Rodent turns 1.0 !

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

tmokonen
Full name: Tony Mokonen

Re: Rodent turns 1.0 !

Post by tmokonen »

geots wrote:
tmokonen wrote:Thank you Jim, this compile works for me.

That one would work for me also, except I need the one that actually is popcnt. And I can't download a damn thing that will even let me extract. Every time I see this git-hub crap- it's nothing but a mess. I want to download an engine version- not solve damn brain teasers.

Sorry Tony, my frustration is certainly not meant toward you.

A shot of rum, 3 cigarettes and 6 more xanax-

gts
Hi George, this is the link for the 32 bit and popcnt versions. It should work OK for you... I think!

http://www.pkoziol.cal24.pl/rodent/rodent_1.0.zip
geots

Post by geots »

tmokonen wrote:
geots wrote:

That one would work for me also, except I need the one that actually is popcnt. And I can't download a damn thing that will even let me extract. Every time I see this git-hub crap- it's nothing but a mess. I want to download an engine version- not solve damn brain teasers.

gts
Hi George, this is the link for the 32 bit and popcnt versions. It should work OK for you... I think!

Tony, thanks- and I appreciate you stopping to help me. I will certainly check it out. But I just don't understand why it has to be so complicated. I saw the 1.0 download (probably not this one), but when I extracted it had nothing but 1 64-bit executable, and the problem is it was the exact one he had told you to use that was not popcount. So it's all way over my poor head. Will let you know what this download does for me.

Best,

gts
geots

Post by geots »

tmokonen wrote:
geots wrote:

gts

Tony, the only thing I can figure is that I screwed up myself. I had earlier noticed your question to Jim, and I also downloaded that no-popcnt 64 exe, because I do have a 64bit quad that doesn't use popcnt and sse- tho I don't use it much since I have these 2 intel i5s. But you never know- so it is good to have it. I moved the zip to my folder I keep with engines to load, and then when I downloaded from your link and saw that compressed it was 6.7 MB- I realized what I must have done. I had downloaded it once also- but when I went to extract- they were side by side, and I must have extracted by mistake the same one again that Jim sent you because of his mistake. If you follow what I mean. Usually I turn out to be my own worst enemy.

Since I keep all the zips, I will switch out the no-popcnt for the one Jim sent you and re-compress. Again, thank you for the link. If not for that- I may not have noticed my mistake. Let me know any way I can help you any time.

Best,

george
ThomasJMiller

Post by ThomasJMiller »

Nice game, congrats for your milestone.

Who is the engine to beat for version 2.0 ? :D
lucasart
Full name: lucasart

Post by lucasart »

PK wrote:I decided that Rodent will reach this milestone when it manages to beat Fruit 2.1 in a head to head match of 100 games. There were two more restrictions: that I will use a 32-bit compile and that time control will be short (1 minute + 1 second increment). I know this is not particularly great achievement by today's standards, but still there's a sense of fullfillment in it.
Yes, Fruit 2.1 is *the* milestone in computer chess history. It's far from the top now, but writing an engine from scratch and improving it until it beats Fruit 2.1 is no trivial task. I remember the time and effort it took me to finally make DiscoCheck stronger than Fruit 2.1.

By the way, DiscoCheck has just passed another milestone: Fruit 05/11/03, the last beta by Fabien Letouzey
https://github.com/lucasart/chess/commi ... a0c4097b27

Texel 1.01 is the next target ;-)
Theory and practice sometimes clash. And when that happens, theory loses. Every single time.
geots

Post by geots »

lucasart wrote:
PK wrote:I decided that Rodent will reach this milestone when it manages to beat Fruit 2.1 in a head to head match of 100 games. There were two more restrictions: that I will use a 32-bit compile and that time control will be short (1 minute + 1 second increment). I know this is not particularly great achievement by today's standards, but still there's a sense of fullfillment in it.
Yes, Fruit 2.1 is *the* milestone in computer chess history. It's far from the top now, but writing an engine from scratch and improving it until it beats Fruit 2.1 is no trivial task. I remember the time and effort it took me to finally make DiscoCheck stronger than Fruit 2.1.

By the way, DiscoCheck has just passed another milestone: Fruit 05/11/03, the last beta by Fabien Letouzey
https://github.com/lucasart/chess/commi ... a0c4097b27

Texel 1.01 is the next target ;-)

I am assuming those are honest typos. I know you meant "DoubleCheck!" :roll:

Best,

george