The Internet World Computer Chess Championship

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Peter Skinner
Full name: Peter Skinner

Re: The Internet World Computer Chess Championship

Post by Peter Skinner »

kgburcham wrote:
hgm wrote:Now that you are breaking radically with past practice, you could consider to allow engines to be entered by other people than their author. As long as there is only a single copy of each engine, of course. Make it more a contest between engines as a contest between authors, as it were.

As it seems authors are not really interested in an event like this, and that it is mainly the users / fanboys that have been incessantly pushing for it, it only seems logical that they would also pay the entrance fee! :lol:
are we back to freestyle again?
No, there will be no centaur registrations allowed.
I was kicked out of Chapters because I moved all the Bibles to the fiction section.
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

Peter Skinner wrote:I'm not quite sure authors aren't interested in such an event. Then again if they aren't I see no reason not to allow anyone to register a program as long as there is only one instance of each engine.

Hard to verify however that only one instance does exist...
Well, you saw Robet Houdart's comments, I suppose...

I don't think the verification problem is worse than usual: if (say) Houdini is already entered, and another person also wants to use Houdini, and is prepared to cheat by saying it is another engine XXX.... He could also have done that when only authors are allowed to enter, and say he is the author of XXX.
Peter Skinner

Post by Peter Skinner »

hgm wrote:
Peter Skinner wrote:I'm not quite sure authors aren't interested in such an event. Then again if they aren't I see no reason not to allow anyone to register a program as long as there is only one instance of each engine.

I don't think the verification problem is worse than usual: if (say) Houdini is already entered, and another person also wants to use Houdini, and is prepared to cheat by saying it is another engine XXX.... He could also have done that when only authors are allowed to enter, and say he is the author of XXX.
True enough.
I was kicked out of Chapters because I moved all the Bibles to the fiction section.
Houdini

Post by Houdini »

Dan Honeycutt wrote:
Houdini wrote:There's no need for this charade, just continue to organize your tournaments and I will continue to not participate in them.
Hi Robert,

Would you object if someone else entered Houdini in Peter's tournament if that option were available?

Best
Dan H.
Please don't enter Houdini in a tournament organized by someone calling it "abused stolen source code for monetary gain".
Thank you,

Robert
Peter Skinner

Post by Peter Skinner »

Houdini wrote: Please don't enter Houdini in a tournament organized by someone calling it "abused stolen source code for monetary gain".
Thank you,

Robert
Does the truth hurt Robert? Did I offend you?

Peter
Houdini

Post by Houdini »

Why do you react in such a childish way?
Neither of us wants Houdini to participate in your tournament, so let's both be happy that it will not.
Peter Skinner

Post by Peter Skinner »

Houdini wrote:Why do you react in such a childish way?
Neither of us wants Houdini to participate in your tournament, so let's both be happy that it will not.
Childish?

Can you stop dancing like a little school girl as to the originality of your program? Did it not start out from the Ippolit/Robbolitto source? Did you not create it with the intention of going commercial? Why didn't you start from scratch and learn like the respected programmers here? What prior programs did you try to clone before giving up because they weren't as strong as you liked? Why do you refer to a chess program like it has feelings? Is that your way of speaking in the third person?

Let me answer these for you...

No you can't stop dancing around the issue because you simply won't admit to the nut huggers around here that your nothing more than a cloner.

Of course you started with the Robbolitto source; that has been proven over on the Open Chess forums.

Yes you chose the strongest available source as a starting point because you don't have the talent to start from scratch. You likely tried to clone Crafty before the Ippolit source, but when you couldn't get it to be the strongest program out, you failed to realize your commercial goals.

You refer to Houdini in the third part because it is all you are. Robert Houdart wouldn't exist here without it. It speaks for you, not the other way around.

You are simply a disgrace to this sport and prey on the people here for monetary gain.

Does that clear it up? Want to clarify anything?

Peter
Dan Honeycutt

Post by Dan Honeycutt »

Peter Skinner wrote:
hgm wrote:

True enough.
I obviously agree with HG, go ahead and open it to others if the author declines to enter. Author still has first rights if he decides to enter later. Add the stipulation that the program can be operated by someone other than the author or the author's designated operator provided:
1) The program license does not prohibit entry in such a tournament by a user, and
2) The author does not stipulate that he doesn't want his program to participate.

The last caveat I'd suggest is that the author has the option of entering a development version if he chooses. Others must play a version which has been tested by one of the established rating groups.

Best
Dan H.
Dan Honeycutt

Post by Dan Honeycutt »

Houdini wrote:
Dan Honeycutt wrote:
Houdini wrote:There's no need for this charade, just continue to organize your tournaments and I will continue to not participate in them.
Hi Robert,

Would you object if someone else entered Houdini in Peter's tournament if that option were available?

Best
Dan H.
Please don't enter Houdini in a tournament organized by someone calling it "abused stolen source code for monetary gain".
Thank you,

Robert
That's too bad. You have a lot of fans who would like to see it play. You snub them because of your spat with Peter.

I'd still respect your wishes and so suggested to Peter in my post just prior to this one.

Best
Dan H.
Houdini

Post by Houdini »

Dan Honeycutt wrote:That's too bad. You have a lot of fans who would like to see it play. You snub them because of your spat with Peter.

I'd still respect your wishes and so suggested to Peter in my post just prior to this one.

Best
Dan H.
Dan, thank you.