IWFC 2012 - Cancelled

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Harvey Williamson, bob

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the [d] tag before the upgrade.
Post Reply
Peter Skinner
Posts: 1758
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2006 12:49 pm
Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Contact:

IWFC 2012 - Cancelled

Post by Peter Skinner » Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:57 pm

Hello everyone,

I am cancelling IWFC 2012 as my son qualified for an event held the same weekend as I had scheduled IWFC 2012. Unfortunately I will not be able to get to a computer for 8 hours each day.

There didn't seem to be a lot of interest in the event anyway.

I will be posting about an event being planned for the middle of September shortly, hopefully having a secured sponsor for it. Just ironing out some details with them relating to the amount of advertising space on the CCT website and for how long those ads must remain.

Peter
I got kicked out of Chapters because I moved all the Bible's to the fiction section.

User avatar
gleperlier
Posts: 1033
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:03 pm

Re: IWFC 2012 - Cancelled

Post by gleperlier » Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:54 pm

Peter Skinner wrote:Hello everyone,

I am cancelling IWFC 2012 as my son qualified for an event held the same weekend as I had scheduled IWFC 2012. Unfortunately I will not be able to get to a computer for 8 hours each day.

There didn't seem to be a lot of interest in the event anyway.

I will be posting about an event being planned for the middle of September shortly, hopefully having a secured sponsor for it. Just ironing out some details with them relating to the amount of advertising space on the CCT website and for how long those ads must remain.

Peter
Was not available the weekend in july. Will try to be available in September.

Cheers,

Gab

User avatar
hgm
Posts: 23363
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:06 am
Location: Amsterdam
Full name: H G Muller
Contact:

Re: IWFC 2012 - Cancelled

Post by hgm » Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:06 pm

Peter Skinner wrote:There didn't seem to be a lot of interest in the event anyway.
Why do you think that was?

And what will be different in September to cure that?

You said the original idea was met by a flood of eager reactions. What put them off? Were these only reactions from would-be spectators, and is there no interest to participate? Did asking a fee kill it? Or allowing centaurs? Or that it was not on Paychess? Was it the date?

It would be useful to know that, if you don't want a repetition of this performance in September...

User avatar
Harvey Williamson
Posts: 1763
Joined: Sun May 25, 2008 9:12 pm
Location: Media City, UK
Contact:

Re: IWFC 2012 - Cancelled

Post by Harvey Williamson » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:13 pm

hgm wrote:Did asking a fee kill it?
A clonefest tournament will probably always fail when asking an entry fee as the likely participants do not like to pay for anything.

User avatar
hgm
Posts: 23363
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:06 am
Location: Amsterdam
Full name: H G Muller
Contact:

Re: IWFC 2012 - Cancelled

Post by hgm » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:41 pm

Well, isn't that a brilliant solution to the entire clone problem, then? :lol:

User avatar
Harvey Williamson
Posts: 1763
Joined: Sun May 25, 2008 9:12 pm
Location: Media City, UK
Contact:

Re: IWFC 2012 - Cancelled

Post by Harvey Williamson » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:45 pm

hgm wrote:Well, isn't that a brilliant solution to the entire clone problem, then? :lol:
Looks like we have 'cracked' it Harm :)

Peter Skinner
Posts: 1758
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2006 12:49 pm
Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Contact:

Re: IWFC 2012 - Cancelled

Post by Peter Skinner » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:54 pm

hgm wrote:Why do you think that was?
There was initial interest in the _original_ concept of allowing anyone and anything to compete. Big interest actually.

Once things started to change and become more of a formalized event with more rules and what not, things went sour.
hgm wrote:And what will be different in September to cure that?
In September there will be original authors only. There is a concept that I have come up with to have a REAL World Computer Chess Championship _match_ every year.

September will be the beginning of that process.
hgm wrote:You said the original idea was met by a flood of eager reactions. What put them off? Were these only reactions from would-be spectators, and is there no interest to participate? Did asking a fee kill it? Or allowing centaurs? Or that it was not on Paychess? Was it the date?
See above. The fee if anything should have stayed at $100. This was the biggest complaint that potential participants had. Maybe they didn't feel the new fee would be substantial enough to give up an entire weekend?
hgm wrote:It would be useful to know that, if you don't want a repetition of this performance in September...
Trust me, things will be _much_ different in September and will have a purpose more than just a weekend event.

Peter
I got kicked out of Chapters because I moved all the Bible's to the fiction section.

User avatar
marcelk
Posts: 348
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:21 pm
Contact:

Re: IWFC 2012 - Cancelled

Post by marcelk » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:04 pm

Peter Skinner wrote: I am cancelling IWFC 2012
Darn, the cluster I ordered for it just arrived yesterday.

Peter Skinner
Posts: 1758
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2006 12:49 pm
Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Contact:

Re: IWFC 2012 - Cancelled

Post by Peter Skinner » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:05 pm

marcelk wrote:
Peter Skinner wrote: I am cancelling IWFC 2012
Darn, the cluster I ordered for it just arrived yesterday.
You won't have to wait long to use it... :)
I got kicked out of Chapters because I moved all the Bible's to the fiction section.

User avatar
Harvey Williamson
Posts: 1763
Joined: Sun May 25, 2008 9:12 pm
Location: Media City, UK
Contact:

Re: IWFC 2012 - Cancelled

Post by Harvey Williamson » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:13 pm

Peter Skinner wrote:
marcelk wrote:
Peter Skinner wrote: I am cancelling IWFC 2012
Darn, the cluster I ordered for it just arrived yesterday.
You won't have to wait long to use it... :)
Peter, I hope that before starting a new World Championship, with a 'sponsor,' you will make sure I and others receive the prizes we won in previous CCT tournaments, with 'sponsors.' I am still waiting for my dual core amd CPU.

Post Reply