Shall we update Talkchess' software?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Shall we update Talkchess' software?

Poll ended at Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:36 pm

Yes
83%
No
17%

Total votes: 139

Hood

Re: Shall we update Talkchess' software?

Post by Hood »

What will be minuses?
Rgds Hood
Polish National tragedy in Smoleńsk. President and all delegation murdered or killed.
Cui bono ?

There are not bugs free programs.
There are programs with undiscovered bugs.

Ashes to ashes dust to dust. Alleluia.
Hood

Post by Hood »

Have all voted?
Polish National tragedy in Smoleńsk. President and all delegation murdered or killed.
Cui bono ?

There are not bugs free programs.
There are programs with undiscovered bugs.

Ashes to ashes dust to dust. Alleluia.
Christopher Conkie

Post by Christopher Conkie »

Hood wrote:Have all voted?
We should update it. We should provide a small (inconspicuous shall we say) symbol of a gun next to the Post button. Upon pressing the gun button, I think that a list of the banal programmers that we hate should appear allowing us to excommunicate them from real life.

I have no idea if the "gun" idea is a goer......but one thing I can say is this.......that when they all come back from shooting practise that threaded view will be here whilst I am here.

Let's celebrate......the bullet. It is an "education".

:-)

Chris
Terry McCracken

Post by Terry McCracken »

Christopher Conkie wrote:
We should update it. We should provide a small (inconspicuous shall we say) symbol of a gun next to the Post button. Upon pressing the gun button, I think that a list of the banal programmers that we hate should appear allowing us to excommunicate them from real life.

I have no idea if the "gun" idea is a goer......but one thing I can say is this.......that when they all come back from shooting practise that threaded view will be here whilst I am here.

Chris
Which banal programmers? The're so many. Be a massacre.
Something to celebrate? Who would be educated? Parabellum in the Cerebellum is a dubious education.
Terry McCracken
Sam Hull
Full name: Sam Hull

Post by Sam Hull »

Don wrote: Same with aliases, I prefer people use their real name but I would never lose any sleep over this one. In OpenChess alias are allowed. No big deal. Different things have different importance to different people.
No big deal if elected moderators aren't important to you either.

-Sam-
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Sam Hull wrote:
Don wrote: Same with aliases, I prefer people use their real name but I would never lose any sleep over this one. In OpenChess alias are allowed. No big deal. Different things have different importance to different people.
No big deal if elected moderators aren't important to you either.

-Sam-
Don't forget that OpenChess was originally set up to try and lure members away from here, by disaffected moderators here at the time. That was made patently clear.
http://www.talkchess.com/forum/viewtopi ... 40&start=0

Despite their forum rules being pretty much a copy of the Talkchess charter, members there were allowed to get away with rampant personal attacks and abuse directed at me, without moderation interfering.
So I made what proved to be some errors of judgement at the time that that happened (for which I apologised), but hopefully that's all water under the bridge by now.
I think I'd prefer to be part of a forum where the elected moderators do their best to be impartial and disallow open and targeted abuse against somebody.

Anyway, just thought I'd make some aware of the history behind all this.
gbanksnz at gmail.com
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

The whole clone drama (and especially the Rybka case) took us all by surprise Graham. No wonder we sometimes make not so good judgements. New complex situations with no jurisprudence more or less is an invitation and guarantee for trouble until everything has been said. Fortunately the latter seems to be the case and things have relaxed. In the meantime everyone interested has learned something which is good.
geots

Post by geots »

Flat view is great if you have maybe a dozen total members like, say, CCRL or something. Here I would hate it. I cannot see in these days and times where anything is possible that thread view could not be kept. The only thing we really need most of all is the "Ignore" feature. I can think of a person whose posts and replies to mine I could set to never see. It would be like the.........(I can't call him the name he deserves) did not even exist in this world.

gts
Christopher Conkie

Post by Christopher Conkie »

Terry McCracken wrote:
Christopher Conkie wrote:

Chris
Which banal programmers? The're so many. Be a massacre.
Something to celebrate? Who would be educated? Parabellum in the Cerebellum is a dubious education.
What we really need is a poll about why it is someone can program a chess engine yet not be able to use Google to find alternative phorum software that encompasses all who want to look.

http://www.phorum.org/demo/read.php?2,7,9#msg-9

Perhaps they are all fud's.......?

http://fudforum.org/forum/index.php?t=threadt&frm_id=14&

:)

Chris

(And no Terry, I'm not going to explain the word "fud" to them from my perspective)
K I Hyams

Post by K I Hyams »

JuLieN wrote:The only draw back, for a few users, is that the thread view would be unavailable.
17% in this poll and a larger percentage in the last one.
JuLieN wrote: But this could be brought back in the future
How about diverting some of your enthusiam to the task of bringing it back at the same time as the update is made?
JuLieN wrote: and it's a minor draw-back considering all the improvements.
Well, those who do not use thread view, probably would see it as a minor drawback. However those who do use it might take a different view. Have you asked a representative sample of thread view users why they use it and whether they agree with your statement that it is only a minor inconvenience to lose it?
JuLieN wrote: Also, no users would be annoyed by long threads, like they are with thread view.
If you are suggesting that the cure for users being annoyed by long threads is to remove the option to see them in thread view, then I would suggest that there is another, more obvious, way and that way is already at the disposal of the thread view user.