ProDeo 1.8 Running under Arena

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Amstaff

ProDeo 1.8 Running under Arena

Post by Amstaff »

Hello I have ProDeo 1.8 running under Arena but the hash size says 7Mb when it should be set at 128 Mb.
Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks in advance,
Gerald
Werner
Full name: Werner Schüle

Re: ProDeo 1.8 Running under Arena

Post by Werner »

...have a look inside taskmanager for
ProDeo.exe

Arena only shows the hash? for rebeluci.exe which is wb2uci and not the chess program itself.

Or better have a look at param.txt inside the ProDeo folder when the program is running.
Werner
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

wb2uci does not communicate the hash size to the engine? Or does ProDeo.exe not support the memory command?
Werner

Post by Werner »

of course it does - only Arena shows the hash of the wrong program, if you install Pro Deo as uci engíne.
Werner
Amstaff

Post by Amstaff »

Hello , I have installed ProDeo as Ed described for Arena. . .as the rebel.uci engine. It is running as a uci engine. It loads and runs fine, it is just that the Hash displayed by Arena says 7Mb.
Thanks,
Gerald
styx

Post by styx »

read what Werner Schüle wrote. look in your task manager, not in the arena gui how much memory rebeluci.exe allocates. if the value the task manager displays is around 131072 kilobytes, everything is fine.
hgm

Post by hgm »

Werner wrote:of course it does - only Arena shows the hash of the wrong program, if you install Pro Deo as uci engíne.
I don't get it. How can it show the hash of the wrong program? There is only one program that is using hash, right? If I understood you correctly rebeluci.exe = wb2uci.exe is just an adapter, and has no hash table.

So if Arena passes on the hash size it displays to the adapter, and the adapter pases it on to the engine, then why would the engine not use that hash size?
Werner

Post by Werner »

Hm,
why not trying it?
Arena installs in this case rebeluci.exe with a sice of 7.624k and Arena shows this with 7MB.
rebeluci installs then ProDeo.exe with the correct hash - here e.g. taskmanager shows 373.416K.
BTW: when I load CuckooChess 1.12 I have the same:
cuckoochess has 6.520K and java.exe has 273.658K when setting is 256MB has.
Werner
hgm

Post by hgm »

No need to try it, I believe you. But then I don't understand your earlier "of course it does". Perhaps you meant "of course it doesn't", but then I am still not sure who does not not do what.

The fact that it also occurs on other engines suggests that it is an Arena bug. Or are these just two buggy engines that do ignore the hash command, and are there other engines for which it works correctly?
hgm

Post by hgm »

Well, I am just curious. I was assuming that when Arena displays the hash it is not displaying what you specified in the GUI. But from what you are saying, I understand now that it acually reports the memory footprint of the engine process, and that this is what confuses people in case the 'engine' is actually an adapter. OK, that clears everything up for me, thanks.