Bionic Impakt - a forgotten chess engine

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Sylwy
Full name: SilvianR

Bionic Impakt - a forgotten chess engine

Post by Sylwy »

Hello in night ! :lol:

A chess program by Hans Secelle and Albrecht Heeffer.
A very strong chess player - Hans !
A Belgian philosopher with research interests in the history of algebra, computational models for scientific discovery, computer chess and shogi -Albrecht !

BIONIC IMPAKT = a lot of knowledge incorporated in the prescan routines and evaluation as well as the opening book and time controls ! Well, and a bit of..... Crafty !

A superb play ! Belive me !

A question for our mods : may I add a link to this engine for everybody here ? It's computer chess history at high level !

Have a superb night ! :lol:

SilvianR :wink:

A sexy capture for CCC members:

bob

Re: Bionic Impakt - a forgotten chess engine

Post by bob »

Sylwy wrote:Hello in night ! :lol:

A Belgian philosopher with research interests in the history of algebra, computational models for scientific discovery, computer chess and shogi -Albrecht !

BIONIC IMPAKT = a lot of knowledge incorporated in the prescan routines and evaluation as well as the opening book and time controls ! Well, and a bit of..... Crafty !

A superb play ! Belive me !

A question for our mods : may I add a link to this engine for everybody here ? It's computer chess history at high level !

Have a superb night ! :lol:

A sexy capture for CCC members:

Bionic was simply a crafty clone with almost zero changes. I think it played in the Jakarta WMCCC event and was created in about 2 weeks worth of "effort".

This has been known for YEARS...
Sylwy

Post by Sylwy »

bob wrote:
Bionic was simply a crafty clone with almost zero changes. I think it played in the Jakarta WMCCC event and was created in about 2 weeks worth of "effort".

Hello Professor !

After some researches in the computer chess literature I have found they were two BIONICs.

A.-Bionic - an original chess engine
It was a chess program written in Basic by Hans Secelle during the early 90s. Bionic participated at four Dutch Open Computer Chess Championships, 1994, 1995, 1996 and 1997, and three Aegon Tournaments, 1995, 1996 and 1997. While Bionic was a slow searcher, it was an attempt of a knowledgeable program.

B.-Bionic Impakt
Bionic's C-successor Bionic Impakt, which played the DOCCC 1998, was based on Crafty [1] with evaluation functions such as piece squares, attack heuristics, root-evaluation, as well as the opening book and time controls incorporated from Bionic [2].

http://chessprogramming.wikispaces.com/Bionic

So, the first was an original engine , the second a Crafty clone together with some elements from the first Bionic.

Unfortunately I have only the second program. :roll:

Then, both authors (Hans Secelle and Albrecht Heeffer), worked together with Mr.Tom Vijlbrief at ANT chess engine. A free one !

Regards,
fern

Post by fern »

You awaken my apetite. Clone or not, I would like to take a look at it. Where I get it?
Fern
mclane
Full name: Thorsten Czub

Post by mclane »

wasn't the original bionic written in BASIC ? oh yes. there your write it.

i think i remember this thing from aegon tournaments.
What seems like a fairy tale today may be reality tomorrow.
Here we have a fairy tale of the day after tomorrow....
Sylwy

Re: Was executed !

Post by Sylwy »

fern wrote:You awaken my apetite. Clone or not, I would like to take a look at it. Where I get it?
Fern
GENERALISSIMO !

Your order was executed !

NR: =PM=
mvk

Post by mvk »

bob wrote:

Some facts are easily checked: Neither Bionic nor Bionic Impakt (different programs: the first is a BASIC pogram, the second a Crafty derivative) are on the Jakarta player list.

Do you have a reference for the "about 2 weeks worth of effort" statement?
bob

Post by bob »

mvk wrote:
bob wrote:

Some facts are easily checked: Neither Bionic nor Bionic Impakt (different programs: the first is a BASIC pogram, the second a Crafty derivative) are on the Jakarta player list.

Do you have a reference for the "about 2 weeks worth of effort" statement?
After looking back through paper files, the program I was thinking of for Jakarta was "Gunda-1", not bionic. Gunda-1 was a very small modification of the most current Crafty of that time...