Windows 8 Released Today

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

JuLieN
Full name: Julien Marcel

Re: Windows 8 Released Today

Post by JuLieN »

kgburcham wrote:I preordered a copy of Windows 8.
I received this copy today, got it loaded, loaded my chess programs.
Everything seems to be ok.
I am slow moving around, I keep forgetting how to shut it off.
I think trim is enabled by default in Windows 8.
I did the normal disabledeletenotify=0.
Anyway it is challenging at first.
I don't expect any speed change using chess programs.
I will stay up on what the other geeks are saying for optimize, disable, etc.
kgburcham

Interesting, thanks! :) Keep us posted on your progress and user experience with this new OS!
"The only good bug is a dead bug." (Don Dailey)
[Blog: http://tinyurl.com/predateur ] [Facebook: http://tinyurl.com/fbpredateur ] [MacEngines: http://tinyurl.com/macengines ]
fern

Post by fern »

Maybe that is true for a computer geek, but not for normal guys like me which have no time, no interest and no desire to play with a OS to get something done. Linux is a pin in the ass, lot of commands to learn and use, etc....
Windows is all at hand and thousands of programs.
To blame windows and say that it is crap it is more part of a fashion than reality I think.
Fern
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

fern wrote:Maybe that is true for a computer geek, but not for normal guys like me which have no time, no interest and no desire to play with a OS to get something done. Linux is a pin in the ass, lot of commands to learn and use, etc....
Windows is all at hand and thousands of programs.
To blame windows and say that it is crap it is more part of a fashion than reality I think.
Fern
I totally agree....

Same goes for ChessBase....No one can come even close regarding the overall quality....
Dr.D
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
M ANSARI

Post by M ANSARI »

geots wrote:
michiguel wrote:
lucasart wrote:
mclane wrote:why?
why indeed pay for that crap...?
especially when linux is free and far superior.
One member bought a new OS and apparently is willing to test it with the engines. That is actually a good service for the community because he may or may not experience problems that many will like to know (Even if we do not use W8, engines are developed for several flavors of OS). I am quite surprise of so many negative answers. At least, let's keep this CC related.

Miguel

Obviously diff. people have diff. experiences. At first I hated Vista, but then for my purposes it ended up being better than XP- but none since. Win7 was the worst- because you have too many folder issues and have to fight thru too much admintr. rights battles. But I am comfortable enough with it to have gone ahead a few weeks ago and purchased another Intel i5 4 core almost identical to the one I bought the first of the year. They actually told me if I waited a few days they could install Windows 8 in it. I told them not if they wanted to sell it to me.

gts
With Win 7 you can remove all the the administrative halts that some consider annoying. Just move the slider in the Action Center to not bother you anymore.
mclane
Full name: Thorsten Czub

Post by mclane »

rlsuth wrote:
mclane wrote:why?

If he has the money, he should spend it! It keeps the economy ticking over. :)

never change a running system.
What seems like a fairy tale today may be reality tomorrow.
Here we have a fairy tale of the day after tomorrow....
mclane
Full name: Thorsten Czub

Post by mclane »

krusher wrote:This thread is going of-topic with people's irrelevant political rants that belong in CTF. Windows 8 is here whether you like it or not, and whether you have a need for it or not.

Businesses do not run on Slackware/Gentoo Linux because it is "free". I'm yet to see anybody standing outside offering state of the art Android smartphones for "free", yet not everybody knows what Android consists of a kernel based on the Linux kernel.

Personally I'm happy on Win7 as that is what I use at home/work, in a year or two years time who knows? I haven't loaded the pre-release consumer version but I might do so sometime in the future.

How do your chess programs behave on Windows 8?
windows 8 is the helpless effort of bill gates to get market areas back from the tablet market and also give the PC/notebook area new innovation because it was decreasing like hell.
many people have come to the opinion that tablets and mobiles are enough to do whatever they want/need.

microsoft was uncapable to present anything senseful (hardware/software) on the tablet/mobile market.

i doubt microsoft will come back.

android and ios advantage/progress is too big.
What seems like a fairy tale today may be reality tomorrow.
Here we have a fairy tale of the day after tomorrow....
krusher

Post by krusher »

mclane wrote: windows 8 is the helpless effort of bill gates to get market areas back from the tablet market and also give the PC/notebook area new innovation because it was decreasing like hell.
many people have come to the opinion that tablets and mobiles are enough to do whatever they want/need.

microsoft was uncapable to present anything senseful (hardware/software) on the tablet/mobile market.

It is too early in the day to be drunk my friend. That is all.
stevenaaus

Post by stevenaaus »

mclane wrote:windows 8 is the helpless effort of bill gates to get market areas back from the tablet market and also give the PC/notebook area new innovation because it was decreasing like hell.

Sounds about right to me. Good riddance to windows. What a piece of shit operating system :P
Linux for the geeks, and OS X/iOS/Android for the rest of us.
krusher wrote:This thread is going of-topic with people's irrelevant political rants that belong in CTF. Windows 8 is here whether you like it or not, and whether you have a need for it or not.
Businesses do not run on Slackware/Gentoo Linux because it is "free".
You mean such as ISPs/Governments/Stock Exchanges/Amazon/Facebook/Google/etc ?
krusher

Post by krusher »

stevenaaus wrote:Sounds about right to me. Good riddance to windows. What a piece of shit operating system :P

I have windows, android AND LINUX but these all have their purposes. I'm yet to go to my bank, speak to a financial advisor and she logs on to her android smartphone or Linux desktop to offer me financial advice. I'm yet to go to my healthcare provider (quoted on FTSE 100) and see the nurse/doctor logging on to Slackware Linux to get my scan.

Most of the people who claim not to have a use for windows are not mainstream home/enterprise users. If you are sitting at home idling your thumbs all day you can play on your Linux box or play angry birds on Android.

Even if you have come from the moon you will have heard of a German ERP system called SAP, hmm what are their system requirements? Android or Linux? Ask Thorsten Czub why not?

People in the real world do not play political games, they use what is the most convenient for them. Whether you like it or not, Windows is here to stay.
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

krusher wrote:
stevenaaus wrote:Sounds about right to me. Good riddance to windows. What a piece of shit operating system :P

I have windows, android AND LINUX but these all have their purposes. I'm yet to go to my bank, speak to a financial advisor and she logs on to her android smartphone or Linux desktop to offer me financial advice. I'm yet to go to my healthcare provider (quoted on FTSE 100) and see the nurse/doctor logging on to Slackware Linux to get my scan.

Most of the people who claim not to have a use for windows are not mainstream home/enterprise users. If you are sitting at home idling your thumbs all day you can play on your Linux box or play angry birds on Android.

Even if you have come from the moon you will have heard of a German ERP system called SAP, hmm what are their system requirements? Android or Linux? Ask Thorsten Czub why not?

People in the real world do not play political games, they use what is the most convenient for them. Whether you like it or not, Windows is here to stay.
I totally agree with your statement......
Well said regards,
Dr.D
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….