a general moderation point ....

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

chrisw

a general moderation point ....

Post by chrisw »

Congrats to the CCC mods. There are a few issues that concern.

Any complaint sent in by the ! button concerning here or the EO forum is displayed in full, together with mod responses on a general mod forum which is open to CTF mods as well. Under normal circumstances this would not perhaps appear a problem, except that I feel it inappropriate to make a ! complaint about a misbehaving CTF mod that can be read immediately, edited, deleted by same misbehaving CTF mod. Is it possible to flag up ! complaints such that they go to forum mods specifically and not mods who are unrelated to the forum in question?

Secondly, you might think this post should be in Help and Suggestions, but, again in that case, I, and possibly others, won't post into that forum for obvious reasons.

Thirdly, all user IP addresses are immediately available to all mods, including those not responsible for the forum one is actually reading or writing to. There are certain individuals I deem it inappropriate to have access to my IP address. Is it actually necessary for mods to have access at all? I can see only bad coming from that knowledge on such a universal and simple basis.
Don

Re: a general moderation point ....

Post by Don »

chrisw wrote:Congrats to the CCC mods. There are a few issues that concern.

Any complaint sent in by the ! button concerning here or the EO forum is displayed in full, together with mod responses on a general mod forum which is open to CTF mods as well. Under normal circumstances this would not perhaps appear a problem, except that I feel it inappropriate to make a ! complaint about a misbehaving CTF mod that can be read immediately, edited, deleted by same misbehaving CTF mod. Is it possible to flag up ! complaints such that they go to forum mods specifically and not mods who are unrelated to the forum in question?

Secondly, you might think this post should be in Help and Suggestions, but, again in that case, I, and possibly others, won't post into that forum for obvious reasons.

Thirdly, all user IP addresses are immediately available to all mods, including those not responsible for the forum one is actually reading or writing to. There are certain individuals I deem it inappropriate to have access to my IP address. Is it actually necessary for mods to have access at all? I can see only bad coming from that knowledge on such a universal and simple basis.
The IP button is a good moderation tool. Many times in the past a user would join up under some false name, create all sorts of trouble, get removed from the forum and then do it again, in some case MANY times. Also we have had cases (not in my mod term but others) of the same person creating 20 or more "users" in order to vote or support himself.
Capital punishment would be more effective as a preventive measure if it were administered prior to the crime.
marcelk

Post by marcelk »

Don wrote: The IP button is a good moderation tool. Many times in the past a user would join up under some false name, create all sorts of trouble, get removed from the forum and then do it again, in some case MANY times. Also we have had cases (not in my mod term but others) of the same person creating 20 or more "users" in order to vote or support himself.
For that purpose, say a 12 bit hash the upper 3 bytes together with the lower byte are sufficient.

I tend to agree with the IP concern. I travel a lot and it is none of the moderators' concern where that is.

Using a VPN service might be a worthwhile countermeasure. There are plenty of those. Also good for watching streaming TV content from your home country (or others) bypassing "region restrictions".
michiguel

Post by michiguel »

I am almost sure they go to the proper forum. I do not remember I ever received a CTF complaint.

Miguel

JuLieN
Full name: Julien Marcel

Post by JuLieN »

We are not accountable for what happens in CTF, Chris.

My suggestion: take screenshots to serve as proofs if you fear a post will be edited. A mod must follow the forum's charter and be exemplary. If he doesn't he gets banned, just like everybody. The alternate mod's point is not only to make coffee for the three others.
"The only good bug is a dead bug." (Don Dailey)
[Blog: http://tinyurl.com/predateur ] [Facebook: http://tinyurl.com/fbpredateur ] [MacEngines: http://tinyurl.com/macengines ]
chrisw

Post by chrisw »

JuLieN wrote:

My suggestion: take screenshots to serve as proofs if you fear a post will be edited. A mod must follow the forum's charter and be exemplary. If he doesn't he gets banned, just like everybody. The alternate mod's point is not only to make coffee for the three others.
indeed you are not accountable for CTF, neither am I, I don't post there. But why do CTF mods get access to my, and everybody's, IP address, even when we shun the place?

I was not referrign to posts being edited, but to ! complaint messages beign edited. Miguel suggests that the system is changed now, and only forum mods get to see ! complaints and not mods from other forums - is that true now?

Also, since you reminded me, forum posts are deletable, editable by ANY mod, not necessarily the mod thta deals with the forum in question, any mod can also mess with your user details etc. In present circumstances, unless this has been changed, I see again only bad from such a widespread access to personal data. Can, or is it already changed, it be possible to restrict mod access to those of us who dont go near CTF?

As to me takign screenshots!! too much hassle. why shoudl I have to?
JuLieN

Post by JuLieN »

chrisw wrote:
JuLieN wrote:

indeed you are not accountable for CTF, neither am I, I don't post there. But why do CTF mods get access to my, and everybody's, IP address, even when we shun the place?

I was not referrign to posts being edited, but to ! complaint messages beign edited. Miguel suggests that the system is changed now, and only forum mods get to see ! complaints and not mods from other forums - is that true now?

Also, since you reminded me, forum posts are deletable, editable by ANY mod, not necessarily the mod thta deals with the forum in question, any mod can also mess with your user details etc. In present circumstances, unless this has been changed, I see again only bad from such a widespread access to personal data. Can, or is it already changed, it be possible to restrict mod access to those of us who dont go near CTF?

No, a mod from CTF can't edit posts here, nor can we edit posts in CTF. And, as Miguel said, we can't even access the CTF complaints, so they can't access ours. Relax. :)
[Blog: http://tinyurl.com/predateur ] [Facebook: http://tinyurl.com/fbpredateur ] [MacEngines: http://tinyurl.com/macengines ]
chrisw

Post by chrisw »

Don wrote:

The IP button is a good moderation tool. Many times in the past a user would join up under some false name, create all sorts of trouble, get removed from the forum and then do it again, in some case MANY times. Also we have had cases (not in my mod term but others) of the same person creating 20 or more "users" in order to vote or support himself.
I suspect that's an urban myth put out for discrediting purposes. Who has ever created multiple users? it's too pathetic.
JuLieN

Post by JuLieN »

chrisw wrote:
Don wrote:

I suspect that's an urban myth put out for discrediting purposes. Who has ever created multiple users? it's too pathetic.
It's no myth: even during our six months long first term we busted three of such accounts (and Sam probably busted more of them).
Adam Hair

Post by Adam Hair »

chrisw wrote:
JuLieN wrote:

I can confirm what Julien said. When I enter CTF and view a post, I lose the ability to edit posts. I lose all the added permissions that I have while viewing CCC posts.