Houdini 3 released

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

EroSennin

Re: Houdini 3 released

Post by EroSennin »

Uri Blass wrote:
oreopoulos wrote:Houdini can be installed only in 3 pc's!!!

This is not stated anywhere in the site, before you buy Houdini.
A friend who has 2 computers when one of them is not connected to the internet asked me if in case that he buys houdini he can copy houdini to the second computer and use it also there.

He is going to buy houdini3 if there is no practical problem to do it.
I have the same problem. Will it work in both computers Houdart?
Modern Times

Post by Modern Times »

Surely you can connect the other one temporarily to the internet for the installation ? It is not uncommon these days to require online.
EroSennin

Post by EroSennin »

Modern Times wrote:Surely you can connect the other one temporarily to the internet for the installation ? It is not uncommon these days to require online.
Nope. I am not a computer wizard. It is a new computer and I have not yet been able to figure the answer out.
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

EroSennin wrote:
Uri Blass wrote:

A friend who has 2 computers when one of them is not connected to the internet asked me if in case that he buys houdini he can copy houdini to the second computer and use it also there.

It would be much more polite to refer to him as Robert.
gbanksnz at gmail.com
Houdini

Post by Houdini »

Paul Bedrey wrote:I'm still a little confused. Not sure of the download process. I have 5 computers. I understand that the default is 3 and I can request more BUT do I have to access the internet from each of my computers or is it one download? Some of my computers are 32-bit and some 64-bit. I have not purchased a program in a while but I thought normally you get both a 32 and 64 bit version at one time.
You'll have to activate Houdini from each computer, currently this requires an internet access (just for the duration of the activation, not afterwards).
The default activation limit is 4, we'll happily increase this at your simple request.

In due course we will also make available an off-line activation module, but this will require more support from our side, therefore we have no other choice than to delay this until the first rush of the release is behind us.

The Houdini Setup contains both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions, if you install on a 32-bit Windows you will find the 32-bit engine, on 64-bit Windows the 64-bit engine.

Best regards,
Robert
rvida

Post by rvida »

pohl4711 wrote:Houdini 3 is there: http://www.cruxis.com/chess/houdini.htm
Congratulations to Robert Houdart for the incredible progress he made. The new Houdini makes look other top 5 engines like amateur projects :)

Guess I should go back to drawing board - together with Don & Larry, Marco & Joona :)
gerold

Post by gerold »

Graham Banks wrote:
EroSennin wrote:
Uri Blass wrote:

It would be much more polite to refer to him as Robert.
I have heard this before about using the last name. In this part of the country if you call someone by there last name it is showing more respect for that person. Some people even insist you address them by their last name. In the military we always called each other by last name.
EroSennin

Post by EroSennin »

Yay I got my computer working after more than a week. Now if just my copy of houdini would arrive. Aaaargh.
M ANSARI

Post by M ANSARI »

Just finished an 8 core match with H3 vs Rybka 4.1 and must say there is a huge improvement in Houdini 3 over any other Houdini. I still have problems with some execution errors which seems to be caused by the activation so I can't really post the score or games until this is sorted out as many games are lost after only a couple of moves due to this problem. But looking at the games that were played I can see a huge improvement in King Safety, dynamic play, rook endgames, and just an overall very solid evaluation. Gone are the few weaknesses that used to allow Rybka 4.1 to win a lot of games, and instead Rybka 4.1 is really punished for its own weaknesses. I really couldn't see any weaknesses in the engine, it is lean and super fast and has an excellent evaluation, and just very very efficient. This has the feel of Rybka 3 all over again with a difference that this is just much better tested and bug free (except for the activation setup).
Vinvin
Full name: Vincent Lejeune

Post by Vinvin »

rvida wrote:
pohl4711 wrote:Houdini 3 is there: http://www.cruxis.com/chess/houdini.htm
Congratulations to Robert Houdart for the incredible progress he made. The new Houdini makes look other top 5 engines like amateur projects :)

Guess I should go back to drawing board - together with Don & Larry, Marco & Joona :)
We'd love to see this dream team at work ! But that means no more freeware at the top :evil: . Oh wait, Vas didn't stop working for the last 48 hours :-)