ChessBase 12

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

keres

ChessBase 12

Post by keres »

On my Chessbase 12, when i click "Maintenance" and then "sort database" for mega database 2013, the program shows this error message < Runtime error in 21931 > and the operation is stopped; if i try to cancel the game n.21931 the problem is not solved; what can i do to sort the database? Thanks for your reply. Fabio
Kyodai

Re: ChessBase 12

Post by Kyodai »

keres wrote:On my Chessbase 12, when i click "Maintenance" and then "sort database" for mega database 2013, the program shows this error message < Runtime error in 21931 > and the operation is stopped; if i try to cancel the game n.21931 the problem is not solved; what can i do to sort the database? Thanks for your reply. Fabio
If the error message points out game 21931 - have you tried to 1) mark this game with delete 2) remove the game physically?
Lavir

Post by Lavir »

That's one of the problems of having CB (or any other private format) database.

When there's a problem with even a single game and the program gets stopped for it you are in deep trouble because the only way to open that database to remove the offending(s) parameters is through that program (that however blocks and doesn't let it do that properly).

It's a sort of never ending loop cycle.

With PGNs databases also if you have some corrupted games you can simply open the file with Notepad and delete it fully without problems. It is for this that the first thing I do with every proprietary database is to convert them to PGN immediately for the future.

Alas in this case if CB doesn't let you remove the game and then pack the database you are out of luck. I know anything that could resolve the problem of the OP, apart maybe trying with Fritz 13 and see what it happens there (hoping for the best).

Also this is a bad point on CB. You expect a database program to DON'T quit if there's a problem with one or more games but simply continue ignoring the error to then hopefully being able to recover it.
keres

Post by keres »

Deep Fritz 13 has not the function <maintenance - sort database>. I cancelled that game again and this is possible with my CB12, but the error message is not solved! There's not solution! But thanks the same
Kyodai

Post by Kyodai »

keres wrote:Deep Fritz 13 has not the function <maintenance - sort database>. I cancelled that game again and this is possible with my CB12, but the error message is not solved! There's not solution! But thanks the same
Hmm - and by "cancelling" the game you mean not just "delete" (greyed out) the game - but also step 2 = "physically removed" the game. If so then there are strange problems. I have Megabase at home so I will have a look at this game no 21931.
keres

Post by keres »

Kyodai wrote:
keres wrote:Deep Fritz 13 has not the function <maintenance - sort database>. I cancelled that game again and this is possible with my CB12, but the error message is not solved! There's not solution! But thanks the same
Hmm - and by "cancelling" the game you mean not just "delete" (greyed out) the game - but also step 2 = "physically removed" the game. If so then there are strange problems. I have Megabase at home so I will have a look at this game no 21931.
Yes, i deleted two games n.21931 (step 1 and 2) but the error message is there always!
Lavir

Post by Lavir »

There is the function to pack the database in Fritz 13, it is just a little hidden. It is under the quick action bar. Just click on "customize" and then you will find "Remove deleted games" that will pack the database.

Anyway If the error continues to appear after you physically delete the game then or: 1) the game is not really deleted (it's easy to check, just find that game, recording for reference the game data - as players etc. -., then physically delete it, close and open the database again and check the game anew; if the same game it's still there then it obviously got not deleted really), 2) it's not a problem of that game in the specific but of something else concerning the database (this you can easily see if in step 1 above the game is different but the error is still present; this obviously mean that the error has nothing to do with a game in particular).

I suggest you to try to open the database with Fritz (or CB again), follow the instructions on those in point 1 and delete the game, packing the database. If the game is still there after this then the problem is that probably both CB and Fritz cannot remove physically that game for whatever motive. If that's the case report here and maybe we can find a solution someway. If instead the game got deleted but the error persist (as in point 2 above) then the problem is either worse, but at last in this way we can understand if it is just a problem of the game or something is wrong in the database after a certain point.

When we will know what's the real problem we can hopefully find better a solution.

P.S: Before deleting physically the game ensure that the database is not read-only, elsewhere naturally the game will never be deleted and it will be as if you did anything at all.
Kyodai

Post by Kyodai »

keres wrote:On my Chessbase 12, when i click "Maintenance" and then "sort database" for mega database 2013, the program shows this error message < Runtime error in 21931 > and the operation is stopped; if i try to cancel the game n.21931 the problem is not solved; what can i do to sort the database? Thanks for your reply. Fabio
After you click "sort database" - skip the integrity check (which means you jump the first step in the process)...
Jim Logan

Post by Jim Logan »

I have possibly a simpler idea. As Mega 2013 is new, why not delete your version on the hard drive and reinstall it? Maybe something went wrong with the original installation.
keres

Post by keres »

Lavir wrote:
There is the function to pack the database in Fritz 13, it is just a little hidden. It is under the quick action bar. Just click on "customize" and then you will find "Remove deleted games" that will pack the database.

Anyway If the error continues to appear after you physically delete the game then or: 1) the game is not really deleted (it's easy to check, just find that game, recording for reference the game data - as players etc. -., then physically delete it, close and open the database again and check the game anew; if the same game it's still there then it obviously got not deleted really), 2) it's not a problem of that game in the specific but of something else concerning the database (this you can easily see if in step 1 above the game is different but the error is still present; this obviously mean that the error has nothing to do with a game in particular).

I suggest you to try to open the database with Fritz (or CB again), follow the instructions on those in point 1 and delete the game, packing the database. If the game is still there after this then the problem is that probably both CB and Fritz cannot remove physically that game for whatever motive. If that's the case report here and maybe we can find a solution someway. If instead the game got deleted but the error persist (as in point 2 above) then the problem is either worse, but at last in this way we can understand if it is just a problem of the game or something is wrong in the database after a certain point.

When we will know what's the real problem we can hopefully find better a solution.

P.S: Before deleting physically the game ensure that the database is not read-only, elsewhere naturally the game will never be deleted and it will be as if you did anything at all.
All two times i deleted the game this operation was good, i think something is wrong in megadatabase 2013; to morrow i can to try to reinstall this database. Thanks for your help!