The Internet World Computer Chess Championship

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Ferdy

Re: The Internet World Computer Chess Championship

Post by Ferdy »

Peter Skinner wrote:I've set the date for the first stage of the IWCCC to September 29 - 30, 2012.

I have confirmed with HGM that his server will be available for those dates, so we are officially under way.

Registration is open as of now. www.cctchess.com

If there is anything in the rules to be debated, now it the time to do it. Rybka and Houdini will be allowed to participate (if they choose to) as I previously stated that this rule will even carry over to the CCT events. _This will not change_.

It's time this community moved forward and concentrated on chess and not the politics involved. I for one will no longer be playing that game; instead I will be concentrating on organizing the best possible events will the highest amount of participation which is what I feel everyone wants.

I will also no longer be arguing with Robert Houdart. It is pointless and not productive.

Peter

Code: Select all

Disconnection/Forfeit Rules

1. In the event of a disconnection, the party will be given 10 minutes to return to complete the game; and no more than 2 disconnections per game will be allowed. On the third time, the game will be a forfeit. This is absolute.
2. The Tournament Director will keep track of disconnections, and responsibility is his alone to enforce this rule. The opponent will not have the ability to choose to continue or to claim the win. The Tournament Director’s decision will be final.
3. In the event that a program can not continue a game due to interface or program issues, it will forfeit the game. Under no circumstances will a new game be formed or the game restarted.
Perhaps rule 3 is not required, rule 1 could be enough. If the engine will not disconnect but have problems in interface, then just wait to lose it on time.
Ferdy

Post by Ferdy »

Peter Skinner wrote:I've set the date for the first stage of the IWCCC to September 29 - 30, 2012.

I have confirmed with HGM that his server will be available for those dates, so we are officially under way.

Registration is open as of now. www.cctchess.com

If there is anything in the rules to be debated, now it the time to do it. Rybka and Houdini will be allowed to participate (if they choose to) as I previously stated that this rule will even carry over to the CCT events. _This will not change_.

It's time this community moved forward and concentrated on chess and not the politics involved. I for one will no longer be playing that game; instead I will be concentrating on organizing the best possible events will the highest amount of participation which is what I feel everyone wants.

I will also no longer be arguing with Robert Houdart. It is pointless and not productive.

Peter

Stage 3 is the Internet World Computer Chess Championship, where the two(2) top programs from the Round Robin Event will face each other in a 24 game match. The winner of that match will be determined to be leading by .5 points after 24 games. If there is a tie situation, games will proceed until one player has a 1.5 point advantage.
Unlimited number of games in case of tie after 24 games is not a good decision. Why not, after 24 games extension, if no engines lead by at least 2 points, the engine that leads even by 1 point will win, if still tied, then use the ranking in stage 2. The top between the 2 engines in stage 2 will win.
gleperlier

Post by gleperlier »

Hi Peter,

Would be great to have somewhere :

* the engines already registered

* a link "how to use H.G.M’s ICS Server"

And I have a final question : Will have Ippo family engine access to it ?

Cheers,

Gab
Peter Skinner
Full name: Peter Skinner

Post by Peter Skinner »

gleperlier wrote:Hi Peter,

Would be great to have somewhere :

* the engines already registered

* a link "how to use H.G.M’s ICS Server"

And I have a final question : Will have Ippo family engine access to it ?

Cheers,

Gab
No one is currently registered. Several people have technically registered, but none have paid the fee. So they aren't "in" until that is done.

I will put up something for HGM's server, but if you have ever used FICS/ICC, it is pretty much the same.

As for the Ippolit family, yes, everyone will have access to the event. As per the rules:

Clone/Derivatives Rules

There will only be one allowed version of each named program and will be on a first come/first server basis.
Any engine that is found to be “clone” of another program or close to it (e.g. engine output, pondering information, analysis of positions) will be declared void by the Tournament Director after seeking advice from notable sources. The notable sources will be individuals that have no active standing in other projects, and are respected within the computer chess community.
If a participants registers with program a and is found to be using program b, they will be removed from the event and will forfeit their entry fee.
That means anyone may register any engine, but only one instance of each engine will be accepted on a first come, first serve basis. So if you want to run an engine in the event, register first or forever hold your peace :)

Peter
I was kicked out of Chapters because I moved all the Bibles to the fiction section.
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

Peter Skinner wrote:That means anyone may register any engine, but only one instance of each engine will be accepted on a first come, first serve basis. So if you want to run an engine in the event, register first or forever hold your peace :)
I don't think that answers the question.

The question is: If I enter Ivanhoe, can someone else still enter FireBird? Or Robbolito? Or Ippolit?

In other words, how close is 'close'? Is Ivanhoe too close to Vitruvious? To Houdini, to Rybka? If they are too close, who of them will be allowed to enter? The first of the group that enters? Does every Ippo cloner counts as 'original author' so he can claim the use of that engine for himselve? Or can an early registration of my own Ploppolit (an epsilon-modified Ivanhoe) bar entrance of Ivanhoe?
Peter Skinner

Post by Peter Skinner »

hgm wrote: I don't think that answers the question.

The question is: If I enter Ivanhoe, can someone else still enter FireBird? Or Robbolito? Or Ippolit?

In other words, how close is 'close'? Is Ivanhoe too close to Vitruvious? To Houdini, to Rybka? If they are too close, who of them will be allowed to enter? The first of the group that enters? Does every Ippo cloner counts as 'original author' so he can claim the use of that engine for himselve? Or can an early registration of my own Ploppolit (an epsilon-modified Ivanhoe) bar entrance of Ivanhoe?
That is a good point, and I am unsure of an answer. Do you have any suggestions?

Being that we don't know exactly how close let's say Houdini is to Ivanhoe, or any of the Ippolit clones to each other, how do we limit them?

Just say one from that "family" of engines?

Peter
I was kicked out of Chapters because I moved all the Bibles to the fiction section.
Harvey Williamson
Full name: Harvey Williamson

Post by Harvey Williamson »

Peter Skinner wrote:

That is a good point, and I am unsure of an answer. Do you have any suggestions?

Being that we don't know exactly how close let's say Houdini is to Ivanhoe, or any of the Ippolit clones to each other, how do we limit them?

Just say one from that "family" of engines?

Peter
Do not allow any engine that does not have an author that it can be confirmed actually exists. That would allow Houdini and Critter but not allow the Ippo's.
Peter Skinner

Post by Peter Skinner »

Harvey Williamson wrote:
Ban any engine whose authorship can not be confirmed. that would allow Houdini and Critter but not allow the Ippo's.
Fair point.

How to word that into the existing rules however?

Peter
marcelk

Post by marcelk »

Peter Skinner wrote:

A similarity test.
Peter Skinner

Post by Peter Skinner »

marcelk wrote:
Peter Skinner wrote:

A similarity test.
Someone just emailed me that exact suggestion; do we exclude Houdini, Critter, and Rybka from the test being their authorship can be verified as Harvey suggested?

Peter