Houdini 3 with Scorpio Bitbases Question

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Adam Hair

Re: Any conflict

Post by Adam Hair »

Sylwy wrote:
Adam Hair wrote:According to what Robert told the CCRL, if the GUI sends the paths for multiple table and bit bases, Houdini will use whatever the last path that was sent. He recommended choosing just one of the three available bases and enter the path to them. Don't use more than one.
Hi Adam !

The pairs:

1.Scorpio+Nalimov, or
2.Scorpio+Gaviota

are OK. Scorpio egbbs are loaded into the RAM memory (and used in search), Nalimov TBS are used to root for a concrete mate. No conflicts !

Regards,
SilvianR :wink:
Thanks!
Houdini

Post by Houdini »

Sylwy wrote:
Adam Hair wrote:According to what Robert told the CCRL, if the GUI sends the paths for multiple table and bit bases, Houdini will use whatever the last path that was sent. He recommended choosing just one of the three available bases and enter the path to them. Don't use more than one.
Hi Adam !

The pairs:

1.Scorpio+Nalimov, or
2.Scorpio+Gaviota

are OK. Scorpio egbbs are loaded into the RAM memory (and used in search), Nalimov TBS are used to root for a concrete mate. No conflicts !

Regards,
For Houdini there is a conflict, it will only use one of the 3 EGTB systems at the time.

Robert
Sylwy
Full name: SilvianR

Post by Sylwy »

Houdini wrote:
Sylwy wrote:
Hi Adam !

The pairs:

1.Scorpio+Nalimov, or
2.Scorpio+Gaviota

Regards,
For Houdini there is a conflict, it will only use one of the 3 EGTB systems at the time.

Robert
This means a different architecture !

Shredder (Nalimov+Shredderbases) , Chiron (Nalimov/Gaviota+Scorpio egbbs), Patzer (Nalimov+Patzer bbs), Yace Paderborn2003 (Nalimov +Yace bbs), Daydreamer (Gaviota+Scorpio egbbs) ..........work very well !

Regards,
Aser Huerga

Post by Aser Huerga »

Houdini wrote:
Sylwy wrote:
Hi Adam !

The pairs:

1.Scorpio+Nalimov, or
2.Scorpio+Gaviota

Regards,

Robert
So Robert, which setting do you like the most for analysis?
Thanks.
Houdini

Post by Houdini »

Aser Huerga wrote:So Robert, which setting do you like the most for analysis?
Thanks.
All 3 systems work very well, I don't have any preference.
Of course only Nalimov has 6-man bases, but if you're fine with the 5-man tables they're all very good.

Robert
Sylwy

Re: For Analysis- only Nalimov/Gaviota

Post by Sylwy »

Houdini wrote:
Thanks.
Of course only Nalimov has 6-man bases, but if you're fine with the 5-man tables they're all very good.

Robert

Bitbases (Scorpio, for example) will typically not help, to show a mate score. A winning position might be scored +15 or more.
In analysis you need exactity !

Modern Times

Post by Modern Times »

But you may not get to choose. Whichever UCI option the GUI sends to the engine last, is what is used (if I interpret Robert correctly). So for example, I can never use Gaviota tablebases with Houdini under ChessGUI, because ChessGUI sends the Nalimov command after Gaviota. And I have no control over that.

What Houdini needs is a UCI parameter where you tell it which tablebases that you want it to use, like Chiron has.
Sylwy

Post by Sylwy »

Modern Times wrote:
What Houdini needs is a UCI parameter where you tell it which tablebases that you want it to use, like Chiron has.

Correct !

IWB

Post by IWB »

Houdini wrote:
Thanks.
In that case I stick with the GTB. As I use only 4pc anyhow which are in memory after very few access I doubt a difference to the Scorpio bitbases at all ... That saves time and energy :-)

Bye
Ingo
Modern Times

Post by Modern Times »

For engine matches, I found that with Scorpio bases there was a delay of several seconds while they loaded into memory, and the GUI's engine clock was ticking while that was happening. So not a good idea for blitz matches. (Perhaps this is GUI dependent). So I don't use them.