SmallChess

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

kinderchocolate
Full name: Ted Wong

Re: SmallChess

Post by kinderchocolate »

Ralph Stoesser wrote:I like the game comments. Very nicely done and entertaining contents. While replaying a game from database I would like to be able to see what's the next move from the game without executing the move. It's much more convenient this way in case I want to compare the best move from current engine analysis with the next move from the game. A green arrow would be nice (might change it's color to blue if best move from engine search = next move from game). The only chess app I know of which get this right is Chess by Christophe Theron.
I hear you. It'll be implemented for sure. The coming updates will feature even more coaching styles for your entertainment. You might want to take a look

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... sp=sharing

After a few updates, the app will turn into a universal app with iPad support. The future updates will include Play Like Judith Polgar and new puzzles.
bretti

Post by bretti »

Your App is really great!
Many thanks for the Promotion Code. I just updated to iOS 6 and wonder about all your improvements, particularly:
- Multi-PV (just 2 but this is enough) >> Settings, Coaching, Style, Multi
- Gaviota-TB >> Settings, Coaching, Style, TB
- Multi Core switch >> Settings, Engine, Use Multi Core

The Denim-Board is also nice!
mar
Full name: Martin Sedlak

Post by mar »

Just a question: Tim Chan now Ted Wong?? What next? Tom Lee perhaps? :roll:
kinderchocolate

mar wrote:Just a question: Tim Chan now Ted Wong?? What next? Tom Lee perhaps? :roll:
Lol, Tim Chan was a fake name. Members in this forum was confused when they emailed "Tim Chan" and suddenly someone called "Ted Wong" replied them. They thought their emails were stolen and hacked!
kinderchocolate

bretti wrote:Your App is really great!
Many thanks for the Promotion Code. I just updated to iOS 6 and wonder about all your improvements, particularly:
- Multi-PV (just 2 but this is enough) >> Settings, Coaching, Style, Multi
- Gaviota-TB >> Settings, Coaching, Style, TB
- Multi Core switch >> Settings, Engine, Use Multi Core

The Denim-Board is also nice!
Brett, more is coming. In the next version of SmallFish, it will be a total new interface and should lure the Stockfish fans out to the new app. There will be some new features copied from SmallChess. Stay tuned. It will be still free and open source.

SmallChess will expand to 3 or 4 PVs for iPad and iPhone 5. You only see two because there is no space to fit one more. In the coming updates, SmallChess will direct users to the Gaviota website where you can download tablebase. I will also offer Online Store where you can download opening books and tablebases. You will have two ways to expand your database.

The idea of full-screen coaching come from you. You had asked the possibility of full-screen playing, and I thought it was good so I implemented it.

Apart from the Denim Board, I have paid a graphic designer from the SmallChess sales for new chess boards and pieces. The new graphics will be used in the free SmallFish app and also SmallChess itself. I have gained nothing financially from this project.
mar
Full name: Martin Sedlak

Post by mar »

kinderchocolate wrote:Lol, Tim Chan was a fake name. Members in this forum was confused when they emailed "Tim Chan" and suddenly someone called "Ted Wong" replied them. They thought their emails were stolen and hacked!
How do we know Ted Wong is real? Sounds as fake as Tim Chan to me.
Why did you use a fake name in the first place?
Cubeman

Post by Cubeman »

kinderchocolate wrote:Lucas, a version for Windows Phone 8 and Android are coming. Other than Blackberry, I won't miss any mobile phone market.
Can't wait for the WP8 version, I just ditched my iPhone 4s and now got Nokia Lumia 920 but miss the chess related stuff on the WP app store. No big name chess engines yet, and the online apps that connect to FICS are poorly designed. Your SmallChess app will be a welcome addition. Do you have a time frame for estimated release.
kinderchocolate

Alex, I have an early working prototype for both WP8 and Android platform. But I've been overwhelmed with iPad requests: iPad and iPhone 5 must be delivered before anything else. WP8 will definitely come before Android. Android is the most popular platform, but it is also the most difficult platform to program and test. WP8 should come in the second half of the year. Android should be ready by the end of the year.
kinderchocolate

mar wrote:
kinderchocolate wrote:Lol, Tim Chan was a fake name. Members in this forum was confused when they emailed "Tim Chan" and suddenly someone called "Ted Wong" replied them. They thought their emails were stolen and hacked!
How do we know Ted Wong is real? Sounds as fake as Tim Chan to me.
Why did you use a fake name in the first place?
Martin, all registered paid app developers must use real name. I can't fool Apple.
Cubeman

Post by Cubeman »

kinderchocolate wrote:Alex, I have an early working prototype for both WP8 and Android platform. But I've been overwhelmed with iPad requests: iPad and iPhone 5 must be delivered before anything else. WP8 will definitely come before Android. Android is the most popular platform, but it is also the most difficult platform to program and test. WP8 should come in the second half of the year. Android should be ready by the end of the year.
Thanks, glad WP8 is in the pipeline. I imagine being a big fish in a small pond will work out better than being a small fish in a big pond.