What is your take on AMD's new processor?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

rbarreira

Re: What is your take on AMD's new processor?

Post by rbarreira »

jpqy wrote: AMD FX-8350 vs Intel Core i7-3770K @ 4.8GHz

Read more: http://vr-zone.com/articles/amd-fx-8350 ... z2AEKeAtnQ
Comparing a $200 CPU with a $300 CPU, hehe.
tano-urayoan

Post by tano-urayoan »

M ANSARI wrote:The key point here is overclocking. The Intel cpu's can overclock reliably to very high rates which dramatically improves their performance.
From the reviews I read:"Even though we didn’t spend as much time as we would have liked to on overclocking the FX-8350, it was a joy to work with. By simply increasing the multiplier to 24.5x and upping a few basic voltages we were able to hit 4.9GHz with absolute stability." Hardwarecanucks

"In the end, we were able to take the FX-8350 up to a stable 4.7GHz. " hothardware

"AMD's FX architecture was designed for very high clock speeds...All of these chips should be good for close to 5GHz depending on your luck of the draw and cooling" Anandtech

"The Piledriver-based FX-8350 did even better, chewing through our benchmark suite at a dead stable 5GHz with the help of a Corsair H100 water cooling system." Benchmarks reviews

"We managed to overclock our AMD FX-8350 with our irreplaceable NZXT Havik 140 cooler to 4.7 GHz without any stability losses." Xbitlabs

"Using a 1.375 V CPU voltage and a 1.175 V northbridge voltage, I was able to get FX-8350 running stably at 4.8 GHz under full load. " Tom's hardware

"With only a few tweaks within the ASUS Crosshair V formula BIOS we were able to bring the AMD FX-8350 to a rock solid 4.9GHz at only 1.45 Volts on the core." Legitreviews

The problem seems powerconsumption. This chip is watt hungry under full load.
M ANSARI

Post by M ANSARI »

Even at 5 Ghz, the FX-8350 seems to be slower than an i7 3370K processor that is also overclocked but running only 4 cores (AMD 8350 has 8 cores). I guess for the price the AMD processor might be an excellent choice, but for performance remember that the 3370K is still a few processors below Intel's best, as Intel has a 6 core processor that will blow out of the water AMD's top processor. AMD really did well against Intel during the P4 era, and they were by far the best processor for computer chess ... unfortunately this is not true anymore and they seem to be going for the best value rather than best performance. I will say that the FX-8350 is a huge step forward for AMD, and that it kept compatibility with older motherboards and memory is really a plus. I hate having to switch out motherboard and memory every time Intel comes up with a new platform, which makes having to upgrade a major overhaul.