My W8 Experience

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

fern

My W8 Experience

Post by fern »

I have been for months trying W8 CR or preview, whatever the name. Just in a desktop. I have no use for mobile devices as much I scarcely abandon my home and I work here.
The best part of W8 is how fast loads -less than half a minute-, the many safety devices and better security all in all.
I like also the add services, free to date, like a ebook reader, etc-
My main desktop use w7 -this pc where i write - but I believe i will go for w8 due to these advantages.
There is also the advantage of being fully in the cloud.
Arena works fine, every CB program, etc, even do so my old Word processor, "Atlantis", to which I am loyal since ever and with which I have written more than 14 books to date.
So, no way to stumble with this..

fern
Modern Times

Re: My W8 Experience

Post by Modern Times »

This video about W8 is great
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... i8NpwiEuzc

He goes too fast, but other than that it is a great introduction to W8.
krusher

Post by krusher »

Nice review. I will probably get Windows 8 on a new laptop-tablet hybrid. Most of these guys who complain about windows are hypocrites.

I always find it funny that Mac users use Parallels to run windows after talking highly of Apple. :D
Modern Times

Post by Modern Times »

Yes, when I saw that video, I immediately thought how cool Windows 8 is !
I may upgrade one of my Vista machines.
krusher

Post by krusher »

Talking a crash course on Windows 8 lol
syzygy

Post by syzygy »

krusher wrote:Nice review. I will probably get Windows 8 on a new laptop-tablet hybrid. Most of these guys who complain about windows are hypocrites.
I haven't tried Windows 8 at all and I am not planning to either, but... you did not hear me when I tried out Gnome 3 on Linux.

As far as I know, Windows 8 is at least better than Gnome 3, because you can still switch to the old desktop instead of being forced to use the PC as a smartphone.

I'm curious though how the tiles interface will be received. Personally I can hardly stand watching the video fullscreen. I don't have a 27" monitor only to have my PC continuously swap in swap out the whole screen when I want to open an application. It might be nice for controlling your TV, but not (for me) for getting work done on a computer.
Modern Times

Post by Modern Times »

There is also the start8 product for $4.99 from Stardock
http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/

For those who prefer to make W8 look more like Windows 7

Useful for people who buy a new machine with W8 pre-installed and who can't get used to it.
Evert

Post by Evert »

krusher wrote:Nice review. I will probably get Windows 8 on a new laptop-tablet hybrid. Most of these guys who complain about windows are hypocrites.

I always find it funny that Mac users use Parallels to run windows after talking highly of Apple. :D
It is odd when people say things like "the nice thing about a Mac is that I can run Windows on it." To be fair though, it /is/ nice (as a general point of principle) to be able to run programs intended for another OS under the OS you're using (whether it's through Parallels on a Mac or Wine under Linux).

As for Windows 8 - the default colourscheme they use in the screenshots I've seen would be enough to turn me off from giving it a shot if I would consider doing so in the first place. Which I don't.
GenoM

Post by GenoM »

Atlantis is good but try Q10.

Regards,
Geno
take it easy :)
WuShock

Post by WuShock »

Does anybody know where the uci engine folder for CB programs is located in W8 ? So that I can delete engines........

In W7 is was under something like app data roaming , then CB , then uci engines.........

Anybody having exceptions with H3 in CB programs + W8 ??

Thanks ,

Tom