Komodo CCT release

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Sylwy
Full name: SilvianR

Re: An alternative payment method ???

Post by Sylwy »

Not PayPal, please !

THANK YOU !

SilvianR :wink:
Rebel

Re: Komodo CCT release

Post by Rebel »

Don wrote:Our own very thorough private testing indicates over 30 ELO and then another 10 ELO for the time control changes. So at least this is consistent with what we have seen and others have reported to us. For example I can tell you that the gain will not be the 48 ELO gain you suggest is possible. I think it's almost certainly within 5 ELO of what Ingo measured - but of course different tests, different time controls and different conditions add a lot of uncertainty to tests like this.
Well done Don & Larry.

+38 regards.
Peter Skinner
Full name: Peter Skinner

Re: Komodo CCT release

Post by Peter Skinner »

Purchased. Thanks Don & Larry.

Peter
Don wrote:In private correspondence a lot of people have asked me about the version of Komodo that won the CCT 15 tournament by 1.5 points and competed so well against 16 cores programs in the TCEC, many requesting an opportunity to purchase this program.

The program that competed was our latest development version of Komodo and is approximately 30 ELO stronger. Since I am discontinuing development of Komodo from this code base, we decided that it would be a shame to just orphan such a strong program, so we are offering it as a one-off purchase on the Komodo web site. There are no user discounts for existing customers or anything like that and it's not even part of our normal version scheme, thus we call it Komodo CCT.

Some of you may be wondering why you should purchase this when you have already been promised Komodo 5 MP and in fact many of you have pre-ordered it and have been waiting for some time. The answer for you is that you probably should just wait for Komodo 5.1 MP which will be free for anyone who has already pre-ordered it. We have set the release date to May 28, 2013 which is not a target but a firm date. In fact the program is ready now and working well and we will use the time to make some usability and strength enhancements but we are maintaining a release-ready version at all times so the date will not slip. In the future we plan to do all releases that way with firm dates and we will ship the best of whatever we have on the release date.

As you may have heard, the new MP version is a rewrite, basically a port of Komodo to C++11 and a major code cleanup and it is still a work in progress. As such it is still in a bit more primitive state than Komodo CCT. There is some minor missing knowledge and a lot of cruft stripped out of it. But there is also some things done much better, so we expect this to be a better base to proceed from.

Unfortunately, the Komodo 5.1 MP release is currently about 30 ELO weaker than the new Komodo CCT version when running on 1 core, but of course on 2 cores or more it will play much stronger. It will also be at least as strong as Komodo 5. Even though the strength matches Komodo 5 it is not the same program and internally is closer to Komodo CCT. If you want the strongest possible Komodo running on multi-core machines then Komodo 5.1 MP is what you want. If you are fan of single processor programs then Komodo CCT will be stronger.

After we release Komodo 5.1 MP we will be working to bring it up to, and beyond, the strength level of Komodo CCT. So in November we plan to release the upgrade to Komodo 5.1 MP which will be our strongest program yet running on 1 core or many cores.

If you find any of that confusing, here is a table to help make it clearer:

Code: Select all

Code Base     Language  Program(s)
------------  --------  ---------------------
Doch          C         Komodo 3, 4, 5,  CCT
Beekay        C++11     Komodo 5.1 MP

I was kicked out of Chapters because I moved all the Bibles to the fiction section.
Don

Post by Don »

Sylwy wrote:Not PayPal, please !

THANK YOU !

We have had a few people send us a check. And you can use a credit card but I think it goes through Pay Pal.

Or, you can come to Virginia and buy us a beer!

Don
Capital punishment would be more effective as a preventive measure if it were administered prior to the crime.
Aser Huerga

Post by Aser Huerga »

Don wrote:

THANK YOU !

We have had a few people send us a check. And you can use a credit card but I think it goes through Pay Pal.

Or, you can come to Virginia and buy us a beer!

Don
I have purchased it through PayPal.
Sylwy

Post by Sylwy »

Don wrote:

THANK YOU !

We have had a few people send us a check. 1.-And you can use a credit card but I think it goes through Pay Pal.

Or, 2.-you can come to Virginia and buy us a beer!

Don
Hello Don !

1. Finally I'll use PayPal but I need to confirm my new credit card. I don't like this procedure. ShareIt (Hiarcs, Shredder), Digital River (Naum) are a lot of more friendly !

2.OK, thank you ! That's not impossible. In summer I'll be in Toronto/Canada . Not so far !

A lot of possibilities in the 3-rd millenium ! :lol:

Best to you and Komodo !

Sylwy

Re: Solved & arrived !

Post by Sylwy »

Hello Don !

Solved the problem (beer :lol: ID: 900) !

I have a nice "study-object" for some weeks !

Best to you !

Sylwy

Re: A question to Maestro Don & Maestro Larry

Post by Sylwy »

Hello !

In Komodo CCT configuration window (under Arena 3.0) they are three features unexplained in the README file:

1.-Special Node Level (default = false);
2.-cppn (default = 11);
3.-fut (default = 7).

Please, let us know what means these features. I want to experiment a bit (in fact much more :lol: ) !

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE !

Don

Post by Don »

Sylwy wrote:Hello !

In Komodo CCT configuration window (under Arena 3.0) they are three features unexplained in the README file:

2.-cppn (default = 11);
3.-fut (default = 7).

Please, let us know what means these features. I want to experiment a bit (in fact much more :lol: ) !

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE !

These were left in by accident. special node level is for fixed node testing but instead of stopping exactly at N nodes the program will be more intelligent about when to stop while averaging the setting. It works with the fixed nodes setting.

cppn controls how komodo evaluates candidate passed pawns, higher values will make it value them more.

fut is the number of full depth plies of futility pruning. A value of zero turns it off completely.

Don
Capital punishment would be more effective as a preventive measure if it were administered prior to the crime.
Sylwy

Post by Sylwy »

Don wrote:
Sylwy wrote:Hello !

2.-cppn (default = 11);
3.-fut (default = 7).

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE !

These were left in by accident. special node level is for fixed node testing but instead of stopping exactly at N nodes the program will be more intelligent about when to stop while averaging the setting. It works with the fixed nodes setting.

cppn controls how komodo evaluates candidate passed pawns, higher values will make it value them more.

fut is the number of full depth plies of futility pruning. A value of zero turns it off completely.

Don

Thank you, Maestro Don !

Edified ! :lol:

Already under heavy tests. I'll test everything ! A very interesting engine this Komodo !

THANK YOU again for this masterpiece !