New clothes for The Baron web page !!!

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Sylwy
Full name: SilvianR

New clothes for The Baron web page !!!

Post by Sylwy »

Very nice design ! Like the superb and very original chess engines of Maestro Richard Pijl. Extremely sorry that his 3.34 version doesn't work under my old Windows XP (old like me :lol: ) OS ! That's life !

The strongest and the very original private chess engine in the world ! And a true BARON (in fact PRINCE) in the human relationship : Maestro Richard Pijl !!!

Here is the last free version- 2.23:

http://rpijl.home.xs4all.nl/html/the_baron.html

Regards,
SilvianR :wink:
geots

Re: New clothes for The Baron web page !!!

Post by geots »

Sylwy wrote:Very nice design ! Like the superb and very original chess engines of Maestro Richard Pijl. Extremely sorry that his 3.34 version doesn't work under my old Windows XP (old like me :lol: ) OS ! That's life !

The strongest and the very original private chess engine in the world ! And a true BARON (in fact PRINCE) in the human relationship : Maestro Richard Pijl !!!

Regards,

I have nothing against Richard and The Baron. In fact a very nice engine. But the strongest private engine in the world?! Sorry, not even close. Again, a very nice engine, however one which Equinox would destroy with ease- and not even break a sweat.

gts
Sylwy

Re: About Equinox (by Giancarlo Delli Colli)

Post by Sylwy »

geots wrote:
Sylwy wrote:Very nice design ! Like the superb and very original chess engines of Maestro Richard Pijl. Extremely sorry that his 3.34 version doesn't work under my old Windows XP (old like me :lol: ) OS ! That's life !

Regards,
I have nothing against Richard and The Baron. In fact a very nice engine. But the strongest private engine in the world?! Sorry, not even close. Again, a very nice engine, however one which Equinox would destroy with ease- and not even break a sweat.

gts

Hello my friend !

I know Equinox by Mr.Giancarlo Delli Colli is the strongest private chess engine ,but.......................not very original. Even the Italian Mecca in computer chess (g-sei web page http://www.g-sei.org/chess-engines/ ) cosiders Equinox in "SOFTWARE CATEGORIA FREE". That means hard external influences (Robbo & co).
The Baron 3.xx series is the strongest ORIGINAL chess engine in the world ! A stunning learning function , own bbs ,WB protocol, UCI protocol, MP, 64 bit ..........and some unique extensions . A superb engine. Belive me !
Copying ad infinitum from the same source begin to become a dull work and totally uninteresting.

Have a superb weekend !
JuLieN
Full name: Julien Marcel

Re: New clothes for The Baron web page !!!

Post by JuLieN »

[moderation]
Two posts with insults were removed. Please, calm down, people. Opinions can be expressed without having to resort to aggressiveness.
"The only good bug is a dead bug." (Don Dailey)
[Blog: http://tinyurl.com/predateur ] [Facebook: http://tinyurl.com/fbpredateur ] [MacEngines: http://tinyurl.com/macengines ]
Sylwy

Re: About Equinox (by Giancarlo Delli Colli) (II)

Post by Sylwy »

Sylwy wrote:
geots wrote:

Regards,

gts

Hello my friend !

I know Equinox by Mr.Giancarlo Delli Colli is the strongest private chess engine ,but.......................not very original. Even the Italian Mecca in computer chess (g-sei web page http://www.g-sei.org/chess-engines/ ) cosiders Equinox in "SOFTWARE CATEGORIA FREE". That means hard external influences (Robbo & co).
The Baron 3.xx series is the strongest ORIGINAL chess engine in the world ! A stunning learning function , own bbs ,WB protocol, UCI protocol, MP, 64 bit ..........and some unique extensions . A superb engine. Belive me !
Copying ad infinitum from the same source begin to become a dull work and totally uninteresting.

Have a superb weekend !
Like additional information for the distinguished Mr. Speight ( who did insult me in two successive posts - THANKS MODS):

1.-Chess Programming WIKI:

http://chessprogramming.wikispaces.com/Equinox

Textual:

"Equinox,
a strong private [1] and UCI compliant SMP chess engine by primary author Giancarlo Delli Colli and Stefano Rocchi, Roberto Cartella and Eleuterio Dato as further team members. As noted by Giancarlo Delli Colli, the progress of Equinox is the result of years of hard work by the authors - and "of course, like everybody else does", taking ideas from open source engines like Crafty, Stockfish, Ippolit, and others, from the Chess Programming Wiki and the ICGA Journal [2] ";

2.-see also the ICGA Journal;

3.- G6 is the most important Italian computer chess portal ! Let, please, the Italian programers to pronounce !

http://www.g-sei.org/chess-engines/

Have - you all - a nice weekend !

Like bonus : a historical example of a Fruit "clone" being disqualified from the WCCC 2006 (Turin) is Lion (the same author like Equinox) !

http://chessprogramming.wikispaces.com/Lion

Happy testing to you !!!! :lol:
Gerd Isenberg

Post by Gerd Isenberg »

Ruxy,

the G 6 "free engine" certificate does not necessarily imply engines are _not_ original, same for taking ideas. The "free" group includes both derivative engines and engines whose teams do not accept examinations accordant to the current regulation of the G 6 for original engines.

