Houdini 3 with Scorpio Bitbases Question

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Albert Silver

Re: Houdini 3 with Scorpio Bitbases Question

Post by Albert Silver »

gotogo wrote:don't know how good the bitbases are for analysis but for game play they don't play well at all... Even with huge material advantages the bitbases will not engage in checkmate.

just check out some of these games posted at

http://rybkaforum.net/cgi-bin/rybkaforu ... ?tid=25859
Thanks, that was quite informative. Looks like my concern is actually the hard truth. Good to know.
"Tactics are the bricks and sticks that make up a game, but positional play is the architectural blueprint."
Sylwy
Full name: SilvianR

Re:Chironello 1.5- my great love !

Post by Sylwy »

Albert Silver wrote:
gotogo wrote:don't know how good the bitbases are for analysis but for game play they don't play well at all... Even with huge material advantages the bitbases will not engage in checkmate.

just check out some of these games posted at

http://rybkaforum.net/cgi-bin/rybkaforu ... ?tid=25859
Thanks, that was quite informative. Looks like my concern is actually the hard truth. Good to know.

Hello Albert !

Just now I have seen your message ( I was in a Rybkaforum trip, a nice man enlightened me with a problem).

Scorpio bitbases are loaded into the RAM memory and used in search. Using these bitbases an engine can see more quickly a favorable situation but then is need to switch to Nalimov or Gaviota TBs to see the concrete moves to mate. The bitbases show, always, only the evaluation of a position.

That's nice to use a chess program being able to use together Scorpio egbbs and Nalimov/Gaviota TBs. They are some. Not the case for Houdini 3.

Chiron 1.5 - my dear Chironello , more than the acclaimed chess program of Maestro Ubaldo Andre Farina can use four (4) tablebases/bitbases:

-Nalimov TBs;
-Gaviota TBs;
-Scorpio egbbs;
-Chiron bbs (own bitbases).

A very fine chess engine ! Especially to analyze !

Have a nice day !

SilvianR :wink: