Continuation of Critter would be very appreciated

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Gusev

Re: Continuation of Critter would be very appreciated

Post by Gusev »

velmarin wrote:
Gusev wrote:
velmarin wrote:
Gusev wrote:
The situation is much worse with Ivanhoe, which seems to have been abandoned completely.
That's why I created a GitHub for those willing to contribute to its next version: https://github.com/Censor/Ivanhoe. It should be possible (a permission was given) to publish new compiles at http://ivanhoe.wikispaces.com/.
Too many fronts and none without starting.

You become owner of Ivanhoe.

With Angels77?

You do not know where it has gone, luck, Dmitri.
I feel like I played a forced move. Fire and Ivanhoe are close relatives anyhow, so these two fronts are not on the opposite ends of the globe. I felt uncertainty about the stronger Ivanhoe compiles: Are they still "open-source"? Now I see that I can make a comparable compile. Having done that, it's natural to make the code available on GitHub for those who might want to contribute to the project. GitHub is a known good platform for open-source development, so maybe something good will come out of this initiative. Nothing bad has happened so far.
You've seen the Angels insults to all who posts in Ippolit / wiki,

You are appropriated of something that not theirs, Ivanhoé Wiki already this in Ippolit Wiki,
You guys have permissions?
It seems ethically reprehensible.
I see that you and Angels77 do not like each other. Paradoxically, both you and Angels77 have been nice to me so far. :D I have a feeling that this may change. :( The Ivanhoe wiki was already there, I merely asked its owner if it would be okay to publish new compiles there. Preliminarily, there doesn't seem to be a problem. No new Ivanhoe compiles have been published by me yet. In your opinion, whose permission do I need?
velmarin

Post by velmarin »

[quote="Gusev" (a permission was given) to publish new compiles at http://ivanhoe.wikispaces.com/.

I have a feeling that this may change.

In your opinion, whose permission do I need?[/quote]

Hi Dmitri,
You wrote,
you have given permission, nothing more.
In my opinion Wiki / Ippolit is not dead, in the last two or three months have written three tarballs, the last Fifteen days ago by "IgorIppolit" co-founder and organizer of the wiki, it is true that most of the changes have gone to ComStock and to the whole "Robbobases" but ...
Ivan works very well, very well ...

How would you explain my point, there is a WIKI / Ippolit / Ivanhoe,
someone who is not a programmer decides to make a "riot",
eliminates the "Ippolit" and so out of the way to anyone who bothers him.
Legal, of course, ethical, discutable, a usurpation of the name at least.
Of course in this wiki PublicDomain program will not get any, just friends of its founder.

The second point of the relationship, no, it will change anything, I just put a review, I would like face to face, as friends.
Good luck on your projects, Dmitri, and remember to have a Spanish friend, that's not going to change.
Gusev

Post by Gusev »

velmarin wrote:[quote="Gusev" (a permission was given) to publish new compiles at http://ivanhoe.wikispaces.com/.

I have a feeling that this may change.

In your opinion, whose permission do I need?
Hi Dmitri,
You wrote,
you have given permission, nothing more.
In my opinion Wiki / Ippolit is not dead, in the last two or three months have written three tarballs, the last Fifteen days ago by "IgorIppolit" co-founder and organizer of the wiki, it is true that most of the changes have gone to ComStock and to the whole "Robbobases" but ...
Ivan works very well, very well ...

How would you explain my point, there is a WIKI / Ippolit / Ivanhoe,
someone who is not a programmer decides to make a "riot",
eliminates the "Ippolit" and so out of the way to anyone who bothers him.
Legal, of course, ethical, discutable, a usurpation of the name at least.
Of course in this wiki PublicDomain program will not get any, just friends of its founder.

The second point of the relationship, no, it will change anything, I just put a review, I would like face to face, as friends.
Good luck on your projects, Dmitri, and remember to have a Spanish friend, that's not going to change.
I checked the Ippolit Wiki and realized that I have caused a complication there, http://ippolit.wikispaces.com/share/vie ... d=62776366.
velmarin

Post by velmarin »

Gusev wrote: I checked the Ippolit Wiki and realized that I have caused a complication there, http://ippolit.wikispaces.com/share/vie ... d=62776366.
That takes days, Dmitri.
I suppose that those who are active in the wiki sections have felt in something.

I will not comment more, but how last comment let me say that this Wiki is kidnapped by a person, in my opinion.
The others seem to have infinite patience, which I have not.
Gusev

Post by Gusev »

this Wiki is kidnapped by a person
Which one? The Ippolit Wiki, the new Ivanhoe Wiki, or both of them?
velmarin

Post by velmarin »

The new wiki does not say anything, Dmitri.
It takes two days.

But either I do not understand English, or do not know,
You can browse Changes, backwards.

Let's leave Dmitri, I feel we are hijacking the thread.
Good luck to your friend.
rvida

Post by rvida »

Mike S. wrote:Is Critter discontinued?! I regularly check http://www.vlasak.biz/critter/ but for almost a year, no update. I consider this engine to be among the very top, with very good features like session file (= permanent learning), and Gaviota access. Great strong engine.
Vinvin wrote:IIRC, Richard warned last year he will work way less on Critter because his work take a lot of time.
I am still working on Critter, but I have way less free time than before. Fortunately my computers have much more time than I do and are working on Critter 24/7 (testing new patches). I just need to keep the test queue full.

I planned a new release to be ready in March, then postponed it to May, now it seems it will be delayed again. The current target is "summer 2013". I definitely want to release an update before the next nTCEC season starts.

Richard
Paloma
Full name: Herbert L

Post by Paloma »

Ok. Thanks for this Info, Richard
Mike S.

Post by Mike S. »

Thanks for the good news. :mrgreen:
Regards, Mike
gerold

Post by gerold »

Thanks for update Richard. As Critter is number 2 hoping it will be within reach of Houdini with the next release.

Best,
Gerold.