Nebula 2.0 released

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Dragan

Nebula 2.0 released

Post by Dragan »

More info on:
https://sites.google.com/site/nebulachess/

I spent the last 6 months working full time on Nebula. Culmination of all that hard work is this version. It has almost everything I planned to implement when I started a year ago (first 6 months were on and off).
There is still a lot that can be added. Especially in the pruning area, but I want to take a little break - meaning working 4 hours a day instead of 8 :)
Hope you enjoy testing this version.

Cheers, Dragan
Tom Likens

Re: Nebula 2.0 released

Post by Tom Likens »

Dragan wrote:More info on:

I spent the last 6 months working full time on Nebula. Culmination of all that hard work is this version. It has almost everything I planned to implement when I started a year ago (first 6 months were on and off).
There is still a lot that can be added. Especially in the pruning area, but I want to take a little break - meaning working 4 hours a day instead of 8 :)

Cheers, Dragan
Dragan,

Congratulations on getting Nebula out. I see from your webpage that you added SE to it.
How much of a strength increase did that give you? It's on my TODO list.

regards,
--tom
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Tom Likens wrote:

Cheers, Dragan
Dragan,

Congratulations on getting Nebula out. I see from your webpage that you added SE to it.

regards,
--tom
From some testing results I've seen, looks like a decent improvement in strength, but that is obviously a combination of all the things that Dragan has implemented.
gbanksnz at gmail.com
Tom Likens

Post by Tom Likens »

Graham Banks wrote:
Tom Likens wrote:

Cheers, Dragan
Dragan,

regards,
--tom
From some testing results I've seen, looks like a decent improvement in strength, but that is obviously a combination of all the things that Dragan has implemented.
Probably true, but usually we try to be somewhat scientific in these things, i.e.
  • 1. add one change,
    2. test
    3. verify
    4. record the results
    5. rinse and repeat
My guess is Dragan likely has the elo increase for each change (or a good estimate).

regards,
--tom
Dragan

Post by Dragan »

Yes I do :)

Version before the SE scored 721 wins and 1130 losses in 2500 total games against 10 different opponents.
SE version got 821 wins and 1013 losses.

So the improvement was +30 ELO

The thing I like the most about the SE is that improves engine's tactical abilities.
You should definitely have it as a high priority improvement.
Tom Likens

Post by Tom Likens »

Dragan wrote:Yes I do :)

Version before the SE scored 721 wins and 1130 losses in 2500 total games against 10 different opponents.
SE version got 821 wins and 1013 losses.

So the improvement was +30 ELO

The thing I like the most about the SE is that improves engine's tactical abilities.
You should definitely have it as a high priority improvement.
Thanks Dragan,

I figured you had the numbers. BTW, I downloaded Nebula 2.0 and it's beating the latest version of Djinn by about +40 elo after 1000 3sec.+1sec games, which is a very nice improvement by Nebula since my latest version of Djinn is much stronger than 0.979.

Well done :wink:
Tom Likens

Post by Tom Likens »

SzG wrote:
Tom Likens wrote:my latest version of Djinn is much stronger than 0.979.
Aiming the stratosphere, Tom? 0.979 was already about 60 Elo better than 0.969. Please slow down, I cannot keep pace.
Hey Gabor,

That's one of the advantages of having a weak engine, there's basically only one direction to go! No worries though, Dragan has now set the bar much higher so I think you and the other testers are safe for a while! :)

BTW, I still need to release version 1.0 (it's only been about 12 years since I started working on Djinn, so it may be time)!

best,
--tom
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

Tom Likens wrote:
SzG wrote:
Tom Likens wrote:my latest version of Djinn is much stronger than 0.979.
Aiming the stratosphere, Tom? 0.979 was already about 60 Elo better than 0.969. Please slow down, I cannot keep pace.
Hey Gabor,

That's one of the advantages of having a weak engine, there's basically only one direction to go! No worries though, Dragan has now set the bar much higher so I think you and the other testers are safe for a while! :)

BTW, I still need to release version 1.0 (it's only been about 12 years since I started working on Djinn, so it may be time)!

best,
--tom
Good luck Tom :D

Djinn is one of the mile stones in computer chess history......
Dr.D
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
reflectionofpower

Post by reflectionofpower »

Thanks for the effort!
Dragan

Post by Dragan »

Thanks Tom :wink:

I tried using Djinn as a test opponent but the current public version doesn't do very well in bullet (40/5" or 40/10")
This is not very surprising considering the fact xboard doesn't send time in milliseconds. Arasan fares even worse so I wasn't able to use it either.
Dirty is the only xboard engine handling bullet well.

I hope you make a great improvement but not too great :wink: