The Internet World Computer Chess Championship

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Harvey Williamson
Full name: Harvey Williamson

Re: The Internet World Computer Chess Championship

Post by Harvey Williamson »

Peter Skinner wrote:
Harvey Williamson wrote:
Ban any engine whose authorship can not be confirmed. that would allow Houdini and Critter but not allow the Ippo's.
Fair point.

How to word that into the existing rules however?

Peter
say something like you may ask an author to supply a copy of his passport and a, landline, phone number you can contact him on.
gleperlier

Post by gleperlier »

Hi Peter,

I am considering which engine I would like to enter and I have a last question : Will you make a special fee for old commercial engines ? Maybe we can set a date let's say engine published before .... will have a entry fee of 75$ ? and very old like amateur 50$

What do you think ?

Gab
Peter Skinner
Full name: Peter Skinner

Post by Peter Skinner »

gleperlier wrote:Hi Peter,

I am considering which engine I would like to enter and I have a last question : Will you make a special fee for old commercial engines ? Maybe we can set a date let's say engine published before .... will have a entry fee of 75$ ? and very old like amateur 50$

What do you think ?

Gab
I suppose if that is what you would like. What cut of date would you suggest?
I was kicked out of Chapters because I moved all the Bibles to the fiction section.
gleperlier

Post by gleperlier »

Peter Skinner wrote:
gleperlier wrote:Hi Peter,

What do you think ?

Gab
I suppose if that is what you would like. What cut of date would you suggest?
In fact to be honest I would like to enter ChessMaster XI and think it would be fair not to pay 100$ as I would pay for Komodo 5, Houdini, Rybka, Junior, Shredder or Hiarcs.

So if commercial engines published before January 1st 2008 could pay 75$ or 50$ like amateur, it would be great.

Gab
gleperlier

Post by gleperlier »

I am also considering playing with old french amateur Pharaon 3.5.1 :wink:

Gab
Peter Skinner
Full name: Peter Skinner

Post by Peter Skinner »

gleperlier wrote: In fact to be honest I would like to enter ChessMaster XI and think it would be fair not to pay 100$ as I would pay for Komodo 5, Houdini, Rybka, Junior, Shredder or Hiarcs.

So if commercial engines published before January 1st 2008 could pay 75$ or 50$ like amateur, it would be great.

Gab
That could certainly be arranged. The $50 Amateur fee seems best applied here.
I was kicked out of Chapters because I moved all the Bibles to the fiction section.
gleperlier

Post by gleperlier »

Peter Skinner wrote:
gleperlier wrote: In fact to be honest I would like to enter ChessMaster XI and think it would be fair not to pay 100$ as I would pay for Komodo 5, Houdini, Rybka, Junior, Shredder or Hiarcs.

Gab
That could certainly be arranged. The $50 Amateur fee seems best applied here.
Hello,

So I paid 50$ and registered Chessmaster XI :wink:

Cheers,

Gab
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

Peter Skinner wrote:
hgm wrote: I don't think that answers the question.

The question is: If I enter Ivanhoe, can someone else still enter FireBird? Or Robbolito? Or Ippolit?

In other words, how close is 'close'? Is Ivanhoe too close to Vitruvious? To Houdini, to Rybka? If they are too close, who of them will be allowed to enter? The first of the group that enters? Does every Ippo cloner counts as 'original author' so he can claim the use of that engine for himselve? Or can an early registration of my own Ploppolit (an epsilon-modified Ivanhoe) bar entrance of Ivanhoe?
That is a good point, and I am unsure of an answer. Do you have any suggestions?
1. Similarity tester. It ensures originality.

2. Give priority to authors who have been honest about their ippo origin.
Harvey Williamson
Full name: Harvey Williamson

Post by Harvey Williamson »

Rebel wrote: 1. Similarity tester. It ensures originality.
It ensures nothing but is a useful tool.
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

Harvey Williamson wrote:
Rebel wrote: 1. Similarity tester. It ensures originality.
It ensures nothing but is a useful tool.
Originality regarding moves choices depends where a TD draws the line. The CSVN made a choice for 60% which is tolerant. 55% is safe. Below 50% would be nonsense as it (for instance) would make Doch 9.980 (with 51½%) a clone of Fruit.

I think those who have studied the issue have recognized its importance and my advice to Peter would be to have some private talks with people who have experience with the software. The first person to talk to would be Adam. Others are, Miguel, Sven, Marcel.