Further "the then original Equinox at the WCCC 2009 in Pamplona" does not imply the engine is no longer original as well.

Gerd
GDC

Post by GDC »

Hi SilvianR,

without any wish of controversy, I respect the views of all but, please, read before you say things are not accurate on Lion and Equinox.

I do not know how to do the link so I repeat what I said earlier in "Engine origin section".

Sincerely.
Giancarlo

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Mr. Alex Newman,

the program LION was not a clone of Fruit but a derivate, and this was clearly declared , said and wrote by me.

Simply the ICGA has challenged the "manner" in which it was declared. Attached to the post you will find the letter sent to ICGA. After, ICGA has changed the rule in question assuming that was not clear. For this reason I have been readmitted to WCCC in 2009 with the program Equinox!

The same TD of WCCC, H.J. van den Herik wrote in ICGA Journal in June 2006: "The LION++ 1.5 team made use of Fabien Letouzey’s program FRUIT ... The LION++ 1.5 team members are honest people, they had checked our ruling with their legal advisors.”

Having said that, I believe that in 2009 the Ippolit code is not available, is not it?

From that moment any subsequent version of Equinox has been sent to the main tester and tournament organizers without problems. The progress of Equinox are the result of four years of hard work my and Stefano Rocchi (co-author). Of course, like everyone else, we took ideas from open source engines like Crafty, Stockfish, Ippolit, and others and from WikiChess and from ICGA journal articles.

We do this only for our enjoyment, not commercial or other purposes, if you not pleasing it simply do not use it.

In the future, I ask you, to inform yourselves before you spread false information about people, because it is too easy to make this hidden behind a computer.
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

GDC wrote:Hi SilvianR,

without any wish of controversy, I respect the views of all but, please, read before you say things are not accurate on Lion and Equinox.

I do not know how to do the link so I repeat what I said earlier in "Engine origin section".

Sincerely.
Giancarlo

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Mr. Alex Newman,

the program LION was not a clone of Fruit but a derivate, and this was clearly declared , said and wrote by me.

Simply the ICGA has challenged the "manner" in which it was declared. Attached to the post you will find the letter sent to ICGA. After, ICGA has changed the rule in question assuming that was not clear. For this reason I have been readmitted to WCCC in 2009 with the program Equinox!

The same TD of WCCC, H.J. van den Herik wrote in ICGA Journal in June 2006: "The LION++ 1.5 team made use of Fabien Letouzey’s program FRUIT ... The LION++ 1.5 team members are honest people, they had checked our ruling with their legal advisors.”

Having said that, I believe that in 2009 the Ippolit code is not available, is not it?

From that moment any subsequent version of Equinox has been sent to the main tester and tournament organizers without problems. The progress of Equinox are the result of four years of hard work my and Stefano Rocchi (co-author). Of course, like everyone else, we took ideas from open source engines like Crafty, Stockfish, Ippolit, and others and from WikiChess and from ICGA journal articles.

We do this only for our enjoyment, not commercial or other purposes, if you not pleasing it simply do not use it.

In the future, I ask you, to inform yourselves before you spread false information about people, because it is too easy to make this hidden behind a computer.
Good luck with your project :D

I wish you all the best regards,
Dr.D
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
Sylwy

Re: About Equinox (III)

Post by Sylwy »

Gerd Isenberg wrote:Ruxy,

the G 6 "free engine" certificate does not necessarily imply engines are _not_ original, same for taking ideas. The "free" group includes both derivative engines and engines whose teams do not accept examinations accordant to the current regulation of the G 6 for original engines.

Further "the then original Equinox at the WCCC 2009 in Pamplona" does not imply the engine is no longer original as well.

Gerd
Hello Maestro Gerd !

I respect always your opinions in computer chess !

Well, about Equinox chess engine, I never used in my above posts the word "clone". Just "....not very original" (1) and ".......external influences"(2).

In my guide-line were some sources. Maybe G6 is not concludent. But what about CPW (Chess Programming Wiki)?

Textual from CPW:

"Equinox,
a strong private [1] and UCI compliant SMP chess engine by primary author Giancarlo Delli Colli and Stefano Rocchi, Roberto Cartella and Eleuterio Dato as further team members. As noted by Giancarlo Delli Colli, the progress of Equinox is the result of years of hard work by the authors - and "of course, like everybody else does", taking ideas from open source engines like Crafty, Stockfish, Ippolit, and others, from the Chess Programming Wiki and the ICGA Journal [2]" .

http://chessprogramming.wikispaces.com/Equinox

".....taking ideas from open source engines like Crafty, Stockfish, Ippolit, and others..." means or not external influences/not very original ?

In fact I know about Equinox and its author(s) only from these sources. Any personal idea !

An open discussion is always good. But some persons here just wait for (or create " pro deo" ) the moments to insult me ! Otherwise my first post was only about The Baron chess engine , but Mr. Speight just wait for...........

Have a nice weekend, Maestro Gerd !

Gerd Isenberg

Re: About Equinox (III)

Post by Gerd Isenberg »

Dear Silvian,
sorry for confusing your given name. I referred to your "not very original".

To take or better to abstract ideas from other programs or publications, implementing them in an own way, may still qualify a very original engine. Otherwise, almost no modern engine could be called original.

Have a nice weekend too!

Gerd