Robodini

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Don

Robodini

Post by Don »

There appears to be a new program out called called Robodini. There is a 32 bit and 64 bit version and it does not support threads. There is a claim that it's much stronger than Houdini 3. I don't buy it.

Does anyone know anything about it?

The funny thing about it is that the author is called, "Telescope Guy" and on the site Richard Vida is congratulated for a nice job on it. But somehow I don't believe Richard Vida was involved.
Capital punishment would be more effective as a preventive measure if it were administered prior to the crime.
Laskos
Full name: Kai Laskos

Re: Robodini

Post by Laskos »

Don wrote:There appears to be a new program out called called Robodini. There is a 32 bit and 64 bit version and it does not support threads. There is a claim that it's much stronger than Houdini 3. I don't buy it.

Does anyone know anything about it?

The funny thing about it is that the author is called, "Telescope Guy" and on the site Richard Vida is congratulated for a nice job on it. But somehow I don't believe Richard Vida was involved.
Seems just a bit (say 15 points) weaker than Houdini 3, probably a RE of Houdini 3, with somewhat lower nps and a bit higher depth. The time management is a bit different too.
lucasart
Full name: lucasart

Post by lucasart »

Is it another hex edited "master piece" ?

PS: I like the name Robodini though :lol:
Last edited by lucasart on Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Theory and practice sometimes clash. And when that happens, theory loses. Every single time.
Laskos
Full name: Kai Laskos

Post by Laskos »

lucasart wrote:another hex edited "master piece" ?
Possible, although some modifications seem not to be trivial.
Don

Post by Don »

The executable size is very tiny compared to Houdini. So this is a truly original program. It's not hex edited. There is no MP.
Capital punishment would be more effective as a preventive measure if it were administered prior to the crime.
lucasart
Full name: lucasart

Post by lucasart »

Don wrote:
The executable size is very tiny compared to Houdini. So this is a truly original program. It's not hex edited. There is no MP.
Good point. Then maybe it's the new version of Strlka by Osipov ?
Theory and practice sometimes clash. And when that happens, theory loses. Every single time.
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Don wrote:
Another Strelka perhaps?
Oh - Lucas beat me to it. :P
gbanksnz at gmail.com
Don

Post by Don »

lucasart wrote:
Don wrote:
It seems that some people have nothing to do.

I did a 10 ply search from the opening position and compared it to Houdini 3 and it played the same move, same score, same exact node count! I am in awe that someone would spend so much time doing something like this for virtually no reason and not even willing to take credit for it.
Don

Post by Don »

Graham Banks wrote:
Don wrote:
Another Strelka perhaps?
Oh - Lucas beat me to it. :P
Basically along the same lines as Strelka.
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Don wrote:
lucasart wrote:
Don wrote:
It seems that some people have nothing to do.

I did a 10 ply search from the opening position and compared it to Houdini 3 and it played the same move, same score, same exact node count! I am in awe that someone would spend so much time doing something like this for virtually no reason and not even willing to take credit for it.
Pretty poor, that. :roll:

[MODERATION]
We will lock this thread to make sure there is only one thread about this topic. I am editing the post, rather than replying not to bump a thread what was already in the second page.

Miguel
gbanksnz at gmail.com