How Much Is Hiarcs 14 worth?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

How Much Is Hiarcs 14 Worth?

US$0.00
15%
US$1.00 to US$10.00
19%
US$11.00 to US$20.00
18%
US$21.00 to US$30.00
18%
US$31.00 to US$40.00
6%
US$41.00 to US$50.00
3%
US$51.00 to US$60.00
3%
US$61.00 to US$70.00
No votes
US$71.00 to US$79.95
18%

Total votes: 62

styx

Re: How Much Is Hiarcs 14 worth?

Post by styx »

ah ok. thank you for the enlightenment :)
Hood

Post by Hood »

Do you mean intellectual or market value?
Polish National tragedy in Smoleńsk. President and all delegation murdered or killed.
Cui bono ?

There are not bugs free programs.
There are programs with undiscovered bugs.

Ashes to ashes dust to dust. Alleluia.
JuLieN
Full name: Julien Marcel

Post by JuLieN »

After 58 votes the medium value is 31.37 if you take the upper value of the intervals. Sounds a reasonable price.
"The only good bug is a dead bug." (Don Dailey)
[Blog: http://tinyurl.com/predateur ] [Facebook: http://tinyurl.com/fbpredateur ] [MacEngines: http://tinyurl.com/macengines ]
Modern Times

Post by Modern Times »

JuLieN wrote:After 58 votes the medium value is 31.37 if you take the upper value of the intervals. Sounds a reasonable price.
Yes, 66% of people say $30 or less.
S.Taylor

Post by S.Taylor »

Sean Evans wrote:Hello group,

At the moment Hiarcs 14 is retailing for: £49.95 / €59.95 / $79.95.

How much would you be willing to pay for Hiarcs? In other words, what do you feel is the value of Hiarcs 14?

I note that the IPON rating list has Hiarcs rated at ninth place! A full 200ELO below Houdini and Komodo!!

The CCRL rating list has Hiarcs in fourteenth place. Again 200 ELO below the top rated engines.

In addition, Hiarcs is only a 32bit program, there is no 64bit program!

Cordially,

Sean
I hope that hiarcs ends up higher, as i have just ordered it.
The reason i paid that much ($99), even though i need the strongest there is, is, for the other features too, as well asa the fact that it is now the first time in a few years that i am buying ANY program, so i agreed to pay that much.
I also hope it is more stable than free programs, and will be easy to use as well as many features.

I am thinking of next one to buy as being Houdini 3.
I hope that too, will be easy to use.

Then, i might never need another program.
sainzlei

Post by sainzlei »

Maximum I can pay is 20 bucks .

Nowadays had been too many free engines strong than it .
S.Taylor

Post by S.Taylor »

sainzlei wrote:Maximum I can pay is 20 bucks .

Nowadays had been too many free engines strong than it .

I have 2 comments on that:

1). I hope, and i get the impression, that it can be felt how much work was put into it all, and how well it works etc.
I have enough trouble with my recently downloaded Arena with some nice free engines inside. (Others might work better, but i would hope that Hiarcs is much better still).

2). Playing strength: just imagine how many people at the time would have gladly given $500 for a copy of the Deeper thought program which beat Kasparov. This is much much stronger than that, isn't it?
Sean Evans

Post by Sean Evans »

S.Taylor wrote:
Sean Evans wrote:Hello group,

At the moment Hiarcs 14 is retailing for: £49.95 / €59.95 / $79.95.

How much would you be willing to pay for Hiarcs? In other words, what do you feel is the value of Hiarcs 14?

I note that the IPON rating list has Hiarcs rated at ninth place! A full 200ELO below Houdini and Komodo!!

The CCRL rating list has Hiarcs in fourteenth place. Again 200 ELO below the top rated engines.

In addition, Hiarcs is only a 32bit program, there is no 64bit program!

Cordially,

Sean
I hope that hiarcs ends up higher, as i have just ordered it.
The reason i paid that much ($99), even though i need the strongest there is, is, for the other features too, as well asa the fact that it is now the first time in a few years that i am buying ANY program, so i agreed to pay that much.
I also hope it is more stable than free programs, and will be easy to use as well as many features.

I am thinking of next one to buy as being Houdini 3.
I hope that too, will be easy to use.

Then, i might never need another program.
Umm...you do know that Houdini is based on a pirated platform? If so, you are contributing to illegal activity. Nice to know your true nature Taylor.

"Get Your Paws Off of Me You Stinking Ape" !!
S.Taylor

Post by S.Taylor »

I know some people feel strongly. I suppose i would appreaciate it more if i were a hard working programmer.
But, which programmer today hasn't looked at it, and which programmer doesn't get affected by some of it? I thought the difference is dissolving already.
Besides, do you think that Hiarcs, would be stronger than the upcoming Houdini 3, if he used the code too? I thought that Robert Houdart did most of the work himself, and deserves to earn money for his end result.

[but what i understand is that this is an unending subject which needed a seperate forum].