Which engine has been the most exciting in the last 5 years?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Poll ended at Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:54 pm

Houdini 3
19%
Houdini 2
No votes
Houdini 1.5
4%
Rybka 4
2%
Rybka 3
34%
Robbolito
6%
Igorrit
2%
IvanHoe
2%
Fire (Firebird)
8%
Ippolit
4%
Others
17%
None
4%

Total votes: 53

MM

Post by MM »

Hi, i mean the engine that created the strongest emotions, for the strenght or for the innovation or for style or for whatever reason you think.

Please vote.

Thank you
MM
MM

Re: Which engine has been the most exciting in the last 5 ye

Post by MM »

I haven't voted yet, but i personally remember the release of Robbolito, what a fantastic engine. At that time Rybka 3 seemed to be untouchable and Robbolito was able to beat it even 1 core against 4 core, it was fantastic and exciting for me.

No interest of politics about cloning or not cloning, Robbo was a beast.

Best Regards
MM
Albert Silver

Post by Albert Silver »

MM wrote:Hi, i mean the engine that created the strongest emotions, for the strenght or for the innovation or for style or for whatever reason you think.

Please vote.

Thank you
Rybka 3, Stockfish 1.6a, Critter 0.9, Komodo 4, Houdini 1.5a
"Tactics are the bricks and sticks that make up a game, but positional play is the architectural blueprint."
MM

Post by MM »

Albert Silver wrote:
MM wrote:Hi, i mean the engine that created the strongest emotions, for the strenght or for the innovation or for style or for whatever reason you think.

Please vote.

Thank you
I am sorry i've been limited in the options so i had to make choises, not all engines could be included.

I agree on Critter 0.90

Best Regards
MM
Albert Silver

Post by Albert Silver »

MM wrote:
Albert Silver wrote:

Please vote.

Thank you
I am sorry i've been limited in the options so i had to make choises, not all engines could be included.

I agree on Critter 0.90

Best Regards
True, but you managed to put three versions of Houdini, two of Rybka, and five of Ippolit. Strange IMHO.
"Tactics are the bricks and sticks that make up a game, but positional play is the architectural blueprint."
MM

Post by MM »

Albert Silver wrote:
MM wrote:
Albert Silver wrote:

Please vote.

Thank you

I agree on Critter 0.90

Best Regards
True, but you managed to put three versions of Houdini, two of Rybka, and five of Ippolit. Strange IMHO.
I understand, i put 5 ippo because i think they change history and some of them excited me so much, i thought to avoid some of them but i thought also that perhaps many would have voted for them.

I am curious to see how many votes will Igorrit have, because it was the 1st MP of ippo series and i was incredibly excited for it. In fact it was terribly strong but now that i think i don't remember if arrived 1st Igorrit or IvanHoe as MP..?

I apologize for missing.

Best Regards
MM
yanquis1972

Post by yanquis1972 »

houdini 3??? amazing engine, best around & probably will be for some time, but i'm surprised at the results. does anyone else remember their first few experiences using rybka 3?? astonishment & joy, for me, at least. i think an engine that can deliver that's a once every five years kinda deal in computer chess.

ippo was exciting, but for different reasons. it opened the floodgates...very interesting period. using it wasn't terribly fun...a polished rybka 3.

i think every individuals criteria will be too variable to glean much from this poll....
MM

Post by MM »

Finally i voted Igorrit, i remember that on several games against Rybka3 on my pc it was undefeated...
MM
gerold

Post by gerold »

Fruit 2.1 of course. Next Rybka beta, Next Houdini.

Best,
Gerold.
tomgdrums

Post by tomgdrums »

yanquis1972 wrote:
i think every individuals criteria will be too variable to glean much from this poll....
oddly enough my vote would be Hiarcs 12 because it was when I realized how much fun it could be analyzing with two or more engines and playing against different engines. (my first engine was Shredder 11, my second was Hiarcs 12)