IWFC 2012 - Cancelled

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Peter Skinner
Full name: Peter Skinner

IWFC 2012 - Cancelled

Post by Peter Skinner »

Hello everyone,

I am cancelling IWFC 2012 as my son qualified for an event held the same weekend as I had scheduled IWFC 2012. Unfortunately I will not be able to get to a computer for 8 hours each day.

There didn't seem to be a lot of interest in the event anyway.

I will be posting about an event being planned for the middle of September shortly, hopefully having a secured sponsor for it. Just ironing out some details with them relating to the amount of advertising space on the CCT website and for how long those ads must remain.

Peter
I was kicked out of Chapters because I moved all the Bibles to the fiction section.
gleperlier

Re: IWFC 2012 - Cancelled

Post by gleperlier »

Peter Skinner wrote:Hello everyone,

I am cancelling IWFC 2012 as my son qualified for an event held the same weekend as I had scheduled IWFC 2012. Unfortunately I will not be able to get to a computer for 8 hours each day.

There didn't seem to be a lot of interest in the event anyway.

I will be posting about an event being planned for the middle of September shortly, hopefully having a secured sponsor for it. Just ironing out some details with them relating to the amount of advertising space on the CCT website and for how long those ads must remain.

Peter
Was not available the weekend in july. Will try to be available in September.

Cheers,

Gab
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

Peter Skinner wrote:There didn't seem to be a lot of interest in the event anyway.
Why do you think that was?

And what will be different in September to cure that?

You said the original idea was met by a flood of eager reactions. What put them off? Were these only reactions from would-be spectators, and is there no interest to participate? Did asking a fee kill it? Or allowing centaurs? Or that it was not on Paychess? Was it the date?

It would be useful to know that, if you don't want a repetition of this performance in September...
Harvey Williamson
Full name: Harvey Williamson

Post by Harvey Williamson »

hgm wrote:Did asking a fee kill it?
A clonefest tournament will probably always fail when asking an entry fee as the likely participants do not like to pay for anything.
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

Well, isn't that a brilliant solution to the entire clone problem, then? :lol:
Harvey Williamson

hgm wrote:Well, isn't that a brilliant solution to the entire clone problem, then? :lol:
Looks like we have 'cracked' it Harm :)
Peter Skinner

Post by Peter Skinner »

hgm wrote:Why do you think that was?
There was initial interest in the _original_ concept of allowing anyone and anything to compete. Big interest actually.

Once things started to change and become more of a formalized event with more rules and what not, things went sour.
hgm wrote:And what will be different in September to cure that?
In September there will be original authors only. There is a concept that I have come up with to have a REAL World Computer Chess Championship _match_ every year.

September will be the beginning of that process.
hgm wrote:You said the original idea was met by a flood of eager reactions. What put them off? Were these only reactions from would-be spectators, and is there no interest to participate? Did asking a fee kill it? Or allowing centaurs? Or that it was not on Paychess? Was it the date?
See above. The fee if anything should have stayed at $100. This was the biggest complaint that potential participants had. Maybe they didn't feel the new fee would be substantial enough to give up an entire weekend?
hgm wrote:It would be useful to know that, if you don't want a repetition of this performance in September...
Trust me, things will be _much_ different in September and will have a purpose more than just a weekend event.

Peter
I was kicked out of Chapters because I moved all the Bibles to the fiction section.
marcelk

Post by marcelk »

Peter Skinner wrote: I am cancelling IWFC 2012
Darn, the cluster I ordered for it just arrived yesterday.
Peter Skinner

Post by Peter Skinner »

marcelk wrote:
You won't have to wait long to use it... :)
Harvey Williamson

Peter Skinner wrote:
marcelk wrote:
You won't have to wait long to use it... :)
Peter, I hope that before starting a new World Championship, with a 'sponsor,' you will make sure I and others receive the prizes we won in previous CCT tournaments, with 'sponsors.' I am still waiting for my dual core amd CPU.