How Much Is Hiarcs 14 worth?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

How Much Is Hiarcs 14 Worth?

US$0.00
15%
US$1.00 to US$10.00
19%
US$11.00 to US$20.00
18%
US$21.00 to US$30.00
18%
US$31.00 to US$40.00
6%
US$41.00 to US$50.00
3%
US$51.00 to US$60.00
3%
US$61.00 to US$70.00
No votes
US$71.00 to US$79.95
18%

Total votes: 62

overlord

Re: How Much Is Hiarcs 14 worth?

Post by overlord »

Hiearcs 14 is worth 0 Euro/US dollars. Why should someone buy so weak engine, when much stronger Houdini or Stockfish is available for free...
kinderchocolate
Full name: Ted Wong

Post by kinderchocolate »

overlord wrote:Hiearcs 14 is worth 0 Euro/US dollars. Why should someone buy so weak engine, when much stronger Houdini or Stockfish is available for free...
Well, the GUI is also very difficult to program. You're paying for the engine plus GUI.
mclane
Full name: Thorsten Czub

Post by mclane »

overlord wrote:Hiearcs 14 is worth 0 Euro/US dollars. Why should someone buy so weak engine, when much stronger Houdini or Stockfish is available for free...
hiarcs plays different than atockfish or houdini. its good for analysis.
What seems like a fairy tale today may be reality tomorrow.
Here we have a fairy tale of the day after tomorrow....
Dr. Axel Schumacher
Location: Cologne-Uppsala-St. Petersburg-Cambridge-Toronto-Munich-Basel

Post by Dr. Axel Schumacher »

mclane wrote:
Playing differently is no reason to buy. I play very differently compared to Houdini or Stockfish, but I do not assume somebody wants to hire me for analyses ;-)

Since Hiarcs is much weaker, the chance to get a weak analysis compared to much stronger engines is high. So I cannot see a reason to "value" a different style, UNLESS the engine is nearly as strong as the competition.

Since most chess positions usually have a more or less best move, a personal style is just a sign for weakness. In theory, if engines can be further improved, chess engines should play nearly identical in the future.
"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five".
Groucho Marx
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

Someone who actually has experience with this in correspondence Chess (Uly on Rybkaforum) tells a completely different story, though. Accoring to him Houdini is virtually useless, because it initially produces moves that, although winning in blitz, are losing in correspondence Chess. By the time (many hours) it switches to moves that are any good, other engines have already settled on those moves for a long time. So he does no longer use Houdini, but HIARCS, which suggests moves no other engine suggests, he considers a valuable asset...
Dr. Axel Schumacher

hgm wrote:Someone who actually has experience with this in correspondence Chess (Uly on Rybkaforum) tells a completely different story, though. Accoring to him Houdini is virtually useless, because it initially produces moves that, although winning in blitz, are losing in correspondence Chess. By the time (many hours) it switches to moves that are any good, other engines have already settled on those moves for a long time. So he does no longer use Houdini, but HIARCS, which suggests moves no other engine suggests, he considers a valuable asset...
OK, I agree, in this case it simply means that HIARCS is able to play at competitive level for correspondence chess purposes.
So my previous statement still holds; I cannot see a reason to "value" a different style, UNLESS the engine is nearly as strong as the competition.
Groucho Marx
mclane

Post by mclane »

Dr. Axel Schumacher wrote:
mclane wrote:
Playing differently is no reason to buy. I play very differently compared to Houdini or Stockfish, but I do not assume somebody wants to hire me for analyses ;-)

Since Hiarcs is much weaker, the chance to get a weak analysis compared to much stronger engines is high. So I cannot see a reason to "value" a different style, UNLESS the engine is nearly as strong as the competition.

Since most chess positions usually have a more or less best move, a personal style is just a sign for weakness. In theory, if engines can be further improved, chess engines should play nearly identical in the future.
programs like houdini or rybka are not very good if you want to do analysis for mail-chess.
they are not intelligent enough. search depth is not everything.
mclane

Post by mclane »

hgm wrote:Someone who actually has experience with this in correspondence Chess (Uly on Rybkaforum) tells a completely different story, though. Accoring to him Houdini is virtually useless, because it initially produces moves that, although winning in blitz, are losing in correspondence Chess. By the time (many hours) it switches to moves that are any good, other engines have already settled on those moves for a long time. So he does no longer use Houdini, but HIARCS, which suggests moves no other engine suggests, he considers a valuable asset...
OK, I agree, in this case it simply means that HIARCS is able to play at competitive level for correspondence chess purposes.
So my previous statement still holds; I cannot see a reason to "value" a different style, UNLESS the engine is nearly as strong as the competition.
you are wrong IMO.
for mail chess, its important to make interesting and intelligent moves.
Dr. Axel Schumacher

mclane wrote:
you are wrong IMO.
for mail chess, its important to make interesting and intelligent moves.
this applies to any form of chess
Groucho Marx
mclane

Post by mclane »

this applies to any form of chess
in other chess forms, time control is critical. and fast engines can outsearch others. in mail chess this is not so important.