Merry Christmas from the Moderators!

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

jshriver

Re: Merry Christmas from the Moderators!

Post by jshriver »

Christopher Conkie wrote: Well as we all know Santa is in the Bible and plays chess.
I keep Christmas neutral :) While I am a Christian, I have a lot of non-Christian friends, in fact most are.

Still think this is a good time during the winter months, to get close to those we love and appreciate our lives and enjoy being with those we are with.

Granted this is probably a northern-christian centric view. But how I feel. I have no problems wishing seasons greetings to my Jewish or Muslim friends. It's all about respect and knowing in the end we all want to be happy.

This is just a specially joyful time for some people. So why burn that down? All months should be this joyous.

Just my $0.02.
-Josh
Christopher Conkie

Post by Christopher Conkie »

jshriver wrote:
Christopher Conkie wrote: Well as we all know Santa is in the Bible and plays chess.
I keep Christmas neutral :) While I am a Christian, I have a lot of non-Christian friends, in fact most are.

Still think this is a good time during the winter months, to get close to those we love and appreciate our lives and enjoy being with those we are with.

Granted this is probably a northern-christian centric view. But how I feel. I have no problems wishing seasons greetings to my Jewish or Muslim friends. It's all about respect and knowing in the end we all want to be happy.

This is just a specially joyful time for some people. So why burn that down? All months should be this joyous.

Just my $0.02.
-Josh
OK Joshua, merry pagan Jól to you too.....but just remember that you must go to church or you are a hypocrite. Please don't mention Santa there either.....

:)

Chris
jshriver

Post by jshriver »

Christopher Conkie wrote:
OK Joshua, merry pagan Jól to you too.....but just remember that you must go to church or you are a hypocrite. Please don't mention Santa there either.....

Chris
Thanks :) Actually I'm looking forward to midnight mass this year. Will be my second year doing it. I grew up in a non-religious family (Christian leanings but never went to Church). It was a personal decision in my 30's to convert to the Catholic faith. However as a "non-born" and as an American, I do keep some heart-felt ideals above those of my religion. That being respect for all faiths and all people and all culture.

Know this "ideal" doesn't come around due to our government, but how "I" feel I think and hope, really is how most American's feel.
gerold

Post by gerold »

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all.

Best,
Gerold.

P.S. I wish all Holidays were on Sunday so they didn't use up my work days. :-)
Christopher Conkie

jshriver wrote:

Chris
Thanks :) Actually I'm looking forward to midnight mass this year. Will be my second year doing it. I grew up in a non-religious family (Christian leanings but never went to Church). It was a personal decision in my 30's to convert to the Catholic faith. However as a "non-born" and as an American, I do keep some heart-felt ideals above those of my religion. That being respect for all faiths and all people and all culture.

Know this "ideal" doesn't come around due to our government, but how "I" feel I think and hope, really is how most American's feel.
You sound like a principled guy so good for you. I would contest the idea that most Americans are although. You see they claim to be God fearing also but run around with guns. Damn those 10 commandments.... Why would you want a gun except to kill something or someone? :-)

OK so it could be a seasonal thing but my sources inform me its 24/7/365.

Chris
jshriver

Post by jshriver »

Christopher Conkie wrote:= I would contest the idea that most Americans are although. You see they claim to be God fearing also but run around with guns. Damn those 10 commandments.... Why would you want a gun except to kill something or someone? :-)

Chris
We're a vast culture. Won't disagree with what you say. In the south that is VERY true, sadly. To the north we tend to be more neutral.

America is complicated... I think at heart we are a good people. But there is definitely some ill feelings that permeate within some subcultures.

I say this as someone who has lived as far as Ohio (bordering Canada almost) heck I live 1 hour from Canada... and living as south as Houstin, TX almost to MX.

It's truly hard to put a finger on what is "American" I guess what it's like saying "what is European". Granted each state isn't so diverse as each country in the EU, however each state is truly a "entity" within it's own.

So culturally from abroad, you can almost look at the US as a "United Countries" each state has it's own culture, history, and ideal... many common, but definitely unique.

Only the constitution unites us all... and even then, we tend to respect and understand it differently..
jshriver

Post by jshriver »

Christopher Conkie wrote:You see they claim to be God fearing also but run around with guns. Damn those 10 commandments.... Why would you want a gun except to kill something or someone? :-)
Ironic you said this, here is a FB post I made tonight prior to your post. Happily it's been "liked" but both my democrat and republican friends.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Odd note coming from me perhaps... being the "hated Liberal Democrat" despite my various friends... but this is one thing I agree with you all... We do NOT need more gun control, we need "people control".

My heart is out with those who lost family. But honest... crazy will always be out there. If sh*t truly does turn... do you want the laws to only limit the civilians?..

People don't kill people, CRAZY people kill people... CIVIL people keep things safe. I try to read both sides of the line, and honestly yeah, I can't imagine some dude deer hunting with an AK... however....in the end. This is perhaps one line that will always fill my heart in this terms "If you outlaw X, only outlaws will have X" This applies not only to guns but ANYTHING.

Yeah I dont understand or want the average Joe Deer hunter with an AK47, but making it illegal wont change crap. Because if someon is TRULY out to f*$K things up they don't care about laws and will find the guns.

So for those of us, who get our license, respect out laws, for fun/sport/ or just desire to harvest meat to feed our familes. Stay the F*(K away from our 2nd amendment.

I know i'll take shit from both sides of the spectrum, but I am not a party guy. I an American. I don't see party lines. Both are f'd up in their own regards....

I just vote American.

-Josh
Christopher Conkie

jshriver wrote:
Christopher Conkie wrote:= I would contest the idea that most Americans are although. You see they claim to be God fearing also but run around with guns. Damn those 10 commandments.... Why would you want a gun except to kill something or someone? :-)

Chris
It's truly hard to put a finger on what is "American" I guess what it's like saying "what is European". Granted each state isn't so diverse as each country in the EU, however each state is truly a "entity" within it's own.
The trigger?

Chris

(PS I did read it all but that paragraph did make me smile.....)
IGarcia

Post by IGarcia »

jshriver wrote:
Christopher Conkie wrote:Christmas is cancelled. It is cheaper that way. Let us know when something worthwhile comes along and stop trying to be popular.

It is a chess forum not a bloody "love in".
Bah Humbug!
Well as we all know Santa is in the Bible and plays chess.
It is time to wake up. Wake up!
I used to think its time to wake up, and religion is a disease (big one) keeping people in a big confusion and speaking to imaginary things... Till I found the FSM. He appeared to me while I was eating some spaghetti. But now I'm moving into the real-real one: I found "BBS"

Moderators have stated this chess forum its religion free or neutral, but we can give all salute we like and spread all love. So hope you find The Bunny it will make you happy and fill your heart in this special time.

Best wishes.

PS: A carrot a day keep the devil away!
jshriver

Post by jshriver »

IGarcia wrote:. So hope you find The Bunny !
I love the Bunny *chuckles* as well as the great spaghetti meatball in the skiy lol