. This took me a day to figure out.
-wifi/bluetooth -> control panel->devices
-coffee -> visit starbucks

That is all you need to get going.
lucasart
Full name: lucasart

Post by lucasart »

Don wrote:
hgm wrote:I bought a nice new laptop today, with a 2.4 GHz i3 (2 cores, 4 HT, 3MB L3, 4GB DRAM, 350GB HD). But unfortunately it came with Windows 8.

How can I get a decent start menu? At the moment all I can get is a totally crappy page that does not fit the display, and lists every item in the menu tree as a bulky square, without any grouping. So after installing WinBoard, for instance, I get some 19 new tiles very far out of view.

I already do have a Cygwin prompt, but the ftp there does not seem to work. (I already had that problem in Windows 7, but there I could use Windows own ftp from the Windows command prompt.)
The secret is to format the hard drive and install linux.
Indeed. But it's still frustrating to know that you paid the Windows tax, and there's no way to buy a laptop these days without paying the Windows tax. As for getting your Windows reimbursed by the manufacturer if you don't use it, tt's theoretically possible, but practically impossible (so costly in time and legal fees, no one does it).
Theory and practice sometimes clash. And when that happens, theory loses. Every single time.
Tom Likens

Post by Tom Likens »

Don wrote:

Unfortunately, it's not as easy now. It's likely his laptop is using UEFI secure boot. He'll either need an OS with the correct database key or he'll have to disable secure booting through what used to be the BIOS, but is now UEFI (Unified Extensible Firmware Interface). You'll need to enable "Legacy Boot Mode" when booting. It's a whole big can of worms.
Don

Post by Don »

Tom Likens wrote:
Don wrote:

Unfortunately, it's not as easy now. It's likely his laptop is using UEFI secure boot. He'll either need an OS with the correct database key or he'll have to disable secure booting through what used to be the BIOS, but is now UEFI (Unified Extensible Firmware Interface). You'll need to enable "Legacy Boot Mode" when booting. It's a whole big can of worms.
Nobody is coming out and saying this, but it's really an anti-linux thing.

Microsoft just doesn't get it, people don't want all these restrictions on their hardware. They just continue to drive me farther away from them.
Capital punishment would be more effective as a preventive measure if it were administered prior to the crime.
Harald

Post by Harald »

In the ugly Windows start menu click on the small icon in the bottom right corner.
That will zoom out a little and you cann rearrange the groups by dragging them around.
You can also give them names when you right click on a group and a rename
button appears in the bottom left corner.
That is what microsoft calls a user friendly GUI and all sane people get sick from.

Harald
Peter Skinner
Full name: Peter Skinner

Post by Peter Skinner »

These are by far the easiest ways to get the old start button back:

http://www.classicshell.net/

Or

http://www.startisback.com/

I use the latter and I'm quite happy with it. Previously I used Classic Shell, but I didn't like that is had more than 4 processes. StartIsBack has zero. It is integrated right into the operating system.

Oh and with both, you access teh CMD prompt as you would under Windows 7.

Peter
I was kicked out of Chapters because I moved all the Bibles to the fiction section.
geots

Post by geots »

Peter Skinner wrote:These are by far the easiest ways to get the old start button back:

http://www.classicshell.net/

Or

http://www.startisback.com/

I use the latter and I'm quite happy with it. Previously I used Classic Shell, but I didn't like that is had more than 4 processes. StartIsBack has zero. It is integrated right into the operating system.

Oh and with both, you access teh CMD prompt as you would under Windows 7.

Peter

What do I know, but whether it is a laptop or a desktop- if it is new and you don't have the problem of a lot of stored info you have 2 logical choices: Return it, or uninstall Win8 and install Win7.

gts