Cheating suspicion at the Zadar Open in Croatia

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

noctiferus

Re: Cheating suspicion at the Zadar Open in Croatia.

Post by noctiferus »

Actually, his previous tournament (Dec 2012) was not so exciting.

http://ratings.fide.com/individual_calc ... 2013-01-01

ciao e.

Ps I've run a quick blunder analysis (17 plys) with Critter 14a. Impressive: on my test over 6 or 7 games, he only missed 3 or 4 Critter moves out of the range +- .1 centipawns (in 2 of them, his move was among the Critter best up to depth 14-15).
Adam Hair

Post by Adam Hair »

Ajedrecista wrote:Hello:
Adam Hair wrote:There was a complaint made in the past that a female opponent's top was too revealing. An au naturel mixed tournament would have made that fellow a drooling patzer :lol:
I read a curious thing in that article (bold added):
An excerpt from Melbourne's Herald Sun of 1 April states: Robert Crowley (sic) claims [...]
Are we sure that it is true?

------------

Coming back to the case of Croatia: I look the probabilities I have posted and I am convinced that there were not fair play. There are interesting links at the end of the ChessBase article that Sean posted. I remember that I read the case of the German man that cheated in 1999... let us wait and see how Ivanov performs in future events!

Regards from Spain.

Ajedrecista.
You may be right to question this, Jesus. I have seen multiple references to this on the Internet, but it may have been an April Fools joke by the Melbourne Herald.
michiguel

Post by michiguel »

Adam Hair wrote:There was a complaint made in the past that a female opponent's top was too revealing. An au naturel mixed tournament would have made that fellow a drooling patzer :lol:
An excerpt from Melbourne's Herald Sun of 1 April states: Robert Crowley (sic) claims [...]

------------

Coming back to the case of Croatia: I look the probabilities I have posted and I am convinced that there were not fair play. There are interesting links at the end of the ChessBase article that Sean posted. I remember that I read the case of the German man that cheated in 1999... let us wait and see how Ivanov performs in future events!

Regards from Spain.

Ajedrecista.
I am not 100% sure that this was a cheating case. I have seen cases of people who improved in their 20's, when they start to take chess seriously. I find the article of Chessbase, throwing mud to a guy with no evidence whatsoever, very yellowish and irresponsible. What if he is innocent?

Miguel
Terry McCracken

Post by Terry McCracken »

michiguel wrote:

------------

Regards from Spain.

Ajedrecista.
I am not 100% sure that this was a cheating case. I have seen cases of people who improved in their 20's, when they start to take chess seriously. I find the article of Chessbase, throwing mud to a guy with no evidence whatsoever, very yellowish and irresponsible. What if he is innocent?

Miguel
They will redeem the poor fellow but this does in fact look like clear case of cheating. I see it all the time on the net.

He's an expert/master not a super grandmaster and showed little improvement but here he does what appears to be impossible and look at just one game, looks mighty damning doesn't it?

I'd like to believe he's innocent but it's highly likely he had help.
Terry McCracken
Sean Evans

Post by Sean Evans »

Do we feel the same checks as those at an airport before boarding a plane would curtail cheating? It would not be possible at small tourneys, but larger better funded tourneys should able to do it. Eventually, a chess player with the stature of Lance Armstrong will get caught cheating and new rules will have to be applied.

Anyway, food for thought :idea:
michiguel

Post by michiguel »

Terry McCracken wrote:
michiguel wrote:

------------

Regards from Spain.

Ajedrecista.

Miguel
They will redeem the poor fellow but this does in fact look like clear case of cheating. I see it all the time on the net.

He's an expert/master not a super grandmaster and showed little improvement but here he does what appears to be impossible and look at just one game, looks mighty damning doesn't it?

We don't know it. He was searched, he had nothing. If proper stats are run, w/o falling into this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prosecutor%27s_fallacy
I think we may find that it is quite likely he is innocent.

I would prefer to skewer a guy once he is caught.

Miguel
simon

Re: Cheating suspicion at the Zadar Open in Croatia

Post by simon »

Adam Hair wrote:
Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:
Adam Hair wrote:
bob wrote:It is just a matter of time before this becomes undetectable... guys don't have to leave the table to go to the restroom and such. Look up "Keith Taft". He built a computer (when smartphones and such were not even a dream) that he hid on his person, had hidden data input with switches inside his shoes, and had various ways of seeing the output (led's in his glasses, etc.). Humans are quite bright. Even creating a Faraday Cage around the playing hall wouldn't work because the computer he built had everything self-contained and didn't need to communicate with outside sources. I'd be completely surprised if someone hasn't tried this with chess by now.
I suppose cavity searches and making all competitors play au naturel would not be enough to prevent someone from finding a way to cheat.
Playing au naturel would be nice especialy in mixed tournaments :wink:
There was a complaint made in the past that a female opponent's top was too revealing. An au naturel mixed tournament would have made that fellow a drooling patzer :lol:
Research has already suggested that men play irrationally against women ;)

Male chess players show elevated aggressiveness against women
Terry McCracken

Post by Terry McCracken »

michiguel wrote:
Terry McCracken wrote:
michiguel wrote:

------------

Regards from Spain.

Ajedrecista.

Miguel

We don't know it. He was searched, he had nothing. If proper stats are run, w/o falling into this:

Miguel
The fallacy doesn't apply. The odds say something entirely different. Of course I'd like to catch him red-handed and likely they will catch him and others outright but it's not so easy these days. We don't live in a perfect world of perfect information. I'm sure they missed many possibilities when they searched him. Why does it have to be on him or in his clothing?

Would you not keep an eye on this guy in the future or would you say everything appears in order?

This isn't the first time drawing suspicion is it?
Terry McCracken
geots

Re: Cheating suspicion at the Zadar Open in Croatia

Post by geots »

bob wrote:It is just a matter of time before this becomes undetectable... guys don't have to leave the table to go to the restroom and such. Look up "Keith Taft". He built a computer (when smartphones and such were not even a dream) that he hid on his person, had hidden data input with switches inside his shoes, and had various ways of seeing the output (led's in his glasses, etc.). Humans are quite bright. Even creating a Faraday Cage around the playing hall wouldn't work because the computer he built had everything self-contained and didn't need to communicate with outside sources. I'd be completely surprised if someone hasn't tried this with chess by now.

Sounds a lot like a blackjack ploy instead of chess........................ :roll:

george
michiguel

Post by michiguel »

Terry McCracken wrote:
michiguel wrote:
Terry McCracken wrote:
michiguel wrote:

------------

Regards from Spain.

Ajedrecista.

Miguel

Miguel
The fallacy doesn't apply.
It is about the probability that someone, somewhere in the planet, shows that jump in performance. Because, once that happens, press will jump on the guy. I do not think this is so unlikely and it is a perfect case of prosecutors fallacy. A different story is if there was a previous evidence before the statistics are calculated. Still, we have to also assumed that the guy did not take chess seriously since the jump in performance. Do we know that?

The odds say something entirely different. Of course I'd like to catch him red-handed and likely they will catch him and others outright but it's not so easy these days. We don't live in a perfect world of perfect information. I'm sure they missed many possibilities when they searched him. Why does it have to be on him or in his clothing?

Would you not keep an eye on this guy in the future or would you say everything appears in order?
keeping on eye on him? yes. Embarrassing him internationally without any evidence whatsoever? no.

Miguel

This isn't the first time drawing suspicion is it?