Why do people take chess so seriously?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Uri

Re: Why do people take chess so seriously?

Post by Uri »

Houdini wrote:Do you know any other hobby where the absolute best in the world is so affordable, and where so much awesome free stuff is available?
No I don't know that any such Hobby exists.
S.Taylor

Post by S.Taylor »

Uri wrote:
Houdini wrote:Do you know any other hobby where the absolute best in the world is so affordable, and where so much awesome free stuff is available?
No I don't know that any such Hobby exists.
I mentioned one, above.
However, very slightly lower down the line, for me, is classical music, (piano/violin). But then you are faced with HUGE expense if you want a violin and bow which really plays well.

This really shows up what Robert is saying! Some people might not get the sound they want and deserve [me included!], for less than a few million dollars! (e.g. a Stradivarius violin).
Ponti

Post by Ponti »

I've learned chess when I was 8, and started to play in tournaments when I was 13 years old. It was fun, and I could travel to other cities free of charge, as I became of the best players of my school.

When I entered the school of Medicine at University, I thought that playing against a computer could boost my chess. My aunt that lived in New York bought for me a copy of Sargon III (5 1/4" diskette!). As I did not own a computer myself, I entered computer classes for novices at the university (they taught Basic, Dbase and publishing tools). The teacher did not allow the students to play games there, so I started to play "blindfold", just using the printer to print Sargon's replies. It really boosted my game, and latter I became twice champion of my School of Medicine, and vice-champion of the Universities of my city (the guy that became champion is now a Fide Master and makes a living out of chess). Well, I learned enough Dbase to make my own medical database to use at my office.

My local chess club needed to build a webpage. At my spare time I've learned basic HTML codes just to help... and built all their pages (http://www.cxc.org.br/index_.html). That was fun, too.

As a clinical neurologist I advise most of my patients with attention and memory problems to try to learn and play chess. It is a great "cognitive tool".

I've spent some money on programs and engines and chess databases and other stuff along these years, but I think chess gave me much more in return ! I've also made friends (once a girlfriend!) and have had a lot of fun.
A. Ponti
AMD Ryzen 1800x, Windows 10.
FIDE current ratings: standard 1913, rapid 1931
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

Ponti wrote:I've learned chess when I was 8, and started to play in tournaments when I was 13 years old. It was fun, and I could travel to other cities free of charge, as I became of the best players of my school.

When I entered the school of Medicine at University, I thought that playing against a computer could boost my chess. My aunt that lived in New York bought for me a copy of Sargon III (5 1/4" diskette!). As I did not own a computer myself, I entered computer classes for novices at the university (they taught Basic, Dbase and publishing tools). The teacher did not allow the students to play games there, so I started to play "blindfold", just using the printer to print Sargon's replies. It really boosted my game, and latter I became twice champion of my School of Medicine, and vice-champion of the Universities of my city (the guy that became champion is now a Fide Master and makes a living out of chess). Well, I learned enough Dbase to make my own medical database to use at my office.

My local chess club needed to build a webpage. At my spare time I've learned basic HTML codes just to help... and built all their pages (http://www.cxc.org.br/index_.html). That was fun, too.

As a clinical neurologist I advise most of my patients with attention and memory problems to try to learn and play chess. It is a great "cognitive tool".

I've spent some money on programs and engines and chess databases and other stuff along these years, but I think chess gave me much more in return ! I've also made friends (once a girlfriend!) and have had a lot of fun.
Huh,another doctor in the house and is also interested in computer chess and chess in general........

And I thought that I am the onley medical nerd here :wink:
Best regards,
Dr.D
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
IGarcia

Post by IGarcia »

Uri wrote:I mean it's just a rather stupid game.

People really spend a lot of money on this game. I mean people buy very expensive computer hardware and quite expensive programs just to be able to defeat others at chess.

But when you think about it, why spend tons of money on a game?
The game is not stupid. its a game, and the way you judge its very subjetive.
The hardware is not only bought for chess, in most cases.
"expensive" its very relative. For many the computer/software will cost just a little of their income.
People interested in computer chess has many other reasons than "be able to defeat others at chess"

Many people thinks in terms of "investing" on the game, rather than spending. And there is so much for free in the internet. Ofcourse not all free, but its every one choice.

Personally I "invest" more money in my other sports ( runing, squash, rowing). Just an example, only my concept e2 rowing cost double as my computer, or with the same money I can bought about ~90 chess books. Add a heart rate monitor, and other gear
Ponti

Post by Ponti »

:lol:

I'd also like to say that I'm married and although I think my wife hates chess (but she never said that...) and specially the time I spend with it, we've travelled some times because of chess tournaments and she enjoyed it.

Some definitions:

1) Definition of HOBBY
: a pursuit outside one's regular occupation engaged in especially for relaxation. (from Merrian-Webster)

2) Definition of ADDICTION
: compulsive need for and use of a habit-forming substance (as heroin, nicotine, or alcohol) characterized by tolerance and by well-defined physiological symptoms upon withdrawal; broadly : persistent compulsive use of a substance known by the user to be harmful.(also from Merrian-Webster)

3) GAME ADDICTION
Game Addiction raises problems in daily life by causing drop of grades, estrangement in personal relations in real life and conflicts between family members due to one's excessive enthusiasm toward Internet, especially the online games.
Physiological dependence on the online games which is caused by the excessive obsession or habitual behavior extends the time for getting certain level of satisfaction regarding games and withdrawal symptoms such as anxiety, nervousness are accompanied by the Game Addiction.
(from http://www.iwill.or.kr/eng/define/define_gm.jsp)
A. Ponti
Ponti

Post by Ponti »

Reading chess books I've learned Spanish (well, it is similar to portuguese, and I must say I have facility to learn foreign languages - french, italian...).

Besides the chess stuff, chess books can be also fun to read, and most of them are really cheap.

The fact that I own more than 300 chess books is just a little detail.
A. Ponti
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

Ponti wrote:Reading chess books I've learned Spanish (well, it is similar to portuguese, and I must say I have facility to learn foreign languages - french, italian...).

Besides the chess stuff, chess books can be also fun to read, and most of them are really cheap.

The fact that I own more than 300 chess books is just a little detail.
It seems that your a great personality my friend....

Thanks God that there are people like you in our forum....
Dr.D
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
Ponti

Post by Ponti »

Playing against chess engines is not a hobby or addiction.
It's masochism. They beat me in 99% of the games.

Yeah, I spend time analysing those games (and for that I also use the engines)... but it is not crazy as it is a way of training for tournaments. In this case it is a sport.

Being such a bad OTB player (I'm just rated =~2031 FIDE), I pursue perfection playing correspondence chess too.

I've bought Fritz, Shredder, Junior, Hiarcs and many other chess engines.

Although I like to play chess, it is not an addiction for me - I can stay many months not playing it.
A. Ponti