7 piece tablebases

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

rabbits

7 piece tablebases

Post by rabbits »

I want to download the 7 piece Tablebases but am confused. I have the Houdini 3 Fritz chess programme installed on my computer but gather this is not the Houdini 3 Aquarium. Does this mean that I will have to buy a chess programme with an Aquarium interface to download the Tablebases?
Allan
carldaman

Re: 7 piece tablebases

Post by carldaman »

rabbits wrote:I want to download the 7 piece Tablebases but am confused. I have the Houdini 3 Fritz chess programme installed on my computer but gather this is not the Houdini 3 Aquarium. Does this mean that I will have to buy a chess programme with an Aquarium interface to download the Tablebases?
Allan
You will not be able to download the 7-men Lomonosov TBs, as they take up a huge amount of disk space. The latest Aquarium GUI is able to access them online, however.
The Fritz interface does not have access to them at the moment.

Regards,
CL
syzygy

Post by syzygy »

carldaman wrote:You will not be able to download the 7-men Lomonosov TBs, as they take up a huge amount of disk space.
Even more importantly, they are not available for download. So buying a 140 TB disk is of no help ;)
vb4

Post by vb4 »

Are the stat files (dtm) atleast available and if so where?

Thx,

Les
rabbits

Post by rabbits »

Thanks Allan
rabbits

Post by rabbits »

Carl On its Web page Chess OK states:
"Until December 31, 2013, the tablebases will be available online and for free to all owners of ChessOK Aquarium 2012, Houdini 3 Aquarium, Houdini 3 PRO Aquarium and Chess Assistant 13, Professional Package.
To access the tablebases, follow the instructions."
" How to use Lomonosov Tablebases in Aquarium 2012 "

"First of all, if you haven’t done it yet, download and install Aquarium 2012 Update 2 on your Aquarium interface to get access to the 7-piece endings.

Lomonosov Tablebases are available via your Aquarium 2012 interface, which also serves as the base of the Houdini 3 Aquarium and Houdini 3 Pro Aquarium products. Owners of Chess Assistant 13, Professional Package also receive Aquarium 2012 as a part of the package bonus. "
So if I do all that I should have access to the tablebases shouldn't I?
Still I am a bit wary after what you and Ronald de Man have said.
Allan
Eelco de Groot
Full name:   

Post by Eelco de Groot »

The cheapest option is probably to purchase ChessOK Aquarium 2012. You already have Houdini so I think the ChessBase version of Houdini can even be installed in Aquarium. If that's important I would ask on the Aquarium forum (part of Rybkaforum.net) to make sure. After the end of the year you may have to pay or upgrade Aquarium to still have access to the Lomonosov tablebases. If it is not clear what to do, Albert Silver works for Chessbase and also knows the people who have developed this so maybe he knows more.

Regards, Eelco
Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first
place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you
are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it.
-- Brian W. Kernighan
rabbits

Post by rabbits »

Thanks Eelco. I'll give this some thought.
Allan