30 years losing to computer chess

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

fern

30 years losing to computer chess

Post by fern »

First I lost some -just some - game to chess challenger 7 in 1979 and 1980

Then I lost somewhat more games to Chess Champion Challenger in 1981, 82 and 83. Maybe 50/50, was the score

Then I lost a good chunk of game to Novag constellation 3,6 in 1984, 85, etc.

Of course I lost many games to software as Cplossus IV running in an Atari
After that, in the 90's, I lost many games to software as Fritz 2, 3 etc, Junior, Tiger, etc. but here and there i won or draw a game or two

Now in the XXI century I just know one kind of result: defeat. I am defeated by advanced dedicated units, commercial software, free software, etc.

I am now 63 and programs are better and better.

Guess my history is not that singular as I could think....
MM

Re: 30 years losing to computer chess

Post by MM »

fern wrote:First I lost some -just some - game to chess challenger 7 in 1979 and 1980

Then I lost somewhat more games to Chess Champion Challenger in 1981, 82 and 83. Maybe 50/50, was the score

After that, in the 90's, I lost many games to software as Fritz 2, 3 etc, Junior, Tiger, etc. but here and there i won or draw a game or two

Now in the XXI century I just know one kind of result: defeat. I am defeated by advanced dedicated units, commercial software, free software, etc.

63...I thought you were at least 10 less.
MM
fern

Post by fern »

Maybe the photo is 10 years old...hahahah
No, it is recent. I looks better in photos than in real life....
MM

Post by MM »

fern wrote:Maybe the photo is 10 years old...hahahah
Lol for a moment i thought the same thing...

i started losing to mephisto Berlin(?) or Milano (?) around 1991...

Best Regards
MM
fern

Post by fern »

I have not those machines, but I know they aRE Powerful. No shame to lose to them. I have some powerful machine i do not dare to play. Normally I play mediocre things like Alexandra, old Chess Champion, even sometimes Morphy Encore. Anything beyond 1900 Elo is a pain in the ass instead of fun and joy.

fern
S.Taylor

Post by S.Taylor »

fern wrote:First I lost some -just some - game to chess challenger 7 in 1979 and 1980

I saw psion by Richard Lang by a few friends. It was very strong, compared to programs which were real toys.
I was very impressed by it.
But i got my first stuff, Turbo King 11, which was even stronger than Psion, and a year later, i got Scorpio/Diablo by Novag/Kittinger.

These programs were super strong for me, but i sometimes managed to beat them, especially if i exchanged alot and managed to finish it off in the endgame.
I even had my successes with Genius 2, and even Hiarcs 7. (But Genius 3 seemed alot stronger to me, than Genius 2).

After then, i got a few programs CM, Fritz etc. But i didn't bother trying to beat them, asw Hiarcs 6 and 7 were the most comfortable ones to use and sit down with. I havn't had the same ease of use in recent times, with Hiarcs 14 or other things i tried to and am trying to download and set up.

Hiarcs 14 still seems to stop when the clock times out, then i don't know how to continue the game.

No game ever gets finished that way.

Then I can't have another game until i agree that the result was 1-0 (depending on who ran out of time).
S.Taylor

Post by S.Taylor »

MM wrote:
fern wrote:Maybe the photo is 10 years old...hahahah
Lol for a moment i thought the same thing...

i started losing to mephisto Berlin(?) or Milano (?) around 1991...

Best Regards
My turbo King beat a 1991 Mephisto, in the one game i conducted between them (when i was in a Mephisto warehouse).
Kyodai

Post by Kyodai »

:) Yes, you have to have some fun with these programs... I remember the old days when it was possible to beat mephisto roma on a big wooden board...

Nowadays tricks are needed not to be crushed.. I'm in the process of transforming GM Chessmaster personalities to Fritz (uci) via wb2uci.

The engine will of course be the latest King and the chosen GM:s in total
right now 35 - preferably the old ones. 13 of them will play with an old book (games from 1873-1910) - and ranges from Anderssen to Zukertort - the three
great "P:s" included i.e Paulsen - Philidor - Pillsbury. The settings
mostly from Chessmaster - but also some usermade found on CM:s forum.

The rest of the GM:s range from Alekhine to Vidmar and play with a slightly
more modern book (games from 1873-1950). The "newest" players are like Reshevsky and Najdorf.

I make these uci engines in Fritz just for fun with the intention of some serious battles in the future. Not exactly Houdini 3 - but I'll be happy for each point here..
Just longer time settings - maybe even 40 moves in 2 hours like we played way back. We'll see.. 8-)
Last edited by Kyodai on Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MM

Post by MM »

I think Chess Genius changed the history. Especially 2 and 3. I had a 486 25 mhz, it was pretty cool.
MM
fern

Post by fern »

I see everybody has his tricks to enjoy and that's great.
Right now I am playing Alexandra at 40 moves in 90 minutes and it is not easy to beat. I got an advantage of 3,1 pawns but after carefree play it got down to 1,2 advantage. No matter. Now the thrill is how to recover my first advantage. One way or another, there is fun.
Isn't that what we try to get ?

fern