Komodo 5 release now available!

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

MM

Re: Komodo 5 release now available!

Post by MM »

If i am wrong i will apologize with Don and larry but i think this version has (if) a very little improvement compared to Komodo 4, i would say around 10 elo.

If it is so it is a very sad day for all computer chess lovers and the triumph of Robert Houdart.

Best Regards
MM
Don

Post by Don »

MM wrote:If i am wrong i will apologize with Don and larry but i think this version has (if) a very little improvement compared to Komodo 4, i would say around 10 elo.

If it is so it is a very sad day for all computer chess lovers and the triumph of Robert Houdart.

Best Regards
We have MANY tester who have verified that Komodo 5 is much stronger than Komodo 4. This is based on thousands of games - and our own testing is showing over 30 ELO at 2+2 on very fast hardware - roughly equivalent to the IPON time control.

So I trust our 30,000 game sample much more than the 700 game sample - although I admit this is disappointing so far.

4448.00 and 4452.00 are very close to Komodo 5 -hardly any differences and Komodo 5 is just a better compiled version of these.

So let's wait and see what happens.

Code: Select all

Rank Name                       Elo      +      -    games   score   oppo.   draws 
   1 Komodo 5 64bit           3042.1   10.8   10.8    3097   56.8%  2995.2   43.8% 
   2 Komodo 4452.00 64 bit    3031.2    5.8    5.8   10793   55.2%  2995.4   44.4% 
   3 Komodo 4448.00 64 bit    3030.9   12.7   12.7    2251   56.5%  2985.8   43.4% 
   4 Houdini 1.5a x64         3025.9    7.3    7.3    6935   50.0%  3025.9   41.2% 
   5 Komodo 4445.00 64 bit    3024.3   10.4   10.4    3392   54.8%  2991.5   43.8% 
   6 Komodo 4 SSE4            3006.4   10.5   10.5    3381   52.1%  2991.7   40.2% 
   7 Critter 1.4 64-bit SSE4  3000.0    6.4    6.4    8696   46.3%  3025.4   45.2% 
   8 Stockfish 2.2.2 JA       2960.8    6.5    6.5    8677   40.5%  3026.7   44.0% 
Capital punishment would be more effective as a preventive measure if it were administered prior to the crime.
Mike S.

Post by Mike S. »

Note that what you see live, is Shredder's Elo calculation which AFAIK is based on, or at least similar to the EloStat calculation. But the IPON rating list itself is calculated with BayesElo, after a test has been finished. This could result in a +/- difference of some points, relative to the intermediate result on the live page.
Regards, Mike
Ron Langeveld

Post by Ron Langeveld »

Isn't it possible the AMD platform used by IPON needs a different Komodo 5 compile ? I may be mistaken but wasn't this an issue with earlier versions as well ?
Don

Post by Don »

Ron Langeveld wrote:Isn't it possible the AMD platform used by IPON needs a different Komodo 5 compile ? I may be mistaken but wasn't this an issue with earlier versions as well ?
That is possible, but I don't expect it to make 30 ELO of difference. It is optimized for modern Intel hardware so I would expect it to run at least slightly better on Intel.
Capital punishment would be more effective as a preventive measure if it were administered prior to the crime.
lkaufman

Post by lkaufman »

Since we are currently showing +36 elo for the actual release version over Komodo 4 after 3000 games by our network of (mostly) independent testers, against Houdini, Critter, and SF, if the IPON results end up way below this we need to find out why. The most likely suspect would be that we are doing something wrong relating to pondering, since we test with Ponder off and IPON (as the name implies) tests with Ponder ON. Another possibility is that the relatively large base time (relative to increment) in IPON (they use 5' + 3", we use 2' + 2") is unfavorable for K5. The AMD platform of IPON could also be an issue, we optimize on Intel. We'll have more info once the CCRL and CEGT tests come in for comparison.
tomgdrums

Post by tomgdrums »

Don wrote:A few people have tried to download from the site and just get Komodo 4 instead of Komodo 5.

We are doing something different this time - you will get an email with a temporary link - which you can use to download komodo 5. But I have had 3 or 4 reports of the email not coming - as it turns out the email MAY appear in your junk or spam folder - so check there if you don't receive it withing 5 minutes or so.

Don
For what it is worth it has been almost 5 hours since I purchased Komodo 5 and still no email for my download link. Looking forward to using the engine,

thanks!
Don

Post by Don »

tomgdrums wrote:
Don wrote:A few people have tried to download from the site and just get Komodo 4 instead of Komodo 5.

We are doing something different this time - you will get an email with a temporary link - which you can use to download komodo 5. But I have had 3 or 4 reports of the email not coming - as it turns out the email MAY appear in your junk or spam folder - so check there if you don't receive it withing 5 minutes or so.

Don
For what it is worth it has been almost 5 hours since I purchased Komodo 5 and still no email for my download link. Looking forward to using the engine,

thanks!
Tom,

I think you did get an email - the system shows that an email was sent out to you - please check your spam/junk folder. Several have reported that email is going to their spam. If I can figure out why that is I will try to improve the construction of it so that it is less likely to go there.

If you still cannot find it, send me a private email and I will make sure you get it.

Don
tomgdrums

Post by tomgdrums »

Don wrote:
tomgdrums wrote:

Don

thanks!
Tom,

I think you did get an email - the system shows that an email was sent out to you - please check your spam/junk folder. Several have reported that email is going to their spam. If I can figure out why that is I will try to improve the construction of it so that it is less likely to go there.

If you still cannot find it, send me a private email and I will make sure you get it.

Don
Hi Don,

I have been checking both my inbox and my spam folder and nothing has come thru. I sent you an email as you requested.

Thanks!
pohl4711
Full name: Stefan Pohl

Post by pohl4711 »

Don wrote:
We have MANY tester who have verified that Komodo 5 is much stronger than Komodo 4.
Hi all,

Komodo 5 is running for my LightSpeed-rankinglist. After 1800 games (of 9000), the score is 6% better than Komodo 4 (+40 Elo). Final result hopefully sunday morning here on talkchess and (german) CSS-forum.

Stefan