The end of ChessWar

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

jmartus

Re: The end of ChessWar

Post by jmartus »

another one bites the dust. the good ol days of computer chess are gone forever
Adam Hair

Post by Adam Hair »

Graham Banks wrote:
Olivier Deville wrote:Dear friends,

This is to confirm the rumours that ChessWar is going to an end.

Of course, I am annoyed by all the clone/derivative stories, but the main reason is I now want to spend my time with other things.

I am still interested in amateur chess engines, and I really liked the social event of broadcasting games. So possibly there will be a new edition of OpenWar at the end of the year. We'll see.

Of course I'll keep the Winboard Forum alive.

Olivier
Computer chess is a disease. I'm sure you'll be back! :wink:
Meanwhile, thanks for all you've done and have fun with your other interests.

Graham.
Hopefully you have a chronic case of computer chessitis, Graham :)
rodolfoleoni

Post by rodolfoleoni »

Thanks, Olivier, for the time and energy you dedicated at the project. It has been funny to watch at events and to participate at chats. I hope there'll be a bit of your time for CC in future, anyway.

Together with Leo's choice, it's a great loss for the community.

Hopefully, someone else could offer himself to run and broadcast the next Chesswar edition, following your rules. Someone like Graham....
Rodolfo (The Baron Team)
Christopher Conkie

Post by Christopher Conkie »

Of course, I am annoyed by all the clone/derivative stories, but the main reason is I now want to spend my time with other things.

I am still interested in amateur chess engines, and I really liked the social event of broadcasting games. So possibly there will be a new edition of OpenWar at the end of the year. We'll see.

Olivier
I will help you in any way I can. My retirement is over. There must be at least one pure place in computer chess.

In the UK they expect us to work forever these days anyway.

To be in ChessWar and WBEC is to have "arrived". No one will know where they are if they are gone. It is only now that we can see the truly partially sighted. Maybe their cataracts are due for removal. We shall talk soon Olivier.

Regards

Chris
rodolfoleoni

Post by rodolfoleoni »

Christopher Conkie wrote:

Olivier
I will help you in any way I can. My retirement is over. There must be at least one pure place in computer chess.

To be in ChessWar and WBEC is to have "arrived". No one will know where they are if they are gone. It is only now that we can see the truly partially sighted. Maybe their cataracts are due for removal. We shall talk soon Olivier.

Regards

Chris
I't very positive from you. I've got the idea of creating a group who can continue the Chesswar tourneys in respect of Olivier's rules. Trustworthy people like you.

I posted this idea on Winboard forum and Olivier likes it.

http://www.open-aurec.com/wbforum/viewt ... =2&t=52559

Is it a deal? ;)
Rodolfo (The Baron Team)
Christopher Conkie

rodolfoleoni wrote:
Christopher Conkie wrote:

Olivier

Regards

Chris
I't very positive from you. I've got the idea of creating a group who can continue the Chesswar tourneys in respect of Olivier's rules. Trustworthy people like you.

I posted this idea on Winboard forum and Olivier likes it.

http://www.open-aurec.com/wbforum/viewt ... =2&t=52559

Is it a deal? ;)
Deal.
markchessman

Post by markchessman »

well I made my engines because of you! & your broadcasts! thanks Olivier. I leave hobbies too but I return when Im re-energised hope you think of returning someday
Christopher Conkie

markchessman wrote:well I made my engines because of you! & your broadcasts! thanks Olivier. I leave hobbies too but I return when Im re-energised hope you think of returning someday
This is not going to go away.
nanochess

Post by nanochess »

What a sad news!

I've to say that ChessWar and OpenWar were great ways to test Toledo Nanochess, and thanks to these tournaments I was able to improve several things.

My best wishes for Olivier, he has been always very kind in email and is a great person.
All good things are difficult to achieve.
Toledo Nanochess book http://www.amazon.com/Toledo-Nanochess- ... 1304864